SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2014, 11:01 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,147 Posts
Discussion
Kasama Dune 600

I've wanted a Dune in my stable since i first saw their fantastic engineering. They seem to fly in the face of the drive for low parts count but when when every part is a work of art, the more the better I say!

Anyway the price had put me off but I managed to pick a second hand but brand new unused airframe and Kontronik Pyro motor up for a decent price. I'm really looking forward to putting this one together, it's something really different when many helis these days just seem to follow the same basic design.

Some pics:
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2014, 02:00 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,937 Posts
Congrats on acquiring one of these rare birds. I've yet to build mine but hopefully it will be soon. The individual aluminum parts definitely look really cool. You could tell they were designed by an out of the box fellow. Mine is getting a Scorpion motor and Promodeler servos...no fancy ESC...just a basic ZTW Mantis.
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old Oct 08, 2014, 02:45 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,147 Posts
Mine will probably get a Castle ESC. The space for the ESC is tight, it seems to have been designed around the Kontronik Jive 80+ which is very compact (also very expensive!).

I've got a Castle ICE2 80HV and an Edge 120HV, the ICE2 should fit but not so sure about the Edge. Alternatively I could mount the ESC on the side of the frame and put the 2s Rx pack where the ESC is intended to go. Fitting everything in will need some thought because it's a minimalist frame.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:54 AM
Happiness is a warm heli
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jan 2013
1,012 Posts
Definitely an interesting servos arrangement!
- very rare to see the left/right cyclics mounted so high & at the back.

- but I like the direct & symmetrical approach of helis like the Goblins...
FlyingPhilUK is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPhilUK
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2014, 03:32 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,937 Posts
A couple of pictures of the Dune's unique mechanics layout and frame design. Kasama also has a new 700 class FAIFA replacement coming out early next year.

Even the triangulated landing gear is unique and how it attaches to the narrow frame.

TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Oct 11, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:06 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,147 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why Kasama went with the unusual link design but what it does do is free up placement of the servos allowing a more compact frame. Links also mean there is no need for the pin and slot anti-rotation mechanism, which personally i find a bit crude. End of the day I think any of these designs can work equally well in practice.

After checking out the space for the ESC I decided to go with a hobbyking YEP 80A HV, these are very compact and have active freewheel and an excellent governor. Build is on hold because I'm away on holiday but I'll get it together when I return in a week.
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Oct 14, 2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:49 PM
tail is your enemy!!
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,051 Posts
well, i can tell motor will be easy to put in./out. mine's a headache loosen bearing blocks, get pinion off, because it's not coming out with that long pointy thingy sticking up. how is that frame going to survive a crash it looks like it's an easy crack where the motor sits

one more thing...umm, i don't get this. align has these too and so does blade. these super complex pushers from servo to the swash. isn't it much simpler to just do a direct servo to swash?? oh and the frame really is narrow. heh, even my rjx looks fat compared to....this
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:32 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,147 Posts
I'm not sure about the durability of the frame, only time will tell i guess, i'm not planning on crashing anyway.
Not sure about 'super complex', sure it has a few more parts compared to a direct swash sett-up but so what? I'm personally not convinced that low part count is automatically better. Personally i like the way Kasama have approached the design, a bit of fresh thinking makes a nice change now and then.

It will be interesting to see how it flies, at my level I dont suppose I'll be able to notice much difference.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:52 PM
tail is your enemy!!
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
.....but so what? I'm personally not convinced that low part count is automatically better. Personally i like the way Kasama have approached the design, a bit of fresh thinking makes a nice change now and then.
no, noo.....you got it all wrong i mean what is the idea behind it.

i'm not convinced that low part count is automatically better either. just seemed to me that it's, umm. "purposeless" ? oh and yeh, when i was building mine, i didn't plan on crashing either, just happens naturally in human behavior to smash stuff unintentionally
Old Nov 01, 2014, 11:01 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,147 Posts
I got lucky yesterday, power cut at work so they sent everyone home which gave me time to put the Dune together.

