SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by courage@gp
Johannesburg
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
Build Log
Fairwind 900 build

Hi all, I was fortunate enough to find a fairwind 900 at my LHS. The plan is to cram in lots of super detail so I will be grateful for ideas to add more detail to the deck. First up removed the flashing with dremel and mouse sander. First super detail idea is to create a functional fore glass hatch.
courage@gp is offline Find More Posts by courage@gp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,905 Posts
I look forward to your build thread. Suggest if have a little time you visit this thread for a few ideas.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...781219&page=15
Although this thread is primarily about the FW lll is has some other information that maybe of value.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 15, 2015, 03:33 AM
Find More Posts by 22KV
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg South
Joined Aug 2014
28 Posts
If you buy any more boats, you are going to have to sleep in your car in the garage!
22KV is offline Find More Posts by 22KV
Old Jan 15, 2015, 07:03 AM
Johannesburg
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
aaah 22KV you know you want one too! Thanks Boomer, you are a world of info!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 01:48 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,905 Posts
Fairwinds are terrific boats that have stood the test of time. There are countless Fairwinds still out there being sailed and raced. To me they are a good looking yacht and are very friendly to new sailors and seasoned skippers alike. = good sailing manners. I guess that is why they have been around so long.

These older versions can be found from time to time here and on line and generally at very attractive prices ! They make great starter boats

I posted a few file photos I've collected of earlier versions of these classics.
Enjoy,
Boomer
Old Jan 15, 2015, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by boater_dave
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,233 Posts
Hey Boomer, that last shot looks familiar. I also have a FWIII in the box waiting it's turn. The construction tips published from the Bakersfield sailing club was what I followed to build a fleet many years ago (20 boats total). It seemed to be a good combination of simplicity and functionality. Resolved a few issues that the kit had. I would love to see a Fairwind built with a genoa and a better main sheet position. That lump in the middle of the cockpit just appears too far off.
Looking forward to this build and maybe getting mine off the shelf for my daughter to sail!

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jan 15, 2015, 04:54 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,905 Posts
Hey Dave
Good to hear from you! Not sure if anyone knows more about building these kits than you!
Glad you have a FW lll since they've become almost a collector's item or maybe they already are?

Pete
Regarding your idea for a "glass hatch" are you thinking of a "bowmar" style hatch?
I have been looking for those for sometime and found the ones in the picture below.
Here is a link to the Dumas online store with the hatches
http://www.dumasproducts.com/index.php?cPath=78_145_142

If this is the kind of thing you are thinking of, I can contact Dean Derusha - he may know where to get things like this.
The Tamiya Yamaha came with one hatch like this, sadly the parts are no longer available -

If you look at the cabin hatch, I made those out of black plexiglass which might be the easiest way to go on the Fairwind.
(To enlarge the photo of the Yamaha double click on the image and it should increase it's size to reveal more details.)
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 16, 2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2015, 06:18 AM
Johannesburg
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
Some progress pics. Got the hull nicely faired down to be seam free. Loving this rustoleum gloss white spray paint. doped the internal wood work for its own good health. Divers lead shot bags cut open to fill hull to 1.7 kg. Made a mess of the gloss navy blue waterline this am so those pics on hold for now.
Old Feb 08, 2015, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by boater_dave
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,233 Posts
No! Don't use the kits' giant wood radio board! It adds too much weight aft. Just a suggestion, of course. The Bakersfield Guide has some great tips, and can be found online. They use a pair of simple cross planks with the two servos screwed to them. This also keeps access open and allows for the hardware to get lower. Also, they recommend a slight slant to the ballast. You hold the boat bow down a bit while filling the keel. Again, keeping the stern light. If the transom is in the water, the boat will be slower.
I've got construction pics if you want, or search the forum here as I'm sure I posted stuff.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Feb 08, 2015, 11:54 AM
Johannesburg
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
Thanks Dave, eek the ballast is in with wood glue in layers of 500g per pour. Due to the natural taper of the keel bulb the pellets did end up forward of centre but not as much as suggested here. Nonetheless I have already decided I want another hull so next time will apply your thoughts.
The servo tray is not in yet so I will give some thought to making it lighter or visit your idea for cross members.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 02:00 AM
Johannesburg
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
Scratch built cockpit decking. Did not like stickers supplied. 1.5 mm balsa, prep with clear varnished tinted teak. Lay up a few coats. Light sanding between coats. Regular ball point pen to create caulking, lay up 2 coats matt clear lacquer. Dope reverse side to proctect timber. Copy a template of the cockpit area with tracing paper and cut to size. Here's a pic before and after fitting. Be warned if you try this the bulkhead cabin entrance is not symmetrical!
Last edited by courage@gp; Feb 21, 2015 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:49 AM
Johannesburg
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
Forward hatch progress. Cut away the premoulded blank that should get a nasty black sticker over it. Made up bulk frame from 1.5 mm balsa. Applied dope and same hull deck paint to the wood to simulate fibreglass. Will build inner frame for hatch cover from ply strips and some clear platic. Will be able to open and close manually. Great for airing.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 05:38 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,905 Posts
Can hardly wait to see the completed project. Having a real deck hatch will make it one of a kind!
Boomer
Old Feb 28, 2015, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,752 Posts
I applaud desire for detail, but a comment.......... if you are looking for an opening, working hatch (I wouldn't recommend it) most open so hatch hinges at rear of opening and helps direct air below. Unfortunately, this will also direct water below - not desirable! Last thing is to add another "hole" for water ingress. Especially if you get some wind and "stuff" the bow on occasion.

If the plan is simply to have a plastic/Lexan center to the hatch, but fixed in the closed position, disregard my rambling above. Most will opine that enough water can find it's way below decks via main and jib sheets without adding another possible location for leaks.

Just wanted to mention my observation before you go through a lot of work to make an operating forward deck hatch. Good luck with either direction you choose.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:26 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,905 Posts
I think this is what Dick's observation about a leak opportunity when certain wind conditions present themselves. Any place that might leak can be a problem.

Boomer