SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Oct 2009
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
In the future with a new gas engine, start it, set the needles, THEN fly it. Heat cycling isn't recommended for gas engines (DLE). Start them, tune the needles, and fly it easy for the first gal or so.

Same for a "break in" prop. Prop it for break-in with the prop your going to fly it with. Just take it easy at first. Flying it helps keep it cool. You would think that big old prop sitting in front would keep it plenty cool on the bench, but it runs cooler in the air.

Both recommendations are straight from Jody at Valley View Hobby's. No one, I mean NO ONE knows more about DLE engines than Jody.

Scott
Hi Scott

Great, thanks for your advice. Just worried that it will die on me and then I will have a deadstick warbird to contend with!! Will set the needles up for a somewhat reliable tickover and go fly.

Cheers!
wesjon is offline Find More Posts by wesjon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:07 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesjon View Post
Hi Scott

Great, thanks for your advice. Just worried that it will die on me and then I will have a deadstick warbird to contend with!! Will set the needles up for a somewhat reliable tickover and go fly.

Cheers!
A RICH engine seldom quits.....
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Oct 2009
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
A RICH engine seldom quits.....
Very true! You guys have all been a great help, good to be able to get so much help from all over the world on these forums.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Oct 2009
31 Posts
Started today no issues. Set low speed needle to about 1900 rpm and high end at about 8000 rpm with a 17 x 6 prop. Checked plug after about 5 minutes and it was a nice tan colour! Looking good.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,331 Posts
You're on your way!
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
[QUOTE=wesjon;21926254]Hi all

"This is the first run since carb nipple and hall sensor replaced and with Jtec slimline muffler."

The nipple on my DLE20 carb also broke. I have pulled it out with pliers as suggested.

What did you replace your broken nipple with? All the spare nipples that I have, seem to be very thin for the hole in the carb where the original nipple was fixed. The exact part number and manufacturers name would be great.

Will appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance
avmandelia is offline Find More Posts by avmandelia
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:40 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Started today no issues. Set low speed needle to about 1900 rpm and high end at about 8000 rpm with a 17 x 6 prop. Checked plug after about 5 minutes and it was a nice tan colour! Looking good.
Hey, I know it's been a while - got any updates?
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,331 Posts
[QUOTE=avmandelia;24360408]
Quote:
Hi all

"This is the first run since carb nipple and hall sensor replaced and with Jtec slimline muffler."

The nipple on my DLE20 carb also broke. I have pulled it out with pliers as suggested.

What did you replace your broken nipple with? All the spare nipples that I have, seem to be very thin for the hole in the carb where the original nipple was fixed. The exact part number and manufacturers name would be great.

Will appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance
Forget what size the brass tube is (K&S), but there's one that's a good snug fit. Make sure you seal it with something fuel proof to prevent air leaks.