HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:49 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
Help!
electric motor started chattering clockwise and ant engine gets very hot very fast

Please help I have just received a turnigy Trooper SCT X4 1/10 monster truck after just 30 seconds of slow to medium movement the truck stopped and the electric motor started chattering both drive gears back and forth very fast and the engine gets very hot very fast. I removed the electric motor from the truck and started to test the motor while using the transmitter to vary the speed of the motor while holding the motor in my hand. I varied the speed of the motor in my hand from hi medium and low. When the motor was spinning normally at a medium speed in my hand it just started chattering clockwise and ant clockwise very fast about 5mm and the motor got very hot very fast. I stopped the testing. I am inexperienced with brushless motors. Could it be the ESC or the motor please advise me of your opinion. Please check out video at youtube http://youtu.be/2r0YlpZD8U0?t=6s
Gostrider 427 is offline Find More Posts by Gostrider 427
Last edited by Gostrider 427; Jun 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: video
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Jul 2013
3 Posts
its hard to determine from the video whether its the esc or the motor. are the phase connections between the motor and esc correct? if so, i would disconnect the motor and test that first. follow these steps:

Remove your motor and chuck the shaft in a drill....or better....a drill press. Secure the non-moving part of the motor so that it won't turn. Spin it up to make sure all is secure....you certainly don't want to see your motor go flying across your shop. With the motor shaft spinning at as high a speed you can muster from your drill...get out your volt meter....set it to AC vots and measure the voltage between all leads. They should all be about the same. If not..... one of your windings has shorted or maybe open. If your motor gets warm during this test.....it's defective.

if the motor passes the test, check the resistance between the leads from your esc ( with no battery), they should be the same also
EE RC GUY is offline Find More Posts by EE RC GUY