HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2014, 09:53 AM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I do not remember the Watts, but I know for sure that the MAS 13x8.5 prop on the Waco motor was pulling 57A at WOT, static. An APC style prop will no doubt be more efficient, but I loved the look of my chrome skinned MAS prop. With an APC prop, you can probably go up to a 14 inch prop on the Waco 650kv motor, and not kill it.

-CC
I think the steeper pitch of the 13X8 makes the prop more audible. especially on low speed fly bys. A flutter sort of sound.
This makes me curious, I wonder what the wattage would be with a 14X8 MAS?
mkpatrick is online now Find More Posts by mkpatrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:09 AM
teaching to learn
United States, NC, Greenville
Joined Oct 2013
3,054 Posts
I'm going with the 13x6.5 Xoar. The exact same prop and power system currently on my Waco.
millerr74 is online now Find More Posts by millerr74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my birds
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:51 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,200 Posts
To really see experience and understand the GeeBee Y on 4s with 13x6.5 XOAR PJN Wood Prop sound.......you have to throw your transmitter to the ground during take off at WOT

Just sayin' it all sounds Bad to the Bone

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:23 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick View Post
I think the steeper pitch of the 13X8 makes the prop more audible. especially on low speed fly bys. A flutter sort of sound.
MAS props pull hard and all, but it is the undercamber that causes their unique sound. Honestly, I like running MAS GF nitro series props, buecause they run smoother, and pull less amps. They still look more realistic than an APC. A 14 inch MAS would probably cause the motor to bake itself to death. Mine ran very hot on 13x8.5. If you want more performance, without changing motors yet again, I would steer away from MAS E series props if you go any bigger.

-CC
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:29 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick View Post
That flutter sound is cavitation most likely. Whenever you get pitch over the number 6 you can have this. Basically the prop is starving for air and is kind of freewheeling with no bite. Once it moves forward a little bit then it bites and moves on. The 13x8 prop with the stock motor will be ok on 3s but not on 4s. I think that is over amping the motor. The lower 650kv motor would be able to handle that easily...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33