SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:38 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
237 Posts
Help!
1/16th scale SRN6

Has anyone out there build the SRN6 Hovercraft from the Julian Annells plans MAR 2437? I am planning to have a go and, if there is a build log anywhere that would be a great help. I have some photos of Mark Porter's build
http://www.model-hovercraft.com/srn6/srn6structure.html
plus the full size plans (1/16th scale). The first stage is to identify the individual parts to be fabricated which, for someone unused to building from plans, is no easy matter!. Any help, advice. encouragement etc would be gratefully received.

Jeremy
JeremyBB is offline Find More Posts by JeremyBB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
205 Posts
Have you tried contacting Mark - I'm sure he could give you some pointers. But in essence you will need a fair amount of sheet birch ply of various thicknesses (1/64, 1/32, 1/16) and balsa, and you'll need to do a lot of accurate cutting, so a scrollsaw is very useful. For electrics, I'd recommend going brushless to give you a bit more power and better run times, so you will have to adapt the plans accordingly. The skirt is a bit tricky - and getting the right material is important. Ripstop is probably too thin for this scale of model, so look for something a bit heavier (e.g. pu coated polyester). And take you time - this kind of model can't be rushed. There are several members of the Model Hovercraft Association (including Mark) who have built these and would be able to give pointers, and we've got a meeting coming up at Fareham Model Raceway in March which you'd be very welcome to come along to to chat to a few folk - see http://www.modelhover.org/node/1040 for more details.
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
237 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have emailed Mark and will appreciate any help he can give. Unfortunately, I will be away in late March so I can't attend your meeting. However, I will join the MHA and would hope to be able to contact some of those who have made this model. It would be very helpful if I could find some additional in-build photos as it's quite hard to identify the individual parts from the plan. I don't have a scroll saw but I do have a miniature jig saw so that will have to do. If I cut parts a bit oversized, I can always sand them down. I am happy to take my time - I see this as a few months work. I will be going brushless.

Jeremy
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:38 AM
MHA webmaster
Joined Mar 2011
205 Posts
That's great to hear (joining the MHA) and I look forward to meeting you soon. Note, this year we have dropped our subscription price from April in an effort to help members in these hard financial times, so it's a good time to join! I'll have a look on our members gallery and see if there are any photos that might help. You'll be able to access the gallery once you become a member.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:53 AM
MHA webmaster
Joined Mar 2011
205 Posts
One of our members is building a copy of the Canadian Coast Guard SRN 6 which is similar in most cases, although I think his is 1/10 scale so somewhat bigger - and has posted some build pictures which may be useful.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:38 PM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
I've just found this thread. Am in the process of building an SNR6. Downloaded Mark's plan for the MK5 and stretched it to eight windows. It's probably 1/12th scale as I think Mark's MK5 is. Just experimenting with lift fans at the moment. Hope the thing works
ChrisCurry is offline Find More Posts by ChrisCurry
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:51 AM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
Fan Works!

The fan generates a fair amount of air and is not drawing a lot of power. We're on. Starting with the basic floor and adding some side supports.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:19 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
237 Posts
Mark's plan of the SR.N5 is to 1/16th scale although he has since built several SR.N6's to 1/12th scale. I suppose it doesn't really matter as you can stretch the plan to whatever you want.

I have started my build of the 1/16th SR.N6 and will post a build log on this site. I would like to be able to follow your build so I hope you will post updates on my log or on one of your own.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:36 PM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
I'll follow your build. I have a few more pictures but a bit late here. Will post them tomorrow.