SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JamesNeal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,874 Posts
Your right of course. I just get galled easily.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:20 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
JamesNeal/SouthPark is saying ridiculous stuff for this kind of reaction. I don't think it's to be malicious. I think it's being done in jest. I'll bet he's having a good laugh anyways...
This brand of humor is not funny at all. The OP may laugh, but if this was posted in jest, I say the original post and succeeding posts that supported the original, were irresponsible, retarded and stupid.

Actually, if you search all the posts by the OP, he does seem like a regular fellow, with a sense of humor. But one should be sensitive
enough to know when he crosses the "safety" line. Joke about something else, but do not fool around with safety issues.

Nobody should make light of safety issues, not in gun forums, and not in this forum.

Like I said earlier, mature RCers will have no problem dismissing the OP as frivolous, but I am concerned about newbies or less experienced flyers and those who believe anything and everything on the internet as gospel truth.

You know the saying that the wrong, if heard often enough, becomes the truth. That is the reason some of us responded the way we did.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,874 Posts
Yep, well said easyrider.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:17 PM
Respect my AUTHORIFLYHHHH !!
Joined Sep 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNeal View Post
...and for those so inclined, a lil' puff of da chronic makes for a sublime session.
I hear yu Bro, bit of a chug 'n' choof and there aren't no propellers ,obstacles, boundaries ,yu planes not a plane anymore she becomes a
'Homesick Angel' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
How about trimming in a little rudder on a RET so you can relax with eyes closed and really enjoy that feeling? I bet SouthPark would like that.
Nice one Sounds like my night flights with no lights you gottta use all your other senses man,it's intense but you feel so alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
. Trolls are as trolls do. Not worth the time to condemn it. We just carry on as if he weren't there.
Bro ! #110 posts in and you're still banging on about 'ignoring The troll' Aint no Trolls here Dog,just Brothers with a positive relaxed attitude, come join us man

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
This brand of humor is not funny at all.
, but I am concerned about newbies or less experienced flyers and those who believe anything and everything on the internet as gospel truth.
Better hope said young blood doesn't rock up to his /her local hobby shop and purchase an RTF , I mean the box says RTF if taken literally , no need to range check, safety check just fly...........
Anyway the box should read BTF , IMHO
Brewski Then Fly.
Chill homies
SouthParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by SouthParkflyer
Last edited by SouthParkflyer; Oct 12, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined Jul 2010
150 Posts
It never seems to fail; you're concerned about doing something responsibly, and some one comes along and says you are uptight and need to "chill".

Fortunately, it's a minority opinion. Such people are still entitled to speak their opinion, however, misinformed as they may be.

It is a little tiresome to hear this same discussion repeated again and again, though.

Tom
tr4252 is offline Find More Posts by tr4252
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:41 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
It IS a spectrum though, Tom. Some people do go overboard, and going too far can sometimes cause a problem too. In addition to raining on everyone's parade, an overzealous safety officer can become focused on things that don't matter a whole lot, while ignoring the big picture. Some people really do need to lighten up - and reducing stress, so that you are in a clear frame of mind, is probably the most important safety factor anyway. I've known people who were so nervous about safety issues that they couldn't think straight, and thinking straight is safety issue number one. This discussion will never get old, and I think it's helpful to have it every now and then.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:26 PM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Looks like rain over here, today.
cheezels is offline Find More Posts by cheezels
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:42 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,409 Posts
Quote:
Looks like rain over here, today.
Good day to skip the outdoor run and stay inside on the treadmill, eh?

I propose a new RCG concept, The Haney Constant: "The length of an off-topic thread multiplied by the coefficient of post quality is directly proportional to the likelihood of the mention of a treadmill".

Or: "As threads get longer and dumber, it becomes more likely that someone will bring up treadmills."
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:48 PM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
I do actually have a treadmill!

What were the chances??

Still hasn't rained, but jeez, it wants to
cheezels is offline Find More Posts by cheezels
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It IS a spectrum though, Tom. Some people do go overboard, and going too far can sometimes cause a problem too. In addition to raining on everyone's parade, an overzealous safety officer can become focused on things that don't matter a whole lot, while ignoring the big picture. Some people really do need to lighten up - and reducing stress, so that you are in a clear frame of mind, is probably the most important safety factor anyway. I've known people who were so nervous about safety issues that they couldn't think straight, and thinking straight is safety issue number one. This discussion will never get old, and I think it's helpful to have it every now and then.
Well said. I think many clubs, safety officers, and the AMA are stuck in a by-gone technological era. The safety rules they are talking about, and the injuries they are talking about come from large models with glow and gasoline engines.

The planes I fly are made out of EPP foam, and the engine's on the back, and weigh under two pounds. The prop is held on with an O ring. Yes, you could have a really, really freak accident and hurt somebody, but there is no way that thing could kill somebody unless it startled them and they hit their head on a rock. My friend is learning to fly with a similar foam trainer. Its motor is on the front, but still it would take a very rare combination of events to injure somebody with that plane.

I actually think the OP (troll or not) message to lighten up is spot on. The technologies of electric and foam have the potential to make flying a hundred times safer and therefore more fun. No more cut fingers from adjusting needle valves. No more special benches and plane holders to protect you when you start the engine. The 2.4GH transmitter technology eliminates a large cause of crashes, frequency conflicts. No more accidently starting the engine at full throttle.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Oh I don't think it's an issue of being out of date, I think it's an issue of nit picking in order to give yourself something to do around a bunch of people who are incredibly safe. Things like the fifteen minute rule don't need to be enforced as much as the rules everybody tends to follow, but the enforcers get bored so they start to get on your case about little stuff like that and they don't notice the drinking party happening behind the shed.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:16 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,409 Posts
Quote:
The technologies of electric and foam have the potential to make flying a hundred times safer and therefore more fun. No more cut fingers from adjusting needle valves. No more special benches and plane holders to protect you when you start the engine. The 2.4GH transmitter technology eliminates a large cause of crashes, frequency conflicts. No more accidently starting the engine at full throttle.
It's a double-edged sword, though. The newer technology (not all necessarily safer) combined with the huge decrease in prices across the board over the past few years has resulted in this hobby being much more accessible. Not all that long ago, you had to have sort of a dedicated interest in models and aviation if you wanted to progress past Wal-Mart toys. Accordingly, you'd be at least somewhat thoughtful about where, how, and when you flew. Now, though, any ole dimwit can see one at the park, punch "remote control airplane" into Google, and come up with NitroPlanes as the FIRST RESULT. A ready-to-fly jet is just a credit card away. Effort? Time? Expense? ...

Looking at some of the questions being asked by more recent newcomers to this site, it's obvious that for many of them these planes are being reduced to nothing more than the "cool stuff you can't get at the toy store", and an appropriate level of caution is attached: none. It's not that people are being malicious or intentionally rebellious; they just don't see anything wrong with it. This is why it's up to us, the people who know better, to educated them on things like safety.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:32 PM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,065 Posts
Do I sense that the thread title has been ignored by quite a few for quite a while
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:51 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly View Post
Do I sense that the thread title has been ignored by quite a few for quite a while
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude