HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2014, 06:32 PM
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Question
Which Plane?

I have around 20 acres of flying field. There is grass as well as dirt baseball fields that I could takeoff and land in. I want to get a 4ch trainer, as I have done well on my 3ch Firebird Phantom (which I know no longer have). I am trying to decide which of these planes I should buy.
Airfield Blazer-looks nice and it comes with two kinds of wings - a sport wing and a dihedral trainer wing. I am not sure about the range. I like the price ($180) and its in stock! The only thing is that I think it may not come with a charger, which seems weird for an RTF. Am I wrong?
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a283-blaze ... f-24g.html
Or is this one better:
http://www.amazon.com/FMS-1400mm-Tra...cm_cr_dpwidget
francismchenk is offline Find More Posts by francismchenk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2014, 08:25 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,590 Posts
For $180 you can get a 4 channel Delta Ray RTF . Take a look at the video at the bottom of the page in this link .
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nology-HBZ7900
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Aug 26, 2014, 08:29 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,251 Posts
Rtf should come with charger. One thing to think about is parts availability on those planes.
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:03 PM
Profiled Interfraction
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,958 Posts
Trikes can get squirrely for a beginner. I'd suggest a tail dragger.

Only RTF ?, no minor build/assembly ?
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:08 PM
Profiled Interfraction
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,958 Posts
SkySurfer ?, still need a charger thou.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/05a79-sky...d-rtf-24g.html
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:05 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William A View Post
There is virtually ZERO advantage to taildraggers.... trying to remember to hold the tail on the ground so you can steer against prop torque when taking off but not overdo it and end up with the plane stalling is an extra layer of complexity a beginner doesn't need.
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Aug 27, 2014, 08:35 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,627 Posts
Get the ParkZone T-28.
Leo L is online now Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
678 Posts
The FMS shows to have weak nose gear, but still got many good reviews from people. Landing gear on many planes as they get heavy need to be stronger. There is a lot more flyers and info and videos of the FMS plane on the net. Only found one new guy review on the Blazer here on on RCG. The you tube reviews of it seem to be the people selling it, Which you know are always good. Do the search on RCG and it well show reviews and forums about these planes. I always get planes with lots of info and parts for repair. There no fun sitting in your plane room. I have a plane close to the FMS flys good but harder than my trainers and I do use a runway with it.
papadwight is offline Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by papadwight; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:03 PM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
274 Posts
Both of those planes are nice looking planes. I have not seen many if any posts from people citing experience, either good or bad with those planes.

I have two Ares Gamma 370 and have found them to be excellent flying planes, they can grow with you (from 3 channel to 4, from brushed to brushless, from 2s to 3s), and they are in your price range.

But they don't look as close to scale or as pretty as the two that you are looking at.

Regards
Joe Perrone is online now Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:54 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William A View Post

Only RTF ?, no minor build/assembly ?
As a full scale pilot I will respectfully disagree. I have flown rc for 7 years and flown full scale for 2 and a tail dragger vs trike is night and day. Maybe just an opinion.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:57 PM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
274 Posts
I was scared to death of tail draggers because of all the negatives about them. I actually find them much easier than tricycle.
Everyone is different etc. I would not put myself as an expert of even intermediate flier, just maybe an advanced beginner, and I found most of what people said about tail draggers to be a bit exaggerated; they aren't that bad!

Regards
Joe Perrone is online now Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Aug 30, 2014, 05:19 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,911 Posts
Lol! I wish I had a dime for every time i've seen a post like 'When I'm trying to take off with my Cub it just veers off 90 degrees from the direction I'm taking off from for no reason at all! What's wrong with my plane?'
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Aug 30, 2014, 07:04 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,159 Posts
Well, my Slow Stick is a taildragger and I've always found it dead easy! <ducks>
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 30, 2014, 09:20 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
I will say that my 4* 40 is a pretty easy tail dragger, probably comparable to a trike, but when you get into the 80 inch cub, you have a different animal. Some planes are okay for beginners, others are not.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1