HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:45 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,308 Posts
The statement, "They are perfectly safe during storage." if taken literally, without qualifiers, could create a problem.

I would present it like this, "IMO, Lipos are pretty safe when stored at storage voltage in a fire safe container accepting the fact that smoke damage is still a problem if in the rare case it goes off inside a house."

Perfectly safe (almost) would be to have your lipos in a firesafe container outside on a firesafe surface.
Pretty safe would be to have your lipos inside in a firesafe container where the smoke would be a problem but a house fire probably not.
Pretty unsafe would be storing uncovered fully charges lipos inside on or near combustible materials..

Lipo fires are rare but, if it happens to you, statistics mean nothing. Storing them in the safest manner is cheap insurance (just in case), so why not do it. After all, the price of repairing/cleaning a damaged building is quite signiicant.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:49 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
No but I have seen plenty of them he has posted out of context to make a point
I can't think of any times this was done, how about some examples?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Mar 09, 2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 11:36 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasov View Post
Are 1 cells as volitile? Can they be stored together?
Of course they are. Same chemistry.

My solution for storing small 1s batteries.

mw (LipoSack.com)
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:20 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,514 Posts
Thats a very clever solution Mark. Just went on your website and see the larger sacks can take up to 6S 5000 packs. Do you have any that would fit 6S 8000 packs?

Harry
Harry H is online now Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Mar 09, 2014, 03:47 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Lipo fires are rare but, if it happens to you, statistics mean nothing. Storing them in the safest manner is cheap insurance (just in case), so why not do it. After all, the price of repairing/cleaning a damaged building is quite signiicant.
If you are storing them indoors, you are going to be repairing and cleaning smoke damage if something happens regardless of how they are stored.

Obviously storing them in your towel closet is a bad plan. The focus should be on keeping them safe during charging, since they are thousands, possibly tens of thousands of times more likley to have a problem during charging then when they are just sitting on the shelf. People have had i-phones burst into flame in their pockets and on their desks, yet I don't see recommendations to store them in a metal container....

My point is simply that, statistically, its not worth taking more than the basic precaution of not storing them directly on combustibles. Unless of course you walk around in full body pads all the time, because you are more likely to fall down your front steps, get bitten by a dog, and get in a car accident, all in the same day, than to have your house burnt down by a lipo thats just sitting around. Your neighbors swimming pool has a greater chance of drastically affecting your life than a lipo sittin on a shelf.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Mar 09, 2014, 04:00 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
If you are storing them indoors, you are going to be repairing and cleaning smoke damage if something happens regardless of how they are stored.

Obviously storing them in your towel closet is a bad plan. The focus should be on keeping them safe during charging, since they are thousands, possibly tens of thousands of times more likley to have a problem during charging then when they are just sitting on the shelf. People have had i-phones burst into flame in their pockets and on their desks, yet I don't see recommendations to store them in a metal container....

My point is simply that, statistically, its not worth taking more than the basic precaution of not storing them directly on combustibles. Unless of course you walk around in full body pads all the time, because you are more likely to fall down your front steps, get bitten by a dog, and get in a car accident, all in the same day, than to have your house burnt down by a lipo thats just sitting around. Your neighbors swimming pool has a greater chance of drastically affecting your life than a lipo sittin on a shelf.
Sorry if I misinterpreted but your post seems to wrongly downplay the need for extra caution when storing lipos.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:01 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
Thats a very clever solution Mark. Just went on your website and see the larger sacks can take up to 6S 5000 packs. Do you have any that would fit 6S 8000 packs?

Harry
The LipoSack Plus would fit the pack but I strongly recommend that a vented ammo box or equal be used in conjunction with the bag.
We haven't tested them above 5000mah.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Last edited by Mark Wood; Mar 09, 2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:59 PM
http://linparts.com/
Joined Jun 2013
46 Posts
Thank goodness no one was injured.
12531785 is offline Find More Posts by 12531785
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:38 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,372 Posts
If I had a lot of "BIG" LiPo's I would have contacted the insurance company before storing them inside at home.
For old pb battery technology there are technical recommendations/rules how they should be stored in quantity.
The definition of "BIG" should also be discussed with the insurance people / check government
rules ...

In Norway e.g. it's allowed to store a certain quantity of fuel inside in
a well vented storage. BUT if You bypass this limit and it something happen
You can forget Your insurance money ...

