HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:13 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Now that is a funny picture!

It looks like a SLOW STICK TRANSFORMER!!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Now that is a funny picture!

It looks like a SLOW STICK TRANSFORMER!!
Frankenplane.

We are going to fix the rubber band pegs, We have some good
rubber bands, but they are longer and it will need at least six or
eight.

Edit:

We did the same thing Carlos did, but added a piece of dowel,
rounded off to protect hands and the rubber bands.

Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Last edited by Kimber; Jan 10, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:15 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,481 Posts
Here's a couple photos of my GWS Pico Tiger Moth I should finish, and hopefully maiden, by this coming weekend. It needs the wings fitted (fuse bottom sanded to shape), I'm going to add bracing wires made with dental floss, and it needs to have the pushrods braced. They flex like crazy, I have half the rudder travel in the push direction as the pull direction. I rigged up a steerable tail wheel with a dubro micro-steerable wheel. And Snoopy's my pilot, I made him out of some styrofoam from a microwave I bought a couple years ago and saved the foam from. When I joined the tailwheel wire to the rudder with heat shrink tube, I realized that it was a stupid idea and my heat-shield wasn't large enough when I shrank the tube so I messed up the foam a little in that area, I'll fix it with some sandpaper, ultra-lightweight spackle, and paint.

Edit: some specs!
1700kv Blue Wonder from Heads Up RC
GWS 8x4 prop
12A HURC ESC
1000mAh 2s Lipo
2x8.6g Detrum servos

Ben
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:42 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Looks good - good luck on the maiden

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:05 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Looks good - good luck on the maiden

Wolfe
There you are... we missed you
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:26 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Thanks Bartricky.

I managed to let my radio get rained on a few months ago and I just took a while to get back to flying. Picked up a DX8 and am slowly setting my planes up again. . Still have a Stearman, Moth 400 and Pico Moth that should be flyable. My Formosa might be flyable with a bit of repair.

Good to see you are still active.

Wolfe
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:33 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Frankenplane.

We are going to fix the rubber band pegs, We have some good
rubber bands, but they are longer and it will need at least six or
eight.

Edit:

We did the same thing Carlos did, but added a piece of dowel,
rounded off to protect hands and the rubber bands.
You improved my suggestion! I got to go back and do the dowel thingy.

THANK YOU!!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:45 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
You improved my suggestion! I got to go back and do the dowel thingy.

THANK YOU!!
No, thank you my friend!

You are a light house in the sea of humanity, showing the
way people should be. Thank you.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:50 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Oh my god ladies and gentlemen. He is back! The OP!

wolfe!

How are you!

We missed you!

I was worried about you man. Great to see you back. I was wondering what was happening.

What a coincidence, just two days back I mentioned your name in vein in the 48" Edge Thread. Ha!

Welcome Back and Happy flying!

arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:59 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Just spent about an hour getting caught up on this thread. I am really glad to see that so many people have contributed to it.

I see a lot of familiar faces and some new ones. Seems like interest in the Formosas and the Warbirds has picked up.

Arnav - As I understand it, the "Snap Roll" is really a stall. I would guess that your Mosa 2 was not all that light to begin with and got heavier with repairs. As the weight creeps up, it very well might snap on a manuevre that it was able to perform before. If you are giving it a lot of sudden up elevator and doing very tight loops and turns, you will kill the airspeed quickly and drop below stall speed. Then she will snap over and dive and you won't be able to catch her until the airspeed picks back up.

If you are trying "harrier" landings you are probably coming in with lots of up elevator and running very close to stall speed - she would be very prone to a snap in that situation.

The Mosa is more of a pattern plane than a 3D plane. She is quick and agile, but not the best at really slow speeds and sudden decompression.

I think what the Mosa is best at is inverted flight and precision patterns. She is a great trainer for more advanced 3D planes since she has pretty large control surfaces and reacts quickly to control inputs.

Use her to learn flat turns, inverted eights. slow rolls ,knife edges and multiple consecutive rolls. But she is probably not going to be all that good at hard core 3D, and she will snap if you let the airspeed drop too much with too much sudden up elevator.

Hope that helps

Wolfe

Thanks for the "Welcome Back", Arnav
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jan 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:18 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Not to worry, those snaps are old history. It wasn't in relation to 3D, it was in straight upright fast flight... I suspect it was the elevator acting up. Since then I had another Mosa 2 which died a few weeks back when I buddy boxed on it with my son and you can imagine how that ended up hehe. It was neglected for a long time so I figured what the heck. I don't have a working Mosa right now, but ordered an e-starter for my Son....

btw, when I did take her out every once and a while, the Mosa II was surprisingly 3D capable (especially considering the crap servos I had on her). Excellent hovers, KE, violent tumbles, nice Elevator landings, etc'. Hmm... maybe I need to build another...

yes, it makes for a very pleasant precision flier. Does great in the wind too. She managed to survive a day of flying at 27mph...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:28 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Thanks Bartricky.

Good to see you are still active.

Wolfe
I have been dabbling a little on the "dark side" (quad copters) but always check in on parkflyers.

It can get VERY interesting trying switch back and forth, came close but I haven't lost a plane yet..
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:27 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I've tried the "Darkside" a couple of times, but I just can't seem to come to terms with any heli other than the little beginner ones.

Just got back from flying - mostly still setting up planes. Flew an FW 190 and one of my 4 channel trainers ok, then crashed a 3 channel trainer ( would have been smart to check that the servos were still glued in tight LOL).

Was going to put the Moth 400 up but the wind was pretty strong, so decided to wait for a better day.

Nice to be back at it

Wolfe
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:11 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,012 Posts
I flew (and crashed) my Zero turned Rufe, today. I'm going to extend a carbon spar out to the wing floats, to strengthen the wing.

RC Nakajima Rufe (0 min 0 sec)
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hand toss Avro Vulcan
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:48 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Sorry for the crash David - looks like a pretty easy repair, though. Nice mod!

Arnav, - the ES should be good airplane for your son. Glue a carbon fiber rod inside each of the fuse halves before you put them together. That fuse is pretty weak just ahead of the tail section.

Wolfe