HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:43 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Saxguy1000's Avatar
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
What's a 120sr?
That's funny. I seem to see a thread within a thread in this 120 SR. That is, a lot of us--especially me--tinker with other aircraft, but we always come back here. The 120 SR and the Champ have a LOT in common in that they are both great fun and not too hard to learn and enjoy. I just love flying any kind of aircraft, but the 120 SR is the one I can fly almost every day in front or in back of my home. That means I can have hands on a tx with minimal effort and time--basically only the effort and time spent charging batteries. I've only expanded the front yard flying to the Champ because I feel now that I understand its tendencies well enough to fly it above the trees and recover. I still like flying around the slalom of trees with the 120 SR, though. So, as long as we return to the heli talk, there's no danger of this thread straying too far!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:33 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,844 Posts
When have you Guys EVER taken me serious
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Saxguy1000's Avatar
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
When have you Guys EVER taken me serious
I believe every word you write, Mike. Hey... I think that very soon we're going to have a whole slew of guys with their new Christmas 120 SRs on here. Then we'll have to be serious!!!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:46 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I believe every word you write, Mike. Hey... I think that very soon we're going to have a whole slew of guys with their new Christmas 120 SRs on here. Then we'll have to be serious!!!
And just imagine all the Champ's under the tree.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Wind you go around in circles
Wind Spirit's Avatar
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
And just imagine all the Champ's under the tree.
Do you think I will get one? I try to be good.WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Saxguy1000's Avatar
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
Do you think I will get one? I try to be good.WS
You are a Champ, WS You, too, Mike All you heli pilots are champs!!!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
Look ma, no hands!
1Pilgrim's Avatar
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Is this the 120SR thread

Yeah Baby
Aren't ALL aircraft fixed wing until the engine starts?

There's an unspoken rule at our gym that "birds of a feather flock together" to reduce the risk of close encounters of the midair kind. I fill up the 120 cooldown periods with my Champ. The foamies all flee when the 120's fill the air!

Don't ya just hate those "senior moments"? Last night I got my 120 all tricked out for the #16 HD camera - RKH skids and battery mount - and headed for the gym leaving the camera back at the house.

Anyway I got to help a guy do the simple mods to his 120 right there at the gym. He's been flying it bone stock on super low rates for more than a year.

We squirted a little sewing machine oil on the bearings, adjusted the main gear clearance, added fuel line spacers to the canopy rods to keep the canopy away from the moving parts, and spiced up the low rates.

He was shocked at how much better it flies already! His blades still aren't cut down, balanced and tracked but that's a project for next week. Ooh, I disremembered to even check to see whether he's still flying with the short balls!

Yukking about rc is about as much fun as flying!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Dec 13, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2005
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
That's funny. I seem to see a thread within a thread in this 120 SR. That is, a lot of us--especially me--tinker with other aircraft, but we always come back here. The 120 SR and the Champ have a LOT in common in that they are both great fun and not too hard to learn and enjoy. I just love flying any kind of aircraft, but the 120 SR is the one I can fly almost every day in front or in back of my home. That means I can have hands on a tx with minimal effort and time--basically only the effort and time spent charging batteries. I've only expanded the front yard flying to the Champ because I feel now that I understand its tendencies well enough to fly it above the trees and recover. I still like flying around the slalom of trees with the 120 SR, though. So, as long as we return to the heli talk, there's no danger of this thread straying too far!
I've got over 30 years of stick time on planes and I decided to move to helis for one reason; they can be flown indoors, or outdoors without the need for a runway. Planes require a lot more room to fly, and unless you have the room on your own property, you have to belong to a club to fly. That in and of itself isn't bad thing, it's all the other garbage that goes with it that's bad. Being a club member you have to pay dues, and of course you have to have AMA insurance, then you're constantly pressured into coming to all the club meetings, they want you to be a club officer, partake in fund raisers, meets, help take care of the field, etc., and pretty soon you have no time for flying. Oh, and I absolutely hate club politics, and I've never belonged to a club that didn't do it. I got so sick of the club BS I gave up flying planes altogether. I can't wait to do my own thing with helis....
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
Which way is up?
stuball56's Avatar
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
That's just the way I felt when I was in a club and racing off road buggies/trucks. I hated all the other stuff that went with it. I mean, I see why they need you to do all that. But I just wanna run my RC's. I have a lake right across the road, you wouldnt believe the battle I have had to be able to run my boats. I can now run them only from 8 to 10 in the morning. With my heli's I can fly when and where I want to. Me and my two sisters do own a 10 acre field, but it is an hour and a half from me.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2005
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
That's just the way I felt when I was in a club and racing off road buggies/trucks. I hated all the other stuff that went with it. I mean, I see why they need you to do all that. But I just wanna run my RC's. I have a lake right across the road, you wouldnt believe the battle I have had to be able to run my boats. I can now run them only from 8 to 10 in the morning. With my heli's I can fly when and where I want to. Me and my two sisters do own a 10 acre field, but it is an hour and a half from me.
Off road buggies and trucks is what I went to when I left planes behind, but I didn't get the same level of satisfaction from ground vehicles as I do flying. Flying takes more skill...
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:07 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Saxguy1000's Avatar
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I have a lake right across the road, you wouldnt believe the battle I have had to be able to run my boats. I can now run them only from 8 to 10 in the morning. With my heli's I can fly when and where I want to. Me and my two sisters do own a 10 acre field, but it is an hour and a half from me.
8 to 10 in a.m.? Are you referring to R/C boats? Heck, if that's the case, at 10:00 I'd shift to R/C submarines with torpedoes!!!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:10 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Thanks for tolerating my off-topic tangent regarding planes... It's been raining here, so when I can't fly the heli, my mind wanders.

