Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:39 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdzzz View Post
Thanks Mfpage, I'm sure it'll work out

I've pulled the trigger on this motor, and will probably use the 50A ESC that came with the dynam FW-190.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Alex
Probably a little over kill on the ESC, but the extra weight of the 50A ESC may help on the CG.. May have to carve some foam to fit in the ESC. Be sure to check the CG, because I had to add nose weight.

Mfpage
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Yeah the 50A ESC is overkill but that's the only one I have laying around. I was thinking of making the motor wires longer and fit the ESC inside the fuse and not between the fuse and the cowl.

I plan on using my 3300 3s lipos as I do not have any 2200 at the moment, any thoughts on that? They're not that much havier than the 2200's

Thanks

Alex
warbirdzzz is offline Find More Posts by warbirdzzz
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
So the build is going slow but good. All parts are fitting as they are supposed to. The flap hinges were installed with little effort. I still need to install the flap servos. The receiver is installed but I need my buddy to change the ESC connector over to the EC3 that all my batteries are wired for. Hopefully this will happen tomorrow so I can make sure all of the electronics work. I'm planning on using magnets to secure the cowl. How about these nav lights that headsuprc.com is selling? There's talk about BEC's, UBEC's, ABC's & UFO's I haven't a clue. I would like to install these as they would be a cool WOW! factor. I've read some stories about burning up ESC's due to excessive power draw. Can anyone please shed some light on this issue as I would like to order these lights ASAP. We are not really interested in the strip lights, as we are trying to keep it looking scale. Thank you.
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:37 PM
NORDPAC S3
Joined Jan 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdzzz View Post
Yeah the 50A ESC is overkill but that's the only one I have laying around. I was thinking of making the motor wires longer and fit the ESC inside the fuse and not between the fuse and the cowl.

I plan on using my 3300 3s lipos as I do not have any 2200 at the moment, any thoughts on that? They're not that much havier than the 2200's

Thanks

Alex
I'm running 1800mah 3s batteries, so your 3300's are 45% heavier than my setup, but only 33% heavier than with a 2200 battery. You also added weight with your 50A ESC. The motor will most likely handle the weight but you performance will suffer. Once again check your CG with your battery and ESC additions. If possible, try to add your ESC under the cowl.

I'd try a flight with a 3300 3S, but be ready to land if it doesn't feel right or have power you feel you require.

Keep us informed.

Mfpage
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,505 Posts
In case anyone is trying new props on the stock motor:

While waiting for a larger motor to arrive, I tried a 10x8 prop on the stock motor. It drew about 15amps on a 3 cell 2200. (the stock prop drew about 12) This 10x8 prop seemed worse for thrust than the stock prop during normal flying.
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpage View Post
2-blade 10x7E and Emax BL2215/20 59grams
22 amps 228 watts

Try ebay for the motor. Have to enlarge the inside of the cowl with an exacto knife but the SR flies with authority with this setup.

Mfpage
This motor works well for me on the stock prop and ESC. The motor was a good fit, I didnít even have to cut, I just filed down a few mm's where the motor comes through the cowl.

It is much easier (and safer) to take off on a short runway now. Once in the air, it's still fun to fly lazily at 60% throttle.
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
NORDPAC S3
Joined Jan 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
This motor works well for me on the stock prop and ESC. The motor was a good fit, I didnít even have to cut, I just filed down a few mm's where the motor comes through the cowl.

It is much easier (and safer) to take off on a short runway now. Once in the air, it's still fun to fly lazily at 60% throttle.
Glad you're pleased. It's a great little motor.

Mfpage
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:09 AM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Well finally got the motor in and finished to put everything together.

This plane looks beautiful. Emax motor slipped in place with no modification at all.

Ran it with the stock ESC and Prop thru the watt meter with a mildly used 3s freshly charged, got 210 watts WOT peak and 200 watts static, pulling 19 amps, not bad, sure feels like it want to fly off easily. Will prob test tomorrow.

Uploaded some pics of the build and finished bird.

Flap installation was a breeze. The turnigy servo delay device really makes it look good with the flaps coming down slowly.

Ended up modding the cowl and now attach it by 2 screws that go into little balsa pieces i've epoxied in.

Hope you guys like it

Alex
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
NORDPAC S3
Joined Jan 2009
1,105 Posts
All you pilots please check your CG before flying.

Mfpage
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
CG is spot on with a 2200 # cell..haven't tried yet with the 3300's

will let you know

Alex
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined May 2011
126 Posts
I have noticed that this plane does not like to fly slow. Mine has a bad tendency to tip stall and roll over. This is very unsettling when I'm close to the ground of course. I need to remember to put the flaps down.
Fei Hu is offline Find More Posts by Fei Hu
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
Warbirdzzz,did you install those lights or did it come with them already installed. If you did it, please tell me how you did it, what kit you used, where you got it and how you will be powering them. Thanks....
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Warbirdzzz,did you install those lights or did it come with them already installed. If you did it, please tell me how you did it, what kit you used, where you got it and how you will be powering them. Thanks....
rcflyinff the light kit is this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ng_System.html from Turnigy

I did install it myself, but I did have to elongate the nav lights as the wires weren't long enough for these wings. Other than that just ran the wires thru the plane and poked some hole with a srewdriver. The kit comes with 'sockets' for the LED's which make the final product look better installed. I used the same 'sockets' on the cowl, where i placed two screws to hold the cowl.

Kit is pretty straight forward, works like a charm, really powerfull LED's. As the LED aren't diffuse LED's i sanded them a bit and that really helped to be able to see them while flying in almost any direction, and not just when the LED's are facing you straight. I am powering the kit with a open slot on my reciever, and also using a Turnigy switch, to switch the light on/off thru the Tx.

Alex
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
Thank you for the info warbirdzz. When you say you sanded the lights, do you mean you actually took sandpaper to these? How about the UBEC I've heard so much about to power the lights? Doesn't sound like you went that route and are able to use them.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
Well we had the maiden voyage this morning and it was very successful. As you might know from previous posts, this was my 10y/o sons B-Day present, so he wanted to be the first to fly it. He has been doing very well on the buddy box with our PZ T-28, so why not give it a try. He went through his preflight check out, taxied over to the runway, applied throttle slowly, then lifted off very nicely. He got up to altitude and it just required a couple of clicks of up elevator and it was flying straight and level between 1/2 & 3/4 throttle. He flew the pattern quite a few times and threw in a few figure eights before it was time to land. He did two approaches to get the feel for it before actually landing. He came in nice & level and with one bounce he had landed. We changed batteries and he was up again for another successful flight with a more greased landing at the end. But this time when he landed, we found that the right main tire & wheelpant had fallen off somewhere in flight Three of us never saw it fall off, nor did we see it was missing during the flybys. We did find the wheelpant out in the grass but didn't find the tire. Oh well, no big deal. I am really impressed with his flying abilities and the way that this plane handled. Even with the 950kv motor, it still had plenty of power, not to say that we won't soup it up later We were not able to use the flaps with the buddy box for some reason. When the DX6I & the DX5 were linked together, the flaps went down. The only way I could retract them was by activating the trainer switch on the DX5. So I pulled the plug on them prior to our flight. Anyone ever had this happen?