HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2014, 05:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,938 Posts
Gaui X5 - Flight 1064 - Flight to music (3 min 19 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,938 Posts
Gaui X6 FES Custom ( X5 stretch to 610mm )

Link to the full build log: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post28156340

This build is a Gaui X5 stretched to 610mm, making it a X6.

The maiden flight went smoothly.

Gaui X6 - Maiden Flight (custom build) (5 min 42 sec)

Gaui X6 - 3D Flight 07 - 10.5° +/- Pitch Range (4 min 22 sec)

Below is the video for flights 2 through 6 where I was trying to stress test and find the viability of this heli.

Gaui X6 - Flights 2 - 6 - Gear Stripping Issues (12 min 48 sec)

Old Today, 12:48 PM
Joined Jun 2013
222 Posts
Very nice! Looks like it's 12S? Easy to strip gears if you have tons of power, and a small pinion, and the governor gain is a little too high!

Heli looks like it has awesome power!

I have not been flying my X5 much, but I did two packs today, just took it easy on it!

X5 4.23 (4 min 30 sec)
mini guy is online now Find More Posts by mini guy
Old Today, 01:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
753 Posts
Wow, very cool conversion. That thing's a total beast, it's running the bigger motor that I skipped over with my E5s build! Was the 3000+ headspeed a typo? I'm looking at 1950 - 2400 for the E5s on 13* collective. This thing's a total testament to the goodness of the X5 design

How are you liking the 4035? Is it just bonkers? I'm guessing since you can strip gears like they're nothing it's got "sufficient" power
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Today, 02:42 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jan 2013
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post

Link to the full build log: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post28156340

This build is a Gaui X5 stretched to 610mm, making it a X6.

Great work on the X6 there IHW!

Nice flying too!

How do you find the time to do all this stuff?
FlyingPhilUK is online now Find More Posts by FlyingPhilUK
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 04:11 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini guy View Post
Very nice! Looks like it's 12S? Easy to strip gears if you have tons of power, and a small pinion, and the governor gain is a little too high!

Heli looks like it has awesome power!

I have not been flying my X5 much, but I did two packs today, just took it easy on it!

http://youtu.be/rb0k6PT4pAk

Yup, 12S with a 3500 watt, 500kv motor running a 15T pinion. The X5 main gear is 0.8m. So it is kind of beefy, but 1.0m would have been better. Though it seems with the 10.5 range I am running right now @ 2350 RPM. The main gear should hold up for a while. I'll eventually go to 11, i think.

But yes, the heli is plenty powerful with the current setup at 10.5. I'm surprised at how well the stock GS-501 servos are handling the bigger rotor too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
Wow, very cool conversion. That thing's a total beast, it's running the bigger motor that I skipped over with my E5s build! Was the 3000+ headspeed a typo? I'm looking at 1950 - 2400 for the E5s on 13* collective. This thing's a total testament to the goodness of the X5 design

How are you liking the 4035? Is it just bonkers? I'm guessing since you can strip gears like they're nothing it's got "sufficient" power
Oh yeah, that was a typo for sure. I was up real late writing up this stuff. No telling what i put in there. It was meant to say 2350RPM.. I'll have to try and find that typo and fix it. Thanks. I would like to install a bigger pinion and get up to 2400 or a little higher, i think. But I'm having trouble finding a 16T 0.8m pinion. Outrage Fusion or one of them uses a 0.8m pinion also, and they produce a 16T. I just haven't been able to find one in stock at a shop i trust to order from. In the meanwhile, I'll stick with the 15T while i keep looking.

As far as the "testament to the goodness of the X5 design". It's even better than you think. If you look closely at the main heli CF frames. You'll see different weave patterns in the CF on the left side of the heli. I bought that heli used and the previous owner had someone who makes CF sheets repair the frames using CF cloth and resin from scratch. So half of the left side CF panel is a repair job and probably weaker than the original frame. You can even see the sloppy cut work done with a dremel or something. It isn't pretty. But most people don't seem to notice unless i point it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilUK View Post
Great work on the X6 there IHW!

Nice flying too!

How do you find the time to do all this stuff?
Easy, avoid the TV and women who try to tell you what to do.

In reality, i worked it all up in my head way before i started the build. Since i already have a X5 and X7, I was already completely familiar with the parts and what needed to be done. It took me a few weeks of ordering to get all the parts together and be able to afford the project. After that it only took a few days to put it all together casually between doing other stuff. The heli has been completed and ready to fly for about two weeks now. I just wanted to work through all the gear stripping issues to make sure this heli can be viable before posting it and giving anyone ideas that wouldn't be viable.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Today at 04:27 PM.