Some really good advice here from folks with experience. Both the Champ and T-28 seem like really sensible choices for me. I'll have to give it some thought.

So, just how "dead-calm" does the air have to be for the small Champ? Literally 0 wind? I know some say the same about the 120SR, and I certainly felt the frustration trying to fly outdoors early on. But, I learned quickly, and it wasn't too long before flying in 5-7mph+ didn't cause too much drama. I would be grounded most days if I could only fly in 0 wind.

Thanks again,
James
chimivee is offline Find More Posts by chimivee
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
Look ma, no hands!
1Pilgrim's Avatar
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
I've got over 30 years of stick time on planes and I decided to move to helis for one reason; they can be flown indoors, or outdoors without the need for a runway. Planes require a lot more room to fly, and unless you have the room on your own property, you have to belong to a club to fly. That in and of itself isn't bad thing, it's all the other garbage that goes with it that's bad. Being a club member you have to pay dues, and of course you have to have AMA insurance, then you're constantly pressured into coming to all the club meetings, they want you to be a club officer, partake in fund raisers, meets, help take care of the field, etc., and pretty soon you have no time for flying. Oh, and I absolutely hate club politics, and I've never belonged to a club that didn't do it. I got so sick of the club BS I gave up flying planes altogether. I can't wait to do my own thing with helis....
Really? Why don't you and some friends find somebody with five acres of grass out in the boonies where you don't need to worry about the neighbors?

You might need to kick in something to help out with the mowing, and you might need to appoint the land owner your informal "dictator" so you can agree on some simple guidelines and keep strangers off the property, but no officers, no dues, no meetings, no insurance... what's not to like?

You might even be able to find a nearby high school with an aviation course or two that would be willing to let you use the gym on a weekly basis during the basketball season in exchange for a used airplane & tx or two at the beginning of the school year.

The mowing and used equipment costs are really fees not dues - just a reasonable part of the cost of flying with friends..
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:32 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Saxguy1000's Avatar
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimivee View Post
So, just how "dead-calm" does the air have to be for the small Champ?

Thanks again,
James
Up to about 5mph--yes, the same as the 120SR. I love flying the Champ in the evening above the trees as the sun sets. The orange really shows up cool and it looks like a real plane seemingly off in the distance.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:36 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
BattleDude's Avatar
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimivee View Post
Hi all,

I've been lurking here since I got my 120SR 3 months ago.

But I've also been thinking about trying my hand at planes, and wanted to get some advice from the 120SR peeps.

James
Hi James,
First of all, no lurking! Get your butt in here and BS with us!

I can tell you my experience, but keep in mind it is only mine. There is such a wide range of RC pilots capability, that it is very hard to offer any suggestions that are "one size fits all"

I started on 3 channel helis. No problem.
I then went to the 120SR, and found it a bit difficult to catch on to, because of the different stick inputs(throttle on the opposite side) However, it didn't take long and the 120 felt more comfortable than the 3 channel.

I attribute this to the fact that I have done extensive flying in the online games that my son and I have been playing for about 8 years now. When I first started flying online, I just happened to set up my RumblePad controller that I use to fly with, with exactly the same inputs that a Mode 2 TX uses. So unknowingly, I have been training my hands/brain correctly for 4 channel RC flying for 8 years.

When I gave up the three channel helis, and started flying the 120SR, the 3 channel became harder for me to fly, cause I wouldn't fly it very often. I then realized I would be better off to stick to one or the other, which was an easy choice for me, 4 channel not 3.

If your the type that can switch back and forth between different modes or channels with no problem, you might start with a 3 channel plane. If your not, and your sure you want to eventually move up to a 4 channel, then you might just bite the big one, like I did and start with 4 channel planes. I took a few knocks at first, with my PZ P-51 Mustang, but it is cheap and easy to repair. I highly recommend starting with a cheap easy to fix plane at first, either way you go, 3 or 4 channel.

The rudder on a 4 channel does have a several uses. I use it alone, with no aileron applied to make small corrections in heading. I use it to make small corrections in direction when landing. Then when a pilot gets to where he thinks he is really good, it can be used with ailerons, to make some unbelievably tight turns and maneuvers.

I see you must have some age on you, judging by the age of your son. I am 52 and it is far more difficult to train the brain and keep it trained, than it was when I was younger, so I stick with 4 channel only now, and I don't have those "mind-farts" that leave wondering if I need to use left or right stick for the throttle!

Welcome to the forum.
Kyle

Parkzone UM P-51 Mustang
ParkZone UM Spitfire Mk IX (a super sweet flying bird)

Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX (also a sweet flyer, and highly loved by all pilots that own it)
Parkzone Messerschmitt Bf-109G ( a bit of a handful, not for the beginner)
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Blade SR RTF Electric Micro Heli by E-flite ghost2212 Micro Helis 6594 Nov 21, 2014 11:29 PM
Discussion Update Blade CP or buy E-Flite Blade SR or 400? markhwing Electric Heli Talk 10 Aug 06, 2012 04:16 PM
Link E-flite mSR batteries E flite 110-120 Hyp.CX 120 and others everydayflyer Batteries and Chargers 45 Apr 08, 2010 05:55 AM
For Sale Did you just buy a new E-Flite Blade SR? Z06 Tony Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Feb 28, 2010 01:01 AM
New Product Blade SR RTF Electric Micro Heli by E-flite ghost2212 Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Jan 07, 2010 10:36 AM