SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:58 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp45 View Post
well, i just got through fixing the broken tail on my bix 1.1. I used white gorilla glue and three skewers - two on the top (right and left of the rudder) and one along the entire bottom of the fuse. That should reinforce the tail at the break - at least it looks like it as the tail and fuse don't flex much anymore and the break job looks nice and strong. I'll flight test tomorrow.

the gorilla glue is quite messy so you have to be careful when using it and don't use too much as the expansion can seep into almost every crack. But it really does bind better on the epo than epoxy or many of the other glues.
+1 dj
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2014, 11:31 AM
Joined Aug 2010
111 Posts
TIPS & TRICKS #102: HOW TO ADD A HANDLE TO YOUR COCKPIT (0 min 51 sec)
Killerplanes is offline Find More Posts by Killerplanes
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2014, 11:36 AM
United States, NY, Cobleskill
Joined Jun 2014
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerplanes View Post
great idea ! +1
whiteram is offline Find More Posts by whiteram
Old Sep 02, 2014, 11:41 AM
United States, NY, Cobleskill
Joined Jun 2014
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Another tip when glueing is to score or prick both surfaces to be joined as this gives the glue something to key into. HK 20ml and 100ml glues sold in plain white tubes work really well with all foams. Very tacky and still remains a bit flexible
Andy
+1 Andy
whiteram is offline Find More Posts by whiteram
Old Sep 03, 2014, 03:17 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
79 Posts
I developed another problem with my Bix 1.1. Several months ago I crashed and lost the wing spar in the woods. I made a new spar out of CF tubing with a small metal bar glued inside. However, the other day as I was flying, I turned into the wind and the spar snapped in half right in the middle (at the fuse). Now I am having difficulty finding a suitable replacement spar. The wing tube hole is 5.86mm ID (not quite 1/4"). I can't find anything so far that fits and is strong enough to withstand the forces put on the wings (especially during turns). An arrow (bow and arrow) is 1/4" OD or more. A driveway marker post is also 1/4" OD. Neither will fit into the wing holes. I can't get the wing tube out to replace, it so I'm a stuck with finding something strong to fit that will make the wings hold up better.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations???? Thanks.
warp45 is offline Find More Posts by warp45
Old Sep 03, 2014, 09:08 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,036 Posts
Warp, do you think you could cut a small hole in the wing at the end of the spar and push it out from the end? You could poke a pin in the wing until you found the end of the spar.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Sep 04, 2014, 07:30 AM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
79 Posts
Bix spar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
Warp, do you think you could cut a small hole in the wing at the end of the spar and push it out from the end? You could poke a pin in the wing until you found the end of the spar.
I'm not sure what you mean. The tubes in the wing appear to be glued into the wings. The spar (the solid rod of CF) fits into those tubes when I assemble the plane for flight. I need to find a spar material that will go into the wing tubes and give added strength, but probably still be a bit flexible. My problem is in finding a rod of some kind with an OD that fits into the wing tubes (with the 5.8mm ID).
Old Sep 04, 2014, 09:10 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. The tubes in the wing appear to be glued into the wings. The spar (the solid rod of CF) fits into those tubes when I assemble the plane for flight. I need to find a spar material that will go into the wing tubes and give added strength, but probably still be a bit flexible. My problem is in finding a rod of some kind with an OD that fits into the wing tubes (with the 5.8mm ID).
What about using multiple 2mm graphite rods inside the tube. That is what I did on my version 2 SkySurfer. They are light and durable along with being flexible without necessarily breaking.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:37 PM
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
381 Posts
HK have a variety of CF tubes to do the job.
farrari is offline Find More Posts by farrari
Old Sep 05, 2014, 12:11 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
I developed another problem with my Bix 1.1. Several months ago I crashed and lost the wing spar in the woods. ... I made a new spar out of CF tubing with a small metal bar glued inside. ....Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations???? Thanks.
I haven't checked the actual diameter of the V1.1 spar but when V1 spars broke we replaced them with fibreglass tubing that I had. (3 Bixler V1s.) Very small inner hole in the glass tubing so quite strong enough. Forget about any extra weight, glass vs carbon. It is actually the hole down the tube that is the problem as it crushes where the wings join. That carbon tubing you used would probably be OK if you could fill a few inches in the middle of the spar to stop it crushing there. Or is that what you did? Or was it bar you used, not rod?
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Sep 05, 2014, 09:17 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
I got 2 flights out of my Skysurfer 2000

4000 3s battery, i was planning on installing 2 for extended FPV flights
NTM 1400 3542 motor
8 X 6 prop
50amp ESC
extra carbon in the wing and horizontal stabilzer

It was a beast, un limited vertical on just over 1/2 throttle. Full throttle vertical rocket. Level full throttle wing tips fluttering badly, so cut the tips off for the second flight.
Could fly around on 1/4 throttle pulling 3 amps. I was fine tuning the trimming on full throttle when I pulled up a little to steep to bring it back around and the wing collapsed. might replace it with Bixler 3 with 10in Prop and 1200KV motor for FPV.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Last edited by hendrnk; Sep 05, 2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2014, 01:25 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
I haven't checked the actual diameter of the V1.1 spar but when V1 spars broke we replaced them with fibreglass tubing that I had. (3 Bixler V1s.) Very small inner hole in the glass tubing so quite strong enough. Forget about any extra weight, glass vs carbon. It is actually the hole down the tube that is the problem as it crushes where the wings join. That carbon tubing you used would probably be OK if you could fill a few inches in the middle of the spar to stop it crushing there. Or is that what you did? Or was it bar you used, not rod?
It was a CF tube with a CF rod gorilla glued into it, the entire length. I even put a small aluminum tube over the CF tube right in the center to add strength (so I thought) and to keep it centered (keep from moving in the wings). It still broke the CF and the aluminum at the wing joint. The fiberglass rod that I found is 1/4 " diameter and slightly too big to go into the wing hole. I may have to ream the wing hole out so the fiberglass rod will fit - unless I can locate a smaller diameter FG rod.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 09:57 AM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,921 Posts
AJ?
Just checking in and haven't seen you around here in while. I'm still flying the HF Wildhawks too.
Hope your doing OK.

Capt.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Sep 17, 2014, 02:34 AM
Orlando
Joined Jun 2003
337 Posts
Skysurfer wings unequal weight?

My right wing is 22 grams heavier than my left wing. This is a brand new skysurfer 1.4m version 1 plane. Should I be concerned that the plane is not balanced along its axis?

Anyone else noticed this?
GWSLAWNDART is online now Find More Posts by GWSLAWNDART
Old Sep 17, 2014, 03:07 AM
Joined May 2014
45 Posts
I dont think 22grams will make any different to the balance of the plane. Too many factors to take into account such as winds, the centering of the aileron servo, and even the airfoil of both wings I dont believe they are 100% identical.
be2kz is offline Find More Posts by be2kz