HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
Can I use a 4 channel radio for the Chrysalis ?

I have a four channel Futaba radio and wondered if I can use this on the Electric Chrysalis ? My throttle is on the left stick which operates up and down not side to side. I have a speed controller .
I am a newbie to RC so please excuse my innocent questions? FishHawk
FishHawk is offline Find More Posts by FishHawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:46 AM
So many projects...
United States, IN, West Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
124 Posts
FishHawk,
Yes, the Futaba 4 channel will work well. The left stick up/down travel will be your throttle control for the electic motor, and the rest of the controls are dependant on your preferance for mode 1,2,3, or 4. The manual that came with the radio should explain these set-ups and installation. Try Futaba's web site if you don't have the manual, or other threads in R/C Groups.
There is a lot of very good information here; you can learn lots!

Best of luck,
soarguy
soarguy is offline Find More Posts by soarguy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Thanks for your help.

I though that it would , thanks again. FishHawk
FishHawk is offline Find More Posts by FishHawk
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:30 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
It is highly recommended that you remove the propeller for setting up your radio.

The prop is a sharp knife turning at high revolutions if it start accidentally or start unexpectedly.

Do not ask me how I know.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,594 Posts
Yep. A basic 4 channel radio should work just fine. I also strongly suggest that you find an experienced flier to help get you started. We here at RC Groups will do all we can to offer help but there's no substitute to having an instructor. Good luck and have fun!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,029 Posts
Well, not exactly. The Chrysalis electric 2-meter also has spoilers.

You need the right stick for elevator and rudder functions (since there are no ailerons, rudder is the primary roll control, and therefore it goes on the right stick).

For the motor's speed control, you use the throttle function on the left stick.

So, what to do about the spoilers? Yes, it needs them, that's why they're standard equipment.

The left-right, spring-loaded to the middle "rudder" function on the left stick is not good for spoilers. Therefore, you need either a fifth channel (the landing gear switch) or a sixth channel (the slider for flaps).
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,305 Posts
A 5 Ch radio would properly solve the problem for spoilers but if you don't mind being creative you can use channel 4 by setting up spoiler deployed by moving the stick to the right (or left). Not ideal but less rube goldberg than setting things up with escapments for R/E/Throttle: 1 blip right; 2 blips left,...
Ray
kostuk is online now Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
How about buiding in the spoilers but not connecting up to a servo and use partial throttle to unfold the prop to control overspeed coming down?

Then save up for a Jeti 16 to open up a whole world of possibilities.
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Jun 2005
4,029 Posts
We're talking about a beginner here. Cobbled-together solutions that result in complicated, less-than-intuitive control operations on final approach are not what someone in that stage of the learning process is ready to deal with.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
You're a newbie to RC, but are you a newbie to soldering and stuff like that? You could put a pot with a nice big knob on the transmitter somewhere and run either the throttle or the spoilers off of that. My vote would be to keep the spoilers on the throttle stick. But I'm not sure it's worth it unless money is very tight and another channel is a big problem.

I think it's best if you can provide continuous control of the spoilers rather than an on-off switch. If your power system is moderate, you could perhaps use an on off switch, but I don't know if that's a good idea. Might have safety implications, and if you have too much power, it would make the glider too hard to control.

If you have a really large flat field you can probably learn to fly without the spoilers, although the Chrysalis may be less amenable to that than gliders which have less of a speed range.

Don probably won't like this, but I could see putting a spring on the throttle function to center it, and then using up for the motor and down for the spoilers. Providing you can get the speed control to stop when the stick is in the middle. The transmitter manuals I've seen, as I recall, say you can put a spring on that stick if you want to. If you did this, it would be important to keep your hand away from the left stick most of the time.

BTW, do yourself a favor and do a really nice job setting up your spoilers so they won't stick or warp, but fit snugly and flush. Plenty of info on rc groups about spoilers. Mine is the best, of course! ;-p
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,305 Posts
FishHawk,
If you are a beginner just fly it R/E with your current radio. You only need spoiers for contest landing points. You should learn how to fly your Crysalis without spoilers first and then progress to the more complex system. You might want to build the spoilers in the wing according to the plans so in case you want to add them later you can. That's probably your best option if you don't want to buy a 5-6 CH radio.
Good Luck!
Ray
kostuk is online now Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Jun 2005
4,029 Posts
That depends on his flying area. If he has a landing zone with any significant constrictions, he will want and need the spoilers.

We originally intended the 2-meter Chrysalis as a sport model and trainer, NOT as a contest airplane (even though folks have flown them in the NATS, and done respectably well there). The first time I flew the prototype at the local park, I said to myself "This airplane MUST have spoilers!" We decided then and there to make spoilers standard equipment.

One of our customers described it as having "the same float as a Gentle Lady, but twice the range." Without the spoilers it can be difficult to get down unless you have a huge amount of open space. With the spoilers it's much easier.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:37 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,108 Posts
Consider getting an inexpensive 6 channel radio. Problem solved.
jaizon is online now Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
Where's the fun in that? If you just solve the problem, things get boring.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,108 Posts
Oops. My bad.
jaizon is online now Find More Posts by jaizon