Link to international rules how to transport LiPo's
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/d...-2013-V1.1.pdf
FLOEY is online now Find More Posts by FLOEY
Last edited by FLOEY; Mar 11, 2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:35 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
303 Posts
Yes those IATA rules are great but just take a look at how many companies cheat the rules by mislabeling the batteries. 5000 6S as a single pack....should bot be possible.
IATA did a spot check on us in Singapore last week and we passed. I did advice them that their rules were very easy to cheat and they knew the case that people are doing so with ease.
At REVOLECTRIX being in Singapore we are very liable for such breaches of shipping rules, not sure how it goes in other Asian countries as we regularly see bigger than 100Whr packs getting onboard aircraft from asia to rest of the world
REVOJohn is online now Find More Posts by REVOJohn
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:36 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,007 Posts
Bad Connector Fire?

Fire weirdness. I have a 4-port charger (two such, actually) on a table. I keep connectors for various packs on it at all times. Several weeks ago, while charging packs on two of the ports, a fire started when a short developed at one of the other ports that had NO pack attached! That port had one of those stick connectors that will charge six 1S cells in parallel. NO cells were on that stick, but somehow a short developed, starting a fire that destroyed the connector and damaged a plastic tray on the floor. Results were a bit of flame, some smoke, and some smell.

Twenty years before, in the old NiCad days, I left a pack on a wooden bench top to trickle charge overnight. In the morning I smelled smoke. A cell had shorted and scorched the bench top. Ever since then I've avoided charging packs on any surface. In the case of the 4-port charger, I position it at the edge of the table so that the connector cables hang over the edge. If something should go wrong in a pack, it will do so with the pack in mid-air, not on any surface. That's what happened to that faulty 1S connector -- which had no cells attached at the time.

Fortunately, all 4 ports of that charger seem to be okay now, though I watch it more closely now.

The charger is supposed to limit current to 6 amps, IIRC. So questions: was 6 amps enough current to heat up the connector to ignition when it shorted? That connector had worked reliably for several years previously. So why did that connector short with no cells attached? Should the charger shut that port down if a short is detected? Should the charger shut down totally? I don't recall now if it did.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is online now Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:42 AM
Lansing, MI
Joined May 2002
195 Posts
Any surface where I charge batteries is covered with Drywall (also known as plasterboard, wallboard, gypsum board, sheetrock)
JLLayton is offline Find More Posts by JLLayton
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:56 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
Fire weirdness. I have a 4-port charger (two such, actually) on a table. I keep connectors for various packs on it at all times. Several weeks ago, while charging packs on two of the ports, a fire started when a short developed at one of the other ports that had NO pack attached! That port had one of those stick connectors that will charge six 1S cells in parallel. NO cells were on that stick, but somehow a short developed, starting a fire that destroyed the connector and damaged a plastic tray on the floor. Results were a bit of flame, some smoke, and some smell.

Twenty years before, in the old NiCad days, I left a pack on a wooden bench top to trickle charge overnight. In the morning I smelled smoke. A cell had shorted and scorched the bench top. Ever since then I've avoided charging packs on any surface. In the case of the 4-port charger, I position it at the edge of the table so that the connector cables hang over the edge. If something should go wrong in a pack, it will do so with the pack in mid-air, not on any surface. That's what happened to that faulty 1S connector -- which had no cells attached at the time.

Fortunately, all 4 ports of that charger seem to be okay now, though I watch it more closely now.

The charger is supposed to limit current to 6 amps, IIRC. So questions: was 6 amps enough current to heat up the connector to ignition when it shorted? That connector had worked reliably for several years previously. So why did that connector short with no cells attached? Should the charger shut that port down if a short is detected? Should the charger shut down totally? I don't recall now if it did.

Jim R.
Interesting as I recently had a 6 lead spider loose connection to one of the ends. In my case that lead opened instead of closed as in your case.

Just another avenue for a problem to arise.

Good question about the charger not shutting down on a dead short, if in fact that was the case. I'm not questioning what you found but saying is it possible that it was not a dead short, but a strand or two that shorted acting like a heating element? could be possible.

Which brand charger was that?
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Mar 2014
8 Posts
you dont need to use safebag etc etc.
just buy an smart charger and JUST WAIT...if you want to charge quickly , you can lose all thing.
just charge batteries on lower speeds (ex . on 1 ah batts , charge with 400 amps on ~2.5 Hours)
ugur23 is offline Find More Posts by ugur23
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:55 AM
United States, MD, Reisterstown
Joined Dec 2012
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLLayton View Post
Any surface where I charge batteries is covered with Drywall (also known as plasterboard, wallboard, gypsum board, sheetrock)
Does sheetrock not burn?
llasov is offline Find More Posts by llasov