SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Tim,

OK, thanks. I'll get the USB connector and learn about the Fuel Tables.

I guess I will stick with the Dual Channel mode, since it displays independent data for each pack.

So far, I'm really liking the charger.

Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:25 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,288 Posts
10xp charging muliple packs

I would like to charge 4 packs of 5000ma 6 cell batteries at once. My question is instead of using the MPA is it possible to connect all balance ports to a single 6 port on the 10s adapter? All of my balance plugs are the JST type. Still have not used mine and need a 10s adapter. Sure wish there were suitable schematics for various arrangements.
Also what is the function of balance the ports? Do they actually charge each individual cells, if so at what currents? Or do they just monitor each cell voltage?
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Last edited by p901P901; Dec 24, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:03 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
I would like to charge 4 packs of 5000ma 6 cell batteries at once. My question is instead of using the MPA is it possible to connect all balance ports to a single 6 port on the 10s adapter? All of my balance plugs are the JST type. Still have not used mine and need a 10s adapter. Sure wish there were suitable schematics for various arrangements.
Also what is the function of balance the ports? Do they actually charge each individual cells, if so at what currents? Or do they just monitor each cell voltage?
From the Revolectrix website:

Supported Cell Counts:
LiPo, LiIon, LiMg - 1s-10s balanced, 1s, 2s unbalanced
A123 (LiFEPO4) - 1s-10s balanced, up to 12s unbalanced
NiCd - up to 28 cells (non-balanced)
NiMH - up to 28 cells (non-balanced)
Pb (Lead) - up to 24V

I don't think it is designed to charge two 6s batteries at the same time (which would be 12s total), let alone four.

I wanted the capacity to charge four 5000mAh 5s LiPo's, so I have 2 chargers, a 10XP and my older 10S.

The good news is, depending on the state of discharge and the IRs of your battery cells (and the amps/volts from your Power Supply) the 10XP can recharge a 6s pretty darn fast. Mine regularly recharges 10s 5000mAh in about 40 minutes - sometimes even quicker - with a starting voltage of about 3.7v/cell.

EDIT: OOPS! Not so fast... found this in my e-mail inbox this morning - MPA, new product which expands the port capacity greatly.

-- Bob
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Last edited by cmoulder; Dec 24, 2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: add info re new product
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:02 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post

Hi:

Then only way to charge more than one 6s pack at a time on the 10XP is to charge parallel. There are of course, a number of alternatives to allow you to interface batteries in parallel. If you go the MPA route, you have all the safety and protection of individual, resettable fuse protection, and main wire fuse protection for every pack. Otherwise, we have supplied you with the information you would need to come up with your own form of wiring harness, or retrofit something else. Check the user guide starting page 30 for XH WIRING MODE.

Go to the product's tab page and click the first link for the user guide:

http://www.revolectrix.com/10xp_links_tab.htm

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:18 PM
United States, MI, Durand
Joined Feb 2004
67 Posts
Tim,
Is it possible to HIDE presets using the 10XP's CCS?

Bill
jones04 is offline Find More Posts by jones04
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:02 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones04 View Post
Tim,
Is it possible to HIDE presets using the 10XP's CCS?

Bill

Hi:

Yes, all you have to do is highlight and delete the preset names you want to hide and then click Update.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:51 AM
Plaurence
Joined Jul 2009
81 Posts
Tim,

I want to tell everyone on this forum the following:
I have been out of the hobby for over 15 years.I primarily use nicads and fly basic sport planes.I purchased a Multi 4 with the USB port and CCS.

I didn't do my homework properly and discovered after receiving the unit that it did not cycle nicads.

I explained this to you and you authorized a return.
My best guess is that I had a full refund TWO DAYS after you received the unit!

As we all know, there are less expensive chargers out there.
The service from your company and you have been exemplary.

I will be purchasing the 10XS.
I would like to use two lipos to power my engine starter.Still trying to educate myself on the different type of connectors so that I can purchase the right
balance board. Any suggestions?

Peter
plaurence is offline Find More Posts by plaurence
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaurence View Post

I will be purchasing the 10XS.
I would like to use two lipos to power my engine starter.Still trying to educate myself on the different type of connectors so that I can purchase the right
balance board. Any suggestions?

Peter
fwiw; this one fits most popular battery packs....
Cellpro 10s Charger-to-Great Planes (JST XH) or Kokam (JST EH/HR) Adapter
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/Cellpro-10s-Charge-Adapters_2

More info on adapters here.....
http://www.revolectrix.com/cellpro_adapters.htm

As for using 2 LiPo's for your starter; I did that with a Sullivan Dynatron (2-3S1P in series for 24 v.), to start a (former) Saito 1.50 I had. Worked great, but battery life of LiPo's is between 2-3 years, so I've stepped up to A123's instead (higher discharge/recharge, steady voltage, long life).

