HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:21 AM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Contest
Funbuild 5: Dornier Do 18 Flying boat

Dornier Do 18 flying boat

After some initial hesitation I have decided to join the Funbuild 5 - Multi engines - contest. I'll be building a Do 18 roughly based on the 1965 Flying models plan by A.B. Swanston. The original plan is for two .15 -.19 engines and has a wingspan of 66". I'll be "microsizing" this one to around 65cm wingspan (25,5") and it'll be build up like a guillows style stick and tissue model.

I intend to power this bird with two 5gr outrunners from Hobby King driving two air-ace counter rotating three blade propellors. Depending on the outcome I might change things to another prop & motor combination.

So far I have printed and stuck together the plans and made initial estimations of what gear might fit. All additional information on the Do18 is welcome and progress will be reported in this thread.

Attached:
- two pictures of the D018
- original plans by A.B. Swanston (1965) in three parts

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:03 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Hi Robert, that looks like a fine choice for the funbuild. I will be watching with interest.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:29 AM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
Robert love your choice. Have you any plans to do the Do 24 as well?

Will follow

Pete
Glong-flyer is offline Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Len, Hi Pete,

Welcome to my little thread. I hope to perform to your expectations on this build. I'll sure try to make it an interesting build. Feel free to jump in with tips and remarks when you feel like it. I think the building process will quite easy. I just hope I'll be able to keep her light and balanced to actually get her up in the air and fly her... If that works out then there will be the flying off water.....

For now I'll start with the building. So far I've been cutting up my plan to get the templates for the formers and the other parts. I drew up a little plan for the left wing and alread deviated from the original. I have no need for a removeable wing at this size so the constuction will be straight forward. 6x6mm square balsa for the leading edge and 2x5mm stip balsa for the trailing edge. Flaps and ailerons are made with 2x15mm stip balsa. Also the wingtip curve will be made out of 2mm balsa. All formers will also be 2mm balsa and I might use some 0.4 mm plywood sheeting for high impact area's like the underside of the floats and the bottom of the fuselage.

Biggest challenge at this time is to redesign the engine pod in a light but strong and scale way. Also at this scale it will be a challenge to get a small BL motor in there running free from rubbing the inside of the pod... Cooling????? I need to think about how to do that with this design. There is an oil cooler in the center pylon... Maybe I can use that as an intake for ait but where does it come out...

I'll think of something.

Thanks for dialing in!

The Do 24 is one of my all time favourites. We have one in a small museum at about 40 minutes driving distance. I've been wanting to make one for quite a long time but I got side tracked. I have some 3-views somewhere so maybe I'll give that another try when this build goes well.

Robert
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
I have made a little progress on the do 18. So far I have made the tailfin, the rudder, the horizontal stabilizer and elevator planes. For the main wing I started with the general outline and the aileron and flaps. Now I need to start cutting ribs in order to make progress.

Robert
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Hi Robert ,

Great choice & welcome aboard the Funbuild 5

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Thank you John!

It is a great plane but I'm already thinking it is a bit small at this size. Very convenient because I don't have a lot of space but it might deliver some issues when installing the RC gear. Well, we'll see what happens.

Robert
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:29 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,383 Posts
Another interesting choice for the build off! I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together. You don't see one of these every day.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:53 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,662 Posts
Hey Robert,

Looking forward to this one.

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Wings are getting their form. I've cut out all the ribs for the wings and they are partially installed already. I have found several non-scale aspects in this plan. One of them is the alternating thickness in the original plane where this plan has a wing which in thickness goes from thick to thin from wingbase to wingtip. Need to do some sanding when all ribs are installed it seems.

Robert
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,716 Posts
Cool project! The thinner wing at the root will complicate things but it'll be more scale. I can see why the original plans would simplify this.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
Nice work Robert keep it going.

Where did you get the 3-view for the Do24 at I looked and looked and have not found any good ones at all.

Pete
Glong-flyer is offline Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glong-flyer View Post
Nice work Robert keep it going.

Where did you get the 3-view for the Do24 at I looked and looked and have not found any good ones at all.

Pete
Hi Pete,

Mine is just a big blowup of one of those 3-views you can find on the web. I don't even know where I have it now (somewhere in the computer or on one of those external drives) or where I got it. It's not that good but I think it might be a good basis to start from. Having an actual Do24 around is a luxury which can be very usefull to fill in the details. If you start on a Do24 let me know and I'll go to the museum and take pictures of the things you want me to.

Len did build a Do24 in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781075

For now I'll focus on this little plane.

Robert
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:09 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Thanks warhead_71 very usefull material.

Robert