Final Build Spec:
  • Kasama Dune 600
  • Kontronik Pyro 700-52
  • Hobbyking YEP 80HV
  • Kbar (full size)
  • RJX HV servos
  • 2 x Lemon DSMX remote receivers
  • 600mm RJX main blades
  • 95mm CY tail blades
  • 12s, 2700 - 3000mAh Lipos
  • 2s 1800mAh Rx pack (unregulated)

I had to put a long shift in to get it all built and set up but by midnight it was done (and so was I).

One of the things i like on the Dune is it uses sub-assemblies that much of the hardware is mounted on to form separate modules attaching the the minimalist main frame. This is the module for the aileron and pitch servos, the engineering is equisite:

The frame is basically a spine structure, it's very narrow so much of the electronics has to be externally mounted. This makes it hard to avoid a bit of clutter but the canopy covers it all I did my best to keep it reasonably tidy.

Left side:

Right side:

The whole thing less canopy:

Ready to fly:

Regarding the linkages on the swash. While there are a lot more parts the design does allow for a perfect setup. On many direct to swash designs servo travel is limited due to linkages hitting the frame or the servo case. The Dune design totally avoids that allowing optimal travel values to be used rather than having to limit servo travel to avoid binding, like I've had to do on most of my direct to swash designs. So maybe Mr Kasama has method in his madness?

I got out and had four test flights today, it flew pretty much perfect right off the board. The blades are slightly out of balance (ran out of time last night) so i need to sort that, but otherwise it was fine right from the off using settings in the Kbar for the Logo 600. Flights were a bit boring so no video, i'll shoot a vid tomorrow weather permitting. It's remarkably quite in flight but has massive punch, I think it's going to me a firm favorite.
Old Nov 02, 2014, 04:22 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,147 Posts
So i thought that it might be interesting to put the Dune on the scales vs. my Trex 600 Pro DFC. hardware spec of both helis (motor, servos etc) is similar so any difference must be mainly in the airframe.

Ready to fly except for main flight battery weights were:

Dune - 3000g
Trex - 3240g

That's a pretty big difference in favour of the Dune. I wasn't expecting anything like that much though holding both models it is obvious that the Trex is significantly heavier. It's kinda hard to see where it all comes from but i guess little bits here and there all add up.
Old Nov 02, 2014, 04:43 AM
Joined Oct 2014
57 Posts
That's a beautiful helicopter. Love the attention to detail.

I am new to all this but if I progress to the point of being able to justify a spending some serious on a bird this is high on my list.
dannybgoode is offline Find More Posts by dannybgoode
Old Nov 02, 2014, 12:19 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,147 Posts
Yeah, It's growing on me all the time. I got this one second hand, it was just the basic airframe, built but unflown. I'm almost wanting to strip it all down and re-built it just so i can fully appreciate the engineering.

Four more flights today but very much taking it easy due to the newness of the heli plus the field being used for a cross country race championship, so lots of people running and wandering around.

Boring video:
Kasama Dune 600 - Just getting the hang of her (6 min 38 sec)
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Nov 04, 2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2014, 04:19 PM
tail is your enemy!!
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,051 Posts
well, i can definitely say this is much more aerodynamic bird than mine is sounds little different too.
Quote:
Ready to fly except for main flight battery weights were:

Dune - 3000g
Trex - 3240g
huh, mine weighs 2700g without batteries
Old Nov 02, 2014, 06:24 PM
Happiness is a warm heli
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jan 2013
1,012 Posts
The battery installation is another interesting point of this design...
- I would think this is done to keep the mass close to the CoG, giving low polar moment of inertia
- a bit like the MR2 Mk2 I used to drive

Anyway, it should give it awesome 3D performance...
FlyingPhilUK is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPhilUK
RCG Plus Member