SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2013, 11:21 PM
Peotone,Il USA
Joined Apr 2004
187 Posts
Discussion
Intelligent operation

Which of the Arduino controllers allow for intelligent operation?

Thanks Joe
Joe P is offline Find More Posts by Joe P
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2013, 10:05 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,769 Posts
Define 'intelligent operation'?

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old May 03, 2013, 10:25 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,538 Posts
You may mean "intelligent orientation" mode. Some also refer to it as "Carefree Mode" ala Mikrocopter. Code and function wise, it's also been termed "Orientation Independent Mode control". So you're maybe referring to it in this way? Forward on the stick is always forward or away from the pilot movement, back is always back, left is always left, right is always right regardless of whichever way the multirotor/craft is facing. Some of the multiwii arduino's can do it (ish), as well as the Arducopter and MPNG. Unfortunately your compass has to be pretty good quality. If that's the mode you really want, you may want to go Naza with GPS instead or Mikrocopter (on the high end). Although, I can tell you that flying in that mode is wonky feeling. Mostly it seems to be geared towards people that can't get used to flying normally.
HansAuf is online now Find More Posts by HansAuf
Last edited by HansAuf; May 03, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old May 03, 2013, 10:53 PM
Joined Feb 2013
976 Posts
MultiWii has this and I'm pretty sure Mega Pirate NG does, too. Only DJI calls it "Intelligent Orientation Control" or IOC. I don't think it's the way to go, however. Learn to fly the conventional way.
Electro 2 is offline Find More Posts by Electro 2
Old Mar 23, 2014, 03:19 PM
Nose In Crash Expert.
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Nov 2006
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro 2 View Post
MultiWii has this and I'm pretty sure Mega Pirate NG does, too. Only DJI calls it "Intelligent Orientation Control" or IOC. I don't think it's the way to go, however. Learn to fly the conventional way.
Fly the conventional way? I wonder if pilots of actual aircraft ever get the urge the turn the stick the opposite way they want the aircraft to go.

Seems far more "conventional" using IOC imo.

The only reason R/C pilots have had to use the "conventional " method in the past is because of the limitation of the technology.

I'm sure many people hung on to the typewriter for a long time too, insisting it was better than the computer word processor.
darowden is offline Find More Posts by darowden
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:22 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
When an computer word processor fails it doesn't do so in a way that can decapitate people. You get noise on your compass or one of your other sensors and you better know how to fly normally to get your craft down if you want it in one piece and safely
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:35 PM
Nose In Crash Expert.
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Nov 2006
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
When an computer word processor fails it doesn't do so in a way that can decapitate people. You get noise on your compass or one of your other sensors and you better know how to fly normally to get your craft down if you want it in one piece and safely
I understand what you are saying, I just don't understand the negative attitude by some towards different methods of flying made possible by technology. I tend to be a luddite, but when things are actually simplified by tech rather than made more complicated, I see that as a good thing.

Yes, you should be able to land and fly your model safely. But beyond that it is really all personal preference. Any component can fail, or be interfered with and often is, even with so-called conventional flying.
darowden is offline Find More Posts by darowden