New Product
Hangar9 F4U-1A Corsair 20cc ARF- Electric Version

Key Features

Authentic scale outline features a dummy radial engine and removable antenna
Printed, flat-finish UltraCote® covering with extensive panel line detail
A legendary warbird designed to fly well
Top quality balsa and plywood construction that’s strong and light
Authentic VF-17 color scheme and a choice of three decal sets
Functional 3-panel flaps significantly expand the appearance and flight envelope
Ready to install optional E-flite® electric rotating retracts
Fixed-wire landing gear, scale tires, 8-spoke wheels and gear doors included
Pre-drilled or pre-slotted control surface hinge locations
Ready to mount the Evolution® 20GX gas/petrol engine
Electric power ready with no modification or additional hardware needed
Easy-access, top fuselage hatch features concealed power switch locations
Complete, high-grade hardware package included
Painted red, aluminum spinner nut included

Overview

Combining the largest radial engine available with an unyielding airframe is not an unusual set of military airplane requirements. However, it was Chance Vought that took the U.S. Navy’s 1938 wish list and created a distinctive airplane as well as a weapon that would remain superior till the jet era. So overwhelming was its success that it took the collective manufacturing capabilities of Vought, Goodyear and Brewster to help meet demand that wouldn’t subside until 1952.

The Hangar 9® F4U-1A Corsair 20cc ARF is a model that honors the Vought triumph in a way that makes scale RC easy. Its scheme matches the famous “Jolly Rogers” U.S. Navy fighting squadron (VF-17) that operated in the Pacific theatre in 1943–44 under the command of John “Tommy” Blackburn. Its color and detail are extensive thanks to an attention to outline accuracy and printed UltraCote® covering. Not only do the flat finish and feathered edges of the appropriate color lines convey a sense of realism, the quality of wood construction delivers a model with long-lasting appeal. But it’s the way this Corsair flies that will have you heading to the field every weekend.

Inside the fiberglass round cowling is enough room to house either an electric motor or 20cc engine. The choice is yours, there’s no modification for either power system choice and all the hardware you’ll need to make it happen quickly is included. If you’re looking for a warbird with historical prowess and great handling in the air, this version of the bent-wing bird is sure to make you proud.

The F4U-1A Corsair 20cc ARF is part of the complete line of top-quality Hangar 9® aircraft and accessories. All are engineered and crafted to exacting standards and feature the finest components and materials. Plus, every Hangar 9 product comes with the after-sale service and technical support you need to succeed.

Flat-Finish, Printed Covering
Using genuine Hangar 9® UltraCote® covering as the base, a realistic flat-finish printing process is applied that includes insignia, panel line and historically accurate colors. The result is an easy to maintain appearance that looks like a high-end paint job.

Operational 3-Panel Flaps
The 3-panel flaps authentically recreate the scale appearance and expand the flight envelope as well as help shorten takeoff and landing distances. Each 3-panel section features independent servo control for deployment that’s precise and reliable.

Three Decal Sets
You can complement the 1943 Jolly Rogers VF-17 appearance with the scale decal set provided, which can complete the John T. Blackburn “Big Hog” scheme, the Frederick J. Streig scheme or the “LA City Limits” scheme flown by John M. Smith.

Scale Details
Scale details include gear doors, removable antenna, dummy radial engine, painted propeller hub, wing guns and radiators plus an instrument panel decal. All that’s left to do is to choose a pilot figure such as the Hangar 9 1/6-scale military pilot.

Easy Access
The fuselage top hatch allows easy access to batteries and other electronics. Inside are cleverly engineered locations for power switches so that the outside of the airframe can maintain a scale appearance.

Choose Your Power
Whether you choose an engine or electric motor, installation is easy with the included hardware. The Evolution® 20GX 20cc gas engine is an excellent choice with outstanding efficiency and reliability.

All-Wood Construction
Lightweight design, combined with high-grade balsa and plywood construction is used with laser-cut accuracy to provide everything you could want in a warbird that’s sized to make scale modeling rewarding and convenient.

Optional Retracts
The recommended E-flite® electric rotating retracts (EFLG520) are an excellent scale add-on that goes great with the included 8-spoke wheels included. They require a simple bolt-in installation and accept optional shock-absorbing struts that make ground handling extra smooth.

Product Specifications

Wingspan: 65.0 in (165 cm)
Overall Length: 52.7 in (134 cm)
Wing Area: 802.4 sq in (51.77 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 11.75 - 13.0 lb (5.3 - 5.9 kg)
Engine Size: 20cc 2-stroke gas/petrol
Motor Size: Power 60B (470Kv)
Radio: 5+ channel
Servos: 7 standard (6 for EP)
Trim Scheme Colors: Printed UltraCote covering
CG (center of gravity): (75-95mm) (3 - 3.75 inches) behind LE at center
Prop Size: 16x6
Speed Control : 80A
Recommended Battery: 22.2V 5000mAh 6S Li-Po
Flaps: Yes
Retracts: Optional
Approx. Flying Duration: 7-12 minutes
Scale: 1:7.5 (13.2%)
Experience Level: Intermediate
Assembly Time: 15-20 Hours
Is Assembly Required: Yes

Needed to Complete

Recommended Brushless Motor Power System Setup
Recommended Setup - Gas
Recommended - 4-Stroke Glow
Recommended - 2-Stroke Glow
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2014, 05:06 AM
Find More Posts by no name dame
P-51's are my passion
United States, MO, Jefferson City
Joined Apr 2013
169 Posts
Nice plane
no name dame is offline Find More Posts by no name dame
Old Dec 11, 2014, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by Bhodi11
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2013
1,108 Posts
Very cool, new plane this year after all!
Bhodi11 is offline Find More Posts by Bhodi11
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by Thrawn150
USA, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Apr 2007
1,558 Posts
I do like they are moving away from the damn wire struts.
Thrawn150 is offline Find More Posts by Thrawn150
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by struggleforlife
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
2,068 Posts
A shame they messed up the wheel bays, and -again- opted for a static (and also pathetic looking- tail wheel.

