HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:16 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
3,998 Posts
It is perfectly safe to go down to 1.1 volts/cell for any Nixx type battery under whatever load your equipment is running at. No harm in stopping at a higher voltage, you are just wasteing a lot of usable flying time. Even at 1.1 volt/cell you still have about 5% or more of the battery capacity available.
Rodney is online now Find More Posts by Rodney
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:48 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
4.7 volts on a 4.8 volt pack, under load right?
Right. This will give you some margin for error and you won't have to worry about it.

Rodney may be right about being able to run a pack all the way down to 5% left, but running the battery pack all the way down to get another flight or two out of it is cutting it too close in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend that you do that.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:10 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
3,998 Posts
Only using 20 to 50% of the available energy doesn't hurt anything, but; if you only want to use less than half of what you can, why carry the extra weight and bulk, just use a smaller capacity battery and improve the performance of what you are flying. Most people do not rush to refill there gas tank on the car when it gets near half empty.
Rodney is online now Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:20 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Only using 20 to 50% of the available energy doesn't hurt anything, but; if you only want to use less than half of what you can, why carry the extra weight and bulk, just use a smaller capacity battery and improve the performance of what you are flying. Most people do not rush to refill there gas tank on the car when it gets near half empty.
I'm running a 4C 400mah pack in a F5D pylon plane (avatar pic)

I have no problem re-charging every two flights. I only put in about 150mah, but I am not taking any chances.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:52 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
984 Posts
Nothing wrong with the way you are doing it. You may be charging a little more often than is really necessary, but if it makes you more comfortable then do it that way.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:20 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,461 Posts
It really depends on the battery's real capacity and it's discharge curve.
Thats where I use this charger http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...6-charger.html
Most all battery failures I've seen have been due to it's capacity vs it's load voltage.

I have also switched over to the LiFe batteries as well. Thoses batteries do not work with an loaded voltmeter. But being lighter , able to deliver more amps, and not have the self discharge issue, nor the memory issue of nicds
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:45 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Dec 2009
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
If you had a gas guage on your battery this would be a valid argument
Arceenut is offline Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:01 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
If you had a gas guage on your battery this would be a valid argument
Good one.

Coming from the guy with a broken gas gauge in his car.

I fill up every 250 miles. I know I could probably get 300 but.......
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:48 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,461 Posts
airplanes are not like cars.I top off my tank at every flight even though I might have 15 minutes of fuel left in it.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50