SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:44 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,257 Posts
PS - 4Stripes you have me thinking/pondering about the wings on this F-100 with your spar mod. Has anyone out there heard of a weak spot on the F-100 wings or know of a wing fold incident? I can see just looking at the wings that the sides of the center section / wing panel mate area seems like it may be a very high stress area. Where the fuselage and wing center section ply formers stop and where the wing spars start. I have not heard of any issues like there are with the Mig-15 but then again I have not looked hard.

Anything?
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:25 AM
Norway, Akershus, As
Joined Apr 2007
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Nice clear pictures Lars!
What motor/fan/battery are you using?
Cheers Eric
Thanks! It was a great model in the air. I am using Rclander 90mm alu fan with Turnigy NanoTech 6S5000mah.
Lars N is offline Find More Posts by Lars N
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:30 AM
Norway, Akershus, As
Joined Apr 2007
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Hey! That's exactly the same plane (ID etc) as mine!!! Thief!

The main gear legs seem longer though(?). My oleo's (is that what they are?) are mounted hard up against the retract trunion. No leg 'pin' (eg 4mm rod) exposed.
Same for the front leg - none of the 'pin' openly visible.
I can't measure from pics, but yours looks higher off the ground due to that. A bit like it is on stilts! LOL
I forget why I made new leg 'pins', but I think they gave 3mm ones (?) and I used 4mm ones.

What a nice big runway!!! I am jealous....
What a coincidence that we both have the same decals .... hehe

Yes it is bit on the high really. My plan is to fly it and use it before I start a renovation and tryingt to make it more scale. But can not bear to spend time on it before I know it works properly.

The runway is perfect , 60 meters wide and 2,200 feet long .... It just cant be better
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:23 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,920 Posts
Gee, you could fly the real one there too!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:33 AM
Norway, Akershus, As
Joined Apr 2007
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars N View Post
What a coincidence that we both have the same decals .... hehe

Yes it is bit on the high really. My plan is to fly it and use it before I start a renovation and tryingt to make it more scale. But can not bear to spend time on it before I know it works properly.

The runway is perfect , 60 meters wide and 2,200 feet long .... It just cant be better
60 meters wide and 2200 meters long, not feet :P
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Just back from magic flying session at the beach with my faithful 12S powered "SS". In the morn will load short video footage which came perfect after lot of winging from my movie director that the camera was out of focus, he is 70! Watch the gorgeous chicks running by, oh my god! Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:41 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,920 Posts
It looks a bit like Thunderbird 4 !!
err.... not the aerobatic team.... the REAL Thunderbirds!
(You know... Gordon Tracy... and it might have been called Wunderbirds in Germany)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:24 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
The velcro ordinance mount works well for me having used it on several models so far (but then again my models are limited to less than 100mph).

Regarding wing failures on the F100, I haven't heard of any. It was easy to add the arrow shaft spars and they weigh very little. Just cheap insurance. The last time I flew my Mig 15, I lost orientation and had to yank full elevator to save it near the ground at full speed. The wings were tested and thankfully they hung together! I haven't seen wings bend so far and not snap.

Hey Jofro
how do you keep your concentration when flying near so many distractions?
Cheers Eric
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:21 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Hi Luke
could you measure the failed bearings? They are likely metric.
Cheers Eric
Sorry Eric, but I'm not taking the motor apart, tossed it in the bin.

I like your set up for the speed brake, simple and effective. Thanks for the pictures.

I'm thinking of making my tanks drop-able, I have an extra set that I can scratch up. I'll still leave my static attachment points for the show tanks, but I have an idea to add a release mechanism so I can have both. The tanks are shaped so that they quickly pull away from the aircraft, maybe we will see how they work?
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:46 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
Thanks anyways Luke
Dropping tanks sounds like fun!
Cheers Eric
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:11 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
572 Posts
Got tired of looking at the stock tail cone, and seeing how others had some nice looking ones, decided to make my own. It's not exact scale, just better than the stock unit, at least I think. I just turned a chunk of balsa on my wood lathe and added some strips, then pulled it out of .040 polystyrene.
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hold my Beer and watch this!
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
Servo recomendation

Hi All,

I have almost gathered everything I need to assemble my Hun. I need servo's and a battery. Anyone want to share a servo recommendation with me? I have some hxt900's laying around but also have some Corona's that I was gong to use in a PA AMR ultimate.

Thanks
-Jeff
silent_guru is offline Find More Posts by silent_guru
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
I looked at the glider and it looks like it has basic EPO foam flying surfaces and a basic plastic fuselage - Calling it a composite airframe is not technically correct, and it's a marketing "scheme" really.
I agree, Many manufacturers will call their product "Composite"
What they do not mention is whether it is Polyester or
the more expensive and lighter Epoxy composite.
In other words, If you think you are getting Epoxy composite,
You may be getting the cheaper, heavier Polyester.
wingspan100 is offline Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:02 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Got tired of looking at the stock tail cone, and seeing how others had some nice looking ones, decided to make my own. It's not exact scale, just better than the stock unit, at least I think. I just turned a chunk of balsa on my wood lathe and added some strips, then pulled it out of .040 polystyrene.
Awesome work!! The "Wunder Hun" Work continues!! Your Hun looks way better - flat out sweet in fact - with your new scale tail pipe. Like you, my own custom tailpipe is made from plastic but my plastic was a little light - so in order to stiffen it up a little I added some wet layup glass layers inside. Are you running a thrust tube? I'm restricting my exhaust to about 85 percent FSA and that also allowed the exit to look a little more scale too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_guru View Post
Hi All,

I have almost gathered everything I need to assemble my Hun. I need servo's and a battery. Anyone want to share a servo recommendation with me? I have some hxt900's laying around but also have some Corona's that I was gong to use in a PA AMR ultimate.

Thanks
-Jeff
I've never used HXT's on anything this big. Are you over powering your -100 like the rest of us? I went ahead and used HS-82MG all around. For me they always work, they are decent enough in centering and fine control for higher performance and torque at 47 oz at 6v is good enough for mid speed models of this size (I doubt this one would ever really go super fast even if over powered). As long as the stabilizer is set up right - that's probably the biggest thing to watch for on this model, it could overwhelm a smaller servo so I aerodynamically balanced mine with some weight in the forward root area. I would not go too small, why add a weak link so if you can get beefier HXT's that's my only real recommendation. 4 servos at @ $20 each is what I'm in for on this model plus a small high power extra rudder servo, I know less can be paid but the trust factor for me is there. I'm sure some guys might have different opinions, I'd actually like to hear some as I haven't used too many HK servos on larger models except big ARF's where they have failed on me at times.

@@Wingspan, in this case, it's not even really composite at all since it's just plain plastic for the fuselage No cloth/fiber of any sort in there - I assume it's heavy but for a powered glider not being sold to soaring/performance enthusiasts they can get away with a little bit of that. And it's pretty cheap. I hear the FPV crowd likes this one - simple, decent enough and it can carry some equipment.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; Mar 27, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,920 Posts
A much better looking tailcone there Luke!! That makes a big difference to it visually.
What method did you use to add the engine area discolouration on the fuselage? The steps to achieve it. That is a big visual benefit for realism too, so I will have to do that at least.
RCG Plus Member