**NEW** LIFE 4S1P-3300 mAh 13.2v Field Pack.
http://www.shop.kavarootusa.com/prod...&categoryId=10

Cool video on it's muti use, discharge, then recharge with your CellPro 10XP.
WrongWayRc New A123 Battery ideas (3 min 49 sec)
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:03 PM
Plaurence
Joined Jul 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1pcfixer View Post
fwiw; this one fits most popular battery packs....
Cellpro 10s Charger-to-Great Planes (JST XH) or Kokam (JST EH/HR) Adapter
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/Cellpro-10s-Charge-Adapters_2

More info on adapters here.....
http://www.revolectrix.com/cellpro_adapters.htm

As for using 2 LiPo's for your starter; I did that with a Sullivan Dynatron (2-3S1P in series for 24 v.), to start a (former) Saito 1.50 I had. Worked great, but battery life of LiPo's is between 2-3 years, so I've stepped up to A123's instead (higher discharge/recharge, steady voltage, long life).

**NEW** LIFE 4S1P-3300 mAh 13.2v Field Pack.
http://www.shop.kavarootusa.com/prod...&categoryId=10

Cool video on it's muti use, discharge, then recharge with your CellPro 10XP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go1Fq...ature=youtu.be
Thanks for the reply and info.
plaurence is offline Find More Posts by plaurence
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Jul 2010
47 Posts
Hi,
I have the usb cable for the Cellpro 10XP and have downloaded the charge control software. All is good and have used it all to good effect. Except one setting I'm not sure about and can't find the answer to.
On the presets tab, there is a column at the end called Fuel Table. In the drop down box it has 15c, 25c, 40c etc. Do I need to set this to the C rating of the lipo's I'm charging or does it refer to something else?
Also if it is the C rating of the battery what happens when I charge different batteries with different C ratings. For example my Align receiver packs are all 2s, 1900mah but 4 of them are 40c and a couple of them are the older 18c ones. Do I set it to the higher C rating in the drop down box or the lower C rating each time I charge?
Thanks for any help. Hope I've explained that right.
Cheers, Rich
Three6ty is offline Find More Posts by Three6ty
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:38 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,253 Posts
The fuel table is used in the following ways:
  • Display an estimated state-of-charge for the pack.
  • Determining the charge rate in the AUTO charge modes (1c, 2c, 3c)
  • Determining the charge rate for storage charge.

The fuel table describes the state of charge based on a given voltage. For instance, 4.2 is fully charged, 3.8v is 50% and 3.7v is 20%. These are rough numbers and the actual value varies based on the C rating of the packs.

Because the fuel table is different between a lower C pack and higher C pack, select the value that most correctly describes the pack you are charging. If you want to use a single present to charge both 18c packs as well as 40c packs you can. But I would not use the AUTO charge modes. Instead use a manually set charge rate. The fuel percentage may not be completely accurate for one type of the pack, but often close enough to use as a general guideline.

However, I find it most useful to have single preset for each charge rate that I use. As 18c packs are going to have a lower allowable charge rate than the 40c packs, it just makes sense to break these out to two different presents. Then adjust the fuel gauge for each.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jul 2010
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
The fuel table is used in the following ways:
  • Display an estimated state-of-charge for the pack.
  • Determining the charge rate in the AUTO charge modes (1c, 2c, 3c)
  • Determining the charge rate for storage charge.

The fuel table describes the state of charge based on a given voltage. For instance, 4.2 is fully charged, 3.8v is 50% and 3.7v is 20%. These are rough numbers and the actual value varies based on the C rating of the packs.

Because the fuel table is different between a lower C pack and higher C pack, select the value that most correctly describes the pack you are charging. If you want to use a single present to charge both 18c packs as well as 40c packs you can. But I would not use the AUTO charge modes. Instead use a manually set charge rate. The fuel percentage may not be completely accurate for one type of the pack, but often close enough to use as a general guideline.

However, I find it most useful to have single preset for each charge rate that I use. As 18c packs are going to have a lower allowable charge rate than the 40c packs, it just makes sense to break these out to two different presents. Then adjust the fuel gauge for each.
Thanks. Brilliant explanation. I thought it might be something along those lines. Off to do some presets now for the different C rating batteries I have.
Cheers, Rich
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Jul 2010
47 Posts
Hi,
Just a couple of other things regarding the fuel table settings. For example I have some optipower 3s lipos. These have 35c rating with max burst of 90c. The fuel table has 4 options of 15, 25, 40 & 50. Do I set it to the closest above or below? In this case 25 or 40?
Also as I have a a variety of batteries varying between 25c & 40c, do I need to setup different storage charge presets for when I want to put my lipo's in storage state? Thanks. Think that about covers it.
Cheers, Rich
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:04 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,253 Posts
Unfortunately different pack vendors use different methods to arrive a packs "C" rating. So looking at the label does not always tell the story. You may need to experiment a little bit to determine which fuel table best matches your packs. If the fuel table is wrong for the pack, the fuel gauge will be slightly off, and the automatically selected charge rate may be a little higher or lower than desired. Usually its lower. Also, you might find as many others have, that auto charge rates may not be as fast as manually setting the charge rate.

Storage charge defaults to 1c charge, stops at 3.8v. With those settings, there's little risk of using too high of current and since storage voltage does not have to be precise, there will be very little benefit in making multiple storage presents.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Jul 2010
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Also, you might find as many others have, that auto charge rates may not be as fast as manually setting the charge rate
So does the fuel table settings not affect charging if you manually set the charge rate rather than use the auto 1c preset?