HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2013, 07:31 PM
United States, PA, Port Allegany
Joined Aug 2012
155 Posts
Build Log
Great Planes PT-60 Conversion

Ok so this is my first electric conversion and my second balsa build hopefully all goes well. Will try to post lots of pics of what I have done so far and how it all comes together in the end. Didnt think to take pics when I first started but when I decided to go electric I did. A few to start
74charger is offline Find More Posts by 74charger
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
155 Posts
Building this with the high dihedral working ailerons and the recomended differential throw.
Old Dec 03, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
155 Posts
Take a look and let me know what you think. Any tips? Have not come up with a power setup yet still trying to understand all of that. Going to be a bit before I have the extra for it anyways with x-mas and all. Building this for a lazy day flyer and to hopefully to teach my nieces and nephews how to fly.
Old Dec 03, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
Looks like a great project. Keep the pics coming.
FireChief4302 is offline Find More Posts by FireChief4302
Old Dec 03, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Jun 2011
27 Posts
Great Planes

Dear 74,

This looks almost identical to the Great Planes .60 Trainer I started in 1985...and haven't finished yet. I did not install an engine so conversion to electric would be fine. Finishing it would be finer! I shall follow your posts with great (planes) interest.

Sincerely,
Nelson
Raleigh, NC
CAMaker is offline Find More Posts by CAMaker
Old Dec 03, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
155 Posts
Thank you I have come to enjoy building almost as much as flying. Here you can see my take and start on a battery hatch I cut a quarter of the windshield off and attached it to the hatch retainer. it added a lot of room to get into the fuse. I am doing the bolt on wing and wanted an easy way to change the battery I will be adding a hatch latch to the front and a tab to hold the back in.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 03:45 AM
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
765 Posts
Since you're still in the build stage, you may consider putting the battery door in the bottom. The motor you'll be using weighs a lot, and will be sticking way out in front to clear the nose. Also, the battery is way heavier than a tank of fuel. I've found the battery needs to be further back for proper CG, making it inconvenient to insert/remove it through the windshield hole....

Note: The plane pictured is set up as a tail dragger, hence the forward position of the main gear.
Tucci is offline Find More Posts by Tucci
Last edited by Tucci; Dec 04, 2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: LG
Old Dec 04, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Aug 2012
155 Posts
I have thought about the battery door in the bottom just dint want to have to turn it over to change the battery. I am a beginner at this and figuring it all out is half the fun I think, Everything I could find on the PT-60 said it builds real tail heavy and so far it feels that way. I like your hatch being hinged and if I have to change mine think I will do the same. Wish I would of moved my main gear mount forward and made it a tail dragger I do like them so much better. I have been going back and forth on changing it for a while now I do want to teach my nieces and nephews how to fly with this plane and everything I have heard or read puts me toward it being easier for someone to learn to take off and land with a nose wheel plane. would like to hear you builder and flyers opinions on this.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 12:51 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,210 Posts
Last year I did this to the original Trainer .40 circa 1980's. She turned out to be a really nice flyer.

I used a Turnigy G46 swinging a 12x8 prop and managed 640 watts WOT, AUW was just a bit over 6 pounds.

I was running a 4S 5000 mAh pack, pack alone weighed a pound. Flight times were sick though. I also ran a separate RX pack in case I lost my esc I would still have some control over the aircraft. I extended the legs 2 inches to accommodate the larger prop.

Buildlog with photos of the restore work. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600933

To answer your question yes, tricycle landing gear are easier to take off and land with.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dedStik; Dec 04, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74charger View Post
I have thought about the battery door in the bottom just dint want to have to turn it over to change the battery. I am a beginner at this and figuring it all out is half the fun I think, Everything I could find on the PT-60 said it builds real tail heavy and so far it feels that way. I like your hatch being hinged and if I have to change mine think I will do the same. Wish I would of moved my main gear mount forward and made it a tail dragger I do like them so much better. I have been going back and forth on changing it for a while now I do want to teach my nieces and nephews how to fly with this plane and everything I have heard or read puts me toward it being easier for someone to learn to take off and land with a nose wheel plane. would like to hear you builder and flyers opinions on this.
You are quite correct, the PT=60 is tail heavy. I built mine with the same battery hatch that you have built. My Battery, motor, ESC and motor mount came to 43 oz and it still needed more weight in the nose.
JohnSH is offline Find More Posts by JohnSH
Old Dec 04, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
155 Posts
Good to hear I am on the right track I really did try to think this out. I am thinking about going with this power setup. http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-esc-batt.html seems to make it easy. Or I might start with a Great Planes Rimfire .55 42-60-480 Outrunner and go from there. Any thoughts on this ?
Old Dec 05, 2013, 05:26 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
523 Posts
Had a crashed GP Super Skybolt given to me. Did the rebuild with an electric conversion. Using 4000mah 6s batts, Suppo 4130/6 (from AltitudeHobbies), and ZTW 110A ESC swinging an APCe 16x10. Made a batt bay right behind the firewall with a hinged hatch on the port side. Power to spare and easy 7minute flight times. AltitudeHobbies has excellent CS as well, had an MG servo on one of my 3d birds strip a gear, sent them an email inquiring about rebuild kits for the Suppo mg servos, they sent me a new servo instead (free of charge). Good luck with your build, looks good.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Dec 05, 2013, 08:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
155 Posts
A few more of the progress so far adding some color.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
155 Posts
Got the rest of the nose covered now to build the wing. Would like some input on the power setup and I know I need standard servos what would you builders suggest that wont brake the bank ? Thx
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74charger View Post
Good to hear I am on the right track I really did try to think this out. I am thinking about going with this power setup. http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-esc-batt.html seems to make it easy. Or I might start with a Great Planes Rimfire .55 42-60-480 Outrunner and go from there. Any thoughts on this ?
Wow, great minds think alike. I am using the .55 with the GP 60 amp ESC and a thunder tiger 6s 5mAh battery. Flies great good for about 5 min depending on how hard you push it.
JohnSH is offline Find More Posts by JohnSH