However, I must own this one..
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
8,029 Posts
I was just pricing out the 60CC Corsair on Horizon's site when I saw this one. I immediately thought "I don't remember seeing this.." I guess I hadn't! Looks pretty nice. I like wood and glass, this is a great option and a nice sport size. The Tri Color scheme is super nice and with optional markings... even better. Price is pretty competitive too considering the construction, even though it needs gear. A pair of metal trunion 1700mm FMS Corsair gear could be an option, though you'd have to look for them but I think you could get a set for about $100. I don't think reliability is an issue with the FMS gear any more than Eflite. I've had the Eflite rotating retracts before too, in a 62" Skyraider. Way to go H9!

Regarding the tail wheel. Yeah, it would be nice to have a scale retractable one. But I am not so concerned about the static tail wheel in this size of a model. The scale looking, non suspension retractable tail wheels can be an issue by the time the 20th landing happens if you are off grass or dirt. Simple fixed tail wheels don't do anything bad for flying qualities, their only fault is they look bad in pictures... in flight they are hard to notice and it's good to not have the weight in the tail on short nosed planes.

Was originally thinking Power 110 and 8s but hey they think a Power 60 on 6s.. probably fne either way. 800 sq inches is not huge on wing area though so I'd say 4000mah 8s max for battery on the power 110 to keep her light. I fly my Ta-152 at 850 sq inches of wing and about the same flight weight on a power 110 and 8s 3600mah packs on a 16x12 or 17x12 APC. I fly 7-8 minutes no sweat.

Of note, the completion guide shows a 16x10 APC e prop where as the description shows a 16x6. I think a 16X10 is more accurate since the RPM on that power 60B on 6s should be about 7400 on the tach after losses and prop drag and the pitch speed would be just under 70mph, for 1700 watts in. Batteries at 29 oz for a 6kw 6s or 35c, 5.3kw. The 470kv power 60 would be pulling about 82 amps on that prop. That's about a 7 minute timer on the 5300 to land with 3.7v/cell or more in the pack, maybe a little more on the 6000mah pack. You guys with the P-47 would know more real world numbers.

A Power 110 on 8s and a 16X12 would give about 1800 watts in but about 10 percent more efficient (higher voltage) so prop pitch would be about 87mph and 7600 RPM on the 16x12. Power 110 motor weighs about 4.5 ounces more. Batteries would be 29oz for (2x 4s) 8s 4000mah and the motor would pull about 65 amps in this setup. That's a little over a 7 minute timer for landing with well over 20 percent left in the pack on the higher voltage setups.

At the end of the day you get more speed on the 8s system for the same flight time on smaller capacity / higher voltage meaning in real life you'd be throttled back on the 8s and flying longer or stressing the packs less due to a lot lower amp draws and also flying them less abusively for greater performance delivered. The 4 ounce penalty on motor is probably negligible on anything noticeable in flight. That's my soap box for higher voltage setups vs. the standard paradigm of going 6s on this size of a model. Just thinking aloud.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
Last edited by Eddie P; Dec 11, 2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by Bhodi11
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2013
1,108 Posts
I hope the overall quality and fitment of this plane is better than the recent Razorback. It was a nightmare up until the maiden flight. Too many issues needed serious correction. Maybe they can get this one right as I have been wanting a Corsair in this size. I was going to go the TopFlite route but I really like the way this one looks. If it is typical of H9 then flight performance will be excellent.
Bhodi11 is offline Find More Posts by Bhodi11
Old Dec 11, 2014, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by Dora Nine
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,848 Posts
Nice looking bird. I'm still hoping that Horizon is "practicing" on Allied planes so when they make that 20 or 60 cc FW-190 it's going to be everything I've ever dreamed of. ;-)
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Dec 11, 2014, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by fnlrun
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,945 Posts
Wow, another Corsair and this is coming from a Corsair guy to.....
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,348 Posts
I'll be tuning in......
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by CF105
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,731 Posts
Very nice! If I didn't already have the H9 Corsair 50, I might be interested.

If it were a Wildcat I woulda even pre-ordered...
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Dec 12, 2014, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by struggleforlife
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
2,068 Posts
I just pre-ordered.

It's a corsair by H9, so there really isn't any choice.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,363 Posts
Retracts & struts are now up on horizonhobby.com:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/60-120-9...tracts-eflg520

http://www.horizonhobby.com/60-120-f...set-eflg520f4u
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Dave Eichstedt; Dec 12, 2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: corrected url
Old Dec 12, 2014, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by mike2663
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,636 Posts
I like it.

F4U-1A Corsair 20cc ARF by Hangar 9 (2 min 52 sec)

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Dec 12, 2014, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by scoobiemario
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,247 Posts
I like this one. And Eflite retracts and struts I have in my 47 are awesome. I'm sure these will be same. Not sure if I'll get this one, since I have other giant ones to work on, but I'm tempted.
scoobiemario is offline Find More Posts by scoobiemario