USBtiny 8 13.56%
other 2 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:16 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Did I fry the board?

Trying to flash a KK 2.1.5 for a friend. Something went wrong during the flash although it said writing, no progress ever happened. I disconnected and restarted everything. Now I get the initialization error when I try to flash. Connection is on correctly. LED backlight powers up but nothing displays on the screen. Any suggestions? Did I hose the board?
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:58 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
Yes, you can use the USB Linker.

I will have a look at it.

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:45 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
I have purchased this tool from eBay and I'm trying to flash a new KK2.1 using LazyZero's tool (latest 0.8 beta) on my mac (OS10.8), but I keep getting various errors trying to recognize the USB device as I change the tool in the dropdown. I've tried most of the tools that sound like a match in the dropdown but to no avail.

Unfortunately I'm not in front of my mac now and can't get exact errors, but I will do so if no other pointers come up. Should this tool be compatible?? I have the 6 pin adapter attached and all. Just wonder if anyone has seen/used this device before.

hexyMoth is online now Find More Posts by hexyMoth
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:59 PM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
Should be USBasp or USBasp clone. What is the detailed message?

Christian
Old Sep 13, 2014, 03:18 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
Should be USBasp or USBasp clone. What is the detailed message?

Christian
So with the default Fischl USBasp this is the error:

Flash the firmware from repository.
Flashing firmware from file.: /Users/XXX/Library/Preferences/kkMulticopterFlashTool/KK2V1_1V18S1Pro.hex

/Applications/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude -C /Applications/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude.conf -p m644p -P usb -c usbasp -e -U flash:w:/Users/XXX/Library/Preferences/kkMulticopterFlashTool/KK2V1_1V18S1Pro.hex:i
avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'

avrdude done. Thank you.

Error during writing flash.

And with the Clone with correct VID/PID I get:

Flashing firmware from file.: /Users/XXX/Library/Preferences/kkMulticopterFlashTool/KK2V1_1V18S1Pro.hex

/Applications/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude -C /Applications/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude.conf -p m644p -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U flash:w:/Users/XXX/Library/Preferences/kkMulticopterFlashTool/KK2V1_1V18S1Pro.hex:i
avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

avrdude done. Thank you.

And with the Clone with incorrect VID/PID I get:

/Applications/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude -C /Applications/kkMulticopter Flash Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/avrdude/mac/avrdude.conf -p m644p -P usb -c new-usbasp-clone -e -U flash:w:/Users/XXX/Library/Preferences/kkMulticopterFlashTool/KK2V1_1V18S1Pro.hex:i

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 0
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Your help is much appreciated, thanks!
Last edited by hexyMoth; Sep 13, 2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:39 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
So the last one is your programmer, but you seam to have wiring problems. OR the target board is not powered.

Check the connections if they go where they should and that they are not broken.

Christian
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:47 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
So the last one is your programmer, but you seam to have wiring problems. OR the target board is not powered.

Check the connections if they go where they should and that they are not broken.

Christian
Yeah, it's pretty crazy, I've been all over google trying to figure this out but to no avail. The KK2.1 board powers up when attached, and all the pin soldering looks good. I guess I just got a bad programmer somehow. One last thing I will do is check each lead from the 10 pin through to the six pin with my multitester to make sure the cable is not shorted somewhere.

Here is a look at the pinning on my USB and 10-6 converter and also the powered up board. I'm stumped, but leaning toward something bad in the firmware on the USB device. Unfortunately I have no idea how to "Flash the Flasher"

Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:14 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
I've checked all my connections and it's all right and working on the programmer side. I have the sparkfun pocket avr. The KK board backlight comes on but nothing is displayed on the screen, even when I power it with a BEC only. Any tips on resuscitating this KK board?
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357