New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by BilleFly
Joined Dec 2010
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Rudder is reversed too inverted don't forget ...
That's what made rolling circles tricky for me, I took a long time to get that rudder going the right way in all orientations.
OH YEA , your correct ; but you don't really need rudder, to do
a sloppy roll , (if you keep your speed up).

On the rolling 360's with a glider ; in ridge-lift . I go kinda fast
and don't use rudder because it eats up too much energy. The
down part to that is the nose drops between each 1/2 roll.
You can see my altitude vary a Lot, between right-side up, and
up-side down in this one below.

I put the flap Up , for better lift inverted ; and this P2K, doesn't
have a motor , (so it's kinda Light , in the weight dep).

If someone has a better way to do this in gliding mode ; i'm all ears ?

Bille

Rolling 360 (0 min 47 sec)
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,122 Posts
With no slope I can't really advice on the 360 roll on the slope,
I used to be OK at powered 360 roll and it really needed that rudder.
I tried it with the dlg and get about 3/4 of the way round till I run out of energy height bottle, I still used rudder but not very much and the trick seemed to be keeping the nose pointed down at just the right angle to maintain speed without giving up too much height, this could only be done with rudder to stop the nose dropping .
Also keep the ailerons at full reflection at all times during the manauver to keep the flow going.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Today, 04:11 AM
Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Spain, Principado de Asturias, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,676 Posts
Doing rolls with the Phoenix is not very eficient even in slope because this puts a lot of drag doing them.. even when i use all 4 ailerons to roll you see that yes it begins rolling faster but it dies fast as it drains a lot of airspeed... so usually i fly with only 2 ailerons for roll... even in strong lift slope you wont do more than 2 consecutive rolls..

its a pitty because my other sloper.. a SIG Ninja really has way more wind penetration, energy retention and despite having nearly full span ailerons it doesnt loose nearly as much energy as the Phoenix when doing fast rolls

Of course the Ninja is a 1.5m acrobatic pure sloper with Eppler374 airfoil and the Phoenix is basically a multirole foamie and cant be expected to perform equally.. but a bit more aerodynamic performance in the Phoenix would be nice

Probably it can be added by adding weight to the Phoenix to increase wing load.. tought that also increases wing flex when pulling
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Today at 04:18 AM.