HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:55 PM
fernie bc canada
Joined Dec 2009
484 Posts
Discussion
Zippy compact batteries

Last week I got a couple Zippy 4S 4000 --35C compact from HK to fly on my Tarot 680 .

at first glance they look ok , charge them on my Icharger , checker the cells and IR , I noticed the IR was rather high for new packs like 20-25/cell !! not like 3-5 on Gens Ace ...

I tried them on my 680 and right away a few seconds in the flight my telemetry started to bark at me with low voltage alarm 14.5V !

These battery are bizarre they drop the voltage right away then sort of stay there , I still got my regular 6mn flight , just not what I'm used to ..

What's your experience with them?

I guess to be fair this is a $35 pack ...
joliecoeur13 is offline Find More Posts by joliecoeur13
Last edited by joliecoeur13; Apr 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:15 PM
Massachussets
Joined Nov 2005
229 Posts
I fly the zippy compact 5000 25c. Approx 4 mohms/cell. Sounds like you have a problem.
wingster is offline Find More Posts by wingster
Old Apr 12, 2014, 09:59 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2013
68 Posts
With my one zippy compact battery, it took a couple cycles to break in the battery and get its full performance. After perhaps 5 cycles, the battery had great performance. I didn't have any way to measure the IR of the battery when I first got it but it got noticeably warmer while charging and discharging than what it does now. It is 25c 2700mah 3s with a current ir of about 6mohm after 30 cycles or so.

I have noticed Zippy flightmax batteries seem to come with low IR without any improvements after the first few cycles so what you see initially is what you get with those.
CerealKiller159 is offline Find More Posts by CerealKiller159
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:13 AM
Bobbybrown
Ireland, Waterford
Joined Jun 2013
5 Posts
What is the the best tool for measuring the internal resistance of Lipo batteries and where can I get one?
Bobybrown is offline Find More Posts by Bobybrown
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:21 AM
Rebelliously devoid of tattoos
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobybrown View Post
What is the the best tool for measuring the internal resistance of Lipo batteries and where can I get one?
http://www.progressiverc.com/esr-meter-1s-6s.html

iChargers (Junsi) also measure IR reasonably well, but not with the same precision or resolution.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:38 AM
fernie bc canada
Joined Dec 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
I use my Icharger seems accurate enough.
joliecoeur13 is offline Find More Posts by joliecoeur13
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:42 AM
Massachussets
Joined Nov 2005
229 Posts
Revoelectric PL8 and PL6 chargers also measure IR.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 02:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,535 Posts
The trouble with all the chargers is their 1 milliohm resolution. That's fine for smaller cells, say less than 3000mAh, but for the big stuff it doesn't allow any grades between 'OK' and 'awful'.

I understand the PL chargers use an inferior technique to measure IR, but I don't recall the details.

Hence, in decreasing order of merit:
1) The ESR meter designed by Wayne Giles (RCG member) and sold by Progressive RC. (I own one and I'm very pleased with that particular purchase.)
2) The iCharger line.
3) Powerlab series.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 06:15 PM
Massachussets
Joined Nov 2005
229 Posts
The Power Lab chargers read to 0.1 mohm resolution.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 01:44 AM
Joined Jan 2009
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliecoeur13 View Post
Last week I got a couple Zippy 4S 4000 --35C compact from HK to fly on my Tarot 680 .

at first glance they look ok , charge them on my Icharger , checker the cells and IR , I noticed the IR was rather high for new packs like 20-25/cell !! not like 3-5 on Gens Ace ...

I tried them on my 680 and right away a few seconds in the flight my telemetry started to bark at me with low voltage alarm 14.5V !

These battery are bizarre they drop the voltage right away then sort of stay there , I still got my regular 6mn flight , just not what I'm used to ..

What's your experience with them?

I guess to be fair this is a $35 pack ...
I have much the same problem.

Frame: FY680 Pro.
AUW: 3.4
Batteries: 4S -- 2* 4500 (Zippe Compact 35C)
Motors: 6* SS V3508 700Kv
Both Battery alarm and OSD signal warning about 5 sec after i start.

Have 6 batteries, All batteries are new and only one of them seems to work
Mix57 is offline Find More Posts by Mix57
Old Apr 13, 2014, 05:43 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,665 Posts
The significant difference between the Powerlab chargers and the ICharger and ESR meter is that the Powerlabs use a much shorter time as the measurement interval. We know that under a decent load a LiPo takes a few mS to settle to a steady reading. My suspicion is that my PL8 never reaches this steady voltage. Presumably there is a correction built into the firmware to allow for that. It does however read to 0.1mV resolution while the iChargers read only to 1mV.

Since the Powerlabs and Hyperions read while charging and the iCharger in manual mode and ESR meter read by doing a discharge, it is not surprising that they might not agree. Particularly is this true of older high IR packs where the settling time is significantly longer than the measuring interval.

In practice, for packs in good condition, the values returned by the ESR meter, iChargers and Hyperions (with latest firmware) are very close. My PL8 is consistent but always reads a slightly lower IR then the other 3 methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
The trouble with all the chargers is their 1 milliohm resolution. That's fine for smaller cells, say less than 3000mAh, but for the big stuff it doesn't allow any grades between 'OK' and 'awful'.

I understand the PL chargers use an inferior technique to measure IR, but I don't recall the details.

Hence, in decreasing order of merit:
1) The ESR meter designed by Wayne Giles (RCG member) and sold by Progressive RC. (I own one and I'm very pleased with that particular purchase.)
2) The iCharger line.
3) Powerlab series.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Apr 13, 2014, 06:48 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,782 Posts
I just got 3 Zippy Compac 2s 1300mah measured on an ICharger all are IR16-19 so your batts are high being a larger pack.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:38 AM
Bobbybrown
Ireland, Waterford
Joined Jun 2013
5 Posts
Thanks for the great explanation jj604. I have been thinking about ordering a Hyperion Super Duo 7S charger and your post just gave me the shove I needed.
Bobybrown is offline Find More Posts by Bobybrown
Old Apr 13, 2014, 05:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,535 Posts
Yep, thank you jj604. A very informative post, as always,
Old Apr 13, 2014, 06:22 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,665 Posts
Boby, this is OT but worth motioning.

Not sure where you get your chargers in Ireland but Aircraft World in Japan are the retail outlet of Hyperion and their postage rates are very cheap (something about Japanese Govt subsidies). Also their responsiveness is excellent from Brian in International Sales.

They currently have the Super Duo3 for US$279.95.

The 1420 Net3 is a more powerful charger (14S and twice the discharge capacity) on special at 47% discount for $94.60. If space is not the issue you can have two 1420's for a lot less money and if one of them ever fails you still have a working charger. I have both a 720Duo 3 and a 1420NET3 and they are both excellent and work identically apart from the display switching.

Just a thought.

John
Quote:
Thanks for the great explanation jj604. I have been thinking about ordering a Hyperion Super Duo 7S charger and your post just gave me the shove I needed.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604