SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 08, 2013, 06:18 AM
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Aug 2013
335 Posts
Discussion
3d foamie scratch built or kit setup

I'm really experienced at 3d on the sim but haven't got a plane to fly is there a really good kit or some good plans anyone has

The smaller the better since I have a small flying field also what electronics would I use with a dx6i

It would help to know everything like motor esc servos lipo etc.

I want to stay under 100 maybe even under 50 for just electronics but that probably won't happen so what do u think I can make my own but just need to know what motors and servos work the best for 3d I'mm thinking about maybe under 24" if at all possible with a scratchbuilt so I can fly in my front yard as well
soccerj4y is offline Find More Posts by soccerj4y
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
109 Posts
Best model out there in that size is the Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak mini, with recommended power system.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786763
Ryan1325 is offline Find More Posts by Ryan1325
Old Aug 08, 2013, 10:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2013
178 Posts
Mmmmm the chap is just a novice, is the mini Yak that easy to fly? I don't have one, i am not saying they are unsuitable, i am just saying check on this.
You may be better starting on a slightly bigger or more stable model. For a budget, build your own, stick to standard mini servos (hextronic 500's are great, reliable, robust and cheap) a good 17-19g brushless outrunner, and a 12amp ESC (not turnigy, hobbywing or hyperon, buy JPEnergypro or ZTW - all the same price but way differing performances!).
As for the plans, to save you looking through 48 pages...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...851608&page=48
For the Lounge you will need 17g 300mah batteries (Turnigy nanotec) and for the Rasta you will need 32g 450mah batteries.
Die Hard is offline Find More Posts by Die Hard
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 08, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Oct 2011
109 Posts
OMG it flys itself...IMO much better than your hovering Lounge Lizard with the ailerons stuck.
Old Aug 08, 2013, 06:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2013
178 Posts
Seems people go buy flying style than a the actual plane, rather like sheep. Do you do a Baaaa
impression?
Old Aug 09, 2013, 01:57 AM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2013
283 Posts
Agreed with die hard go bigger! At least 36-51"... I would recommend the HK yak 55, I have that with a 3010B motor and a 10x4.7 prop, 3s 1600-1800mah and 50a esc... The motor is 420w and the plane is 1056mm I believe... It's a great plane to learn on and really unlimited vertical! Also the build is very very easy and total for all electronics and plane is about 104$ ... You can fly it as slow as a turtle and really open it up to do the vertical and tumbles! Just my opinion I'm sure there are people against hobbyking, but I feel like its just like a pair of jeans, you can buy a 300$ pair with design on the rear or Levi's for 50$, they both do the same thing and cover your junk one just has a name behind it. Just my 2 cents
RCstudent is offline Find More Posts by RCstudent
Old Aug 09, 2013, 06:32 AM
Joined Oct 2011
109 Posts
Kind of tough to go bigger when the OP field is already small if planes were meant to sit on a shelf then sure I'd say its like a pair of jeans, but too bad they don't...HK SUCKS!!!!
Old Aug 09, 2013, 09:30 AM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2013
283 Posts
Lol @ Ryan . Soccer you could always do they HK mx2 epp... I know that winners model sold the design to HK since more people buy from HK.... It's the winner models plane without the logo. These are just options not saying this plans is better than that plane etc... Im just going off of price, design, flying ability... The most bang for your buck would be these two, you could always go the great route and buy the 3dhs epp full fuse for for 99$ and spend another 100$ on electronics and it would poop on all the planes we posted but who wants to spend 200$ on a epp plane? I'm very pleased with HKs epp stuff, btw the yak 55 epp is techones model that techone let HK sell under there name also.
RCstudent is offline Find More Posts by RCstudent
Old Aug 09, 2013, 09:39 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
My recommendation would be pretty much any of the TwistedHobbys planes 32" or under. And if you are looking to save some $$ they have inexpensive power combos.

Don't shy away from the minis... I've heard nothing but great things about them, period. The mini Crack Pitts might be the way to go... the bigger one is my favorite and the extra wing makes it ridiculously floaty. That with a mini power combo is right near your budget and would perform great.

Twisted Hobbys Crack Pitts Mini RC Airplane (2 min 44 sec)
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Last edited by FireyFate; Aug 09, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2013, 03:14 PM
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Aug 2013
335 Posts
If i went the scratchbuilt route with a 30" what electronics are the best but the cheapest for slow 3d flight i want to get it super cheap (like $50 if i can even though its asking a lot i got a dx6i right now and am totally new to building so any belp greatly appreciated)i already fly helis like an amateur but i can do almost anything but the harrier roll on the sim and i find it mildly easy since i understand planes so much better than helis

Also what plans are recommended and should i go mono or biplane
soccerj4y is offline Find More Posts by soccerj4y
Old Aug 09, 2013, 03:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2013
178 Posts
I just designed a 3d Bipe and after not flying one for 15 years i was amazed how steady they are. By this i don't mean they can't rock, they can and do, what i mean is they sit in the air a lot more fixed. Sooo for example, when learning to do new maneuvers they give you much more confidence and time to do anything on the edge. The video below shows examples of what i am talking about. I am learning again having been out of the hobby for over 10 years. I have gotten back to a reasonable level, but realized i haven't been doing much inverted flying. In fact after putting 20 videos on YT none of them had inverted flying. On the very first flights with this new design i was inverted crazy. It also was more durable than an monoplane becoz there is two wings spreading the bad landing, two struts and so on. Note the next flights will be better when i improve the aileron throw and upgrade the motor. The plans will be on here on Monday if you are interested.

Scratch Built 3D Foamie Bipe 'Have It' 1st test flights (5 min 21 sec)
Old Aug 09, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
109 Posts
If you're new to building then honestly a kit would do you more justice. Scratch building isn't for everyone.I honestly think building GS is easier than scratch building a foamy, in a sense.