HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:26 AM
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Build Log
Modifying a Super Cub

I have a Super Cub that I will be changing up a little bit to add more power and add ailerons (3 channel to 4). Starting at the front, I have a motor and esc that was pulled from an Apprentice (he upgraded to a 25 size) and have ordered a motor mount from Custom RC Parts. I have an older Futaba 72 mhz transmitter and receiver from a glow trainer. I will either be cutting up a Super Cub wing and adding the ailerons (first time foam cutting for me) or cutting out two inches from the back of an Apprentice wing that has the airlerons and servo pockets already done for me. I only need to pick some new servos because the Park Zone servos are four wire and won't work with my receiver. I'll be using some 3 cell lipo's for power. Before I start, I'm looking for advice to make sure I'm not leaving something out and to make sure all the parts will play nice with each other.

First question: Does the ESC reduce power to the receiver and servos?

thanks,
Jim
Jim A. is offline Find More Posts by Jim A.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:31 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,055 Posts
No, the ESC will output 4.8 to 5 volts to the servos.

Your story here is almost word for word with me and my HZSC many years ago

Don't be afraid to cut your wing. It is a trainer in more than one sence of the word.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:23 AM
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Well, I received the new motor mount from Custom RC Parts and the motor fits perfect and no modification to the cowl.

Now on to the next thing. I have a Futaba Skysport 4 transmitter and an FP-R127DF receiver that came out of an older glow plane. According to the manual, the throttle plugs into port 3 on the receiver. The glow plane had a NiCad battery connected to port 7 through an on/off switch for power.

I looked at the Apprentice to see how it's set up and the 3 wire plug runs from the ESC to the throttle port on the receiver. I'm assuming the receiver gets it's power from the ESC through that port.

This is where I'm lost.

1. I'm using a motor and ESC from an Apprentice.
2. I'm using a receiver from a glow plane with a NiCad battery.
3. How do I get power to the receiver to the Futaba receiver?

thanks,
Jim
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:27 AM
A disaster in the making.
United Kingdom, England, Selby
Joined Jan 2013
353 Posts
On most rx the power is supplied by the throttle line via the light coloured wire and the black ground. The centre wire is signal.
Since I believe these supply an internal bus, then technically any port could supply power other than the bind.

I may be wrong though and others are welcome to correct me.
Damnandblastit is offline Find More Posts by Damnandblastit
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Well, I plugged the three wire ESC connector to the throttle port on the receiver. Turned on the transmitter, plugged in the battery and heard the single tone and then the three beeps from the ESC (3 cell lipo). Moved the throttle on the transmitter...nothing. I read over the transmitter/receiver manual and there doesn't seem to be anything about binding. This is an old 72 Mhz system, do they even need binding?

Any other suggestions?

thanks,
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:34 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
reverse the throttle servo setting. you are on chan #3 right. fwiw Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:02 AM
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Thanks Doug. I am plugged into channel 3, I switched the throttle servo setting on the transmitter but no luck.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
I just plugged another servo into the receiver and that does work. Maybe I have to reprogram the ESC.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 02:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Found it, the trim lever was not fully down. Power...woo hoo. Now to get some servos and cut out some airlerons.

Thanks,
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:15 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
537 Posts
check out the ultamate supercub help thread in the beginners forum everything you need to know about hz cubs and good peaple there
Wilf
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2013
62 Posts
Also check out http://supercubclub.proboards.com/index.cgi
everything imaginable that has been done to a cub is on there aswell.
dopey190 is offline Find More Posts by dopey190