SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Hovering Car Project

I am currently working on a project of a hovering car. The hovering car will be built off of 4 EDF fans on the bottom (one in each corner) provide lift and 1 EDF fan in rear to provide forward thrust. For steering, I plan on increasing power to two motors on the sides to engage in a turn. I also want the rear fan's power to be adjustable for speed. I plan to be using the EDF fan (preassembled with motor) from HobbyKing with the specs:

Test Voltage: 11.1v
Test Current: 18A
Thrust: 470g
Power: 199.8w
Motor: ADH300L 4300kv
Outer Diameter: 58mm
Length: 42mm
Weight: 58g

Test Results:
@10v | 17A | 430g | 170W |
@11v | 18A | 470g | 199.8W

I frankly am not an electrical engineer so I barely know what the electrics of this means. Also, since I am a novice with electronics, I don't know how I could control the speed/power of the motors. Nor do I know now to set up a simple to control this via a radio remote.

Can you guys please help by giving me a specifications of the batteries I should use (Li-ion), along with a method of speed control. Also, some help would be nice on setting up a communication method with the speed controllers. As a side note, my budget would be under $150.
mrnoisytiger is offline Find More Posts by mrnoisytiger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
which way is up?
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
If your trying to make it fly like the car in Back to the Future 2, then you'll need to do some reading in the multirotor electronics forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/multirotor-electronics-792/

I'd discourage using EDF, they are very power-hungry, heavy, and not designed for static thrust, aka hover. You can get a good semi-scale look using a normal quadrotor as a base for your model.

Good luck with your project!

edit: Someone made the flying delorian With standard props.
Flying Time Machine from the movie "Back to the Future" (2 min 11 sec)
PilotAir is offline Find More Posts by PilotAir
Old Jul 04, 2013, 01:58 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
440 Posts
I agree with Pilotair, best to start with a normal prop quad, especially if your going to carry a car body. I've seen a lot of quad car. Basically its an quad with a plastic RC car body on top with the rotors positioned where the wheels would normally be. They look cool at night with LEDs! Maybe later with experience you can then try substituting in EDFs for the props.
Based on your EDFs, I'd say build a quad (kit?) that uses somewhere around 30A ESCs. That way later on you can just sub in the EDFs with no change to ESCs. For batteries, at the very least a 3C (3-5AH), but more then likely 4C (3-5AH) especially if you're going to use EDFs later. Always use good quality batteries with a least 30-45C.
rhokita is offline Find More Posts by rhokita