Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:35 PM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,207 Posts
Trader Rating: 102
Discussion
Warranty period

I sold an item approximately one month ago to a relatively new and inexperienced RC enthusiast. Three weeks ago, the item was received and positive feedback was left. Today, I receive a PM asking for a full refund because the product is defective.

My question is this: Given that we all strive to be fair to each other and work together, how long would you consider offering a warranty on a consumable item like an RC helicopter?

I'm thinking a few days from delivery should be enough time to evaluate the unit. After a week, it's hard to determine whether or not the item was broken upon arrival or damaged by the end user. After two weeks, probably not willing to provide a refund. After three weeks, not really an option.

Also, for the sake of argument, say the buyer decides to file a paypal dispute...how long would any reasonable person consider an item to be under warranty vs. how long does Paypal consider the item to be under warranty? Does anyone have any experience as a seller going through the paypal claims process?

I'm not using names because I still have no ill will towards anyone, but I'm learning a hard lesson NOT to sell to a new user while using paypal as a payment method. It's too easy for a buyer to use the item and then either get bored with an item or decide that they want something else or tweak it to the point of breaking it and ask/demand/force a refund.

Again, having been on this forum for a while now. I'm "asking" that this topic not get personal or negative in any way. I'm simply trying to understand, through experienced users of paypal, how the seller protection program works and whether or not to continue using paypal as a method of payment in the future.
Fidelity101 is online now Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
I find it odd that the buyer waited this long to contact you, I always try to inspect an item the same day I receive it if not then it is within a couple days. As far as the warranty goes in my experience most commercial stores warranty such items until they are flown.

What is the buyer saying is defective with the item and did they give a reason why they waited so long to tell you there is a defect?

Edit: I agree with Bhuwan no warranty - if it was defective you should've been contacted way before now
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Last edited by Nin3rsAllDay; Oct 17, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2012
161 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
no warranty - upon arrival, inspect condition and make sure it matches description. After that, you're on your own.
Bhuwan is offline Find More Posts by Bhuwan
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:44 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
851 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
Unfortunately, I don't think it matters what we think. Paypal gives you 45 days to file a dispute so the warranty period is 45 days when using Paypal.

I do agree though in a perfect world one would inspect the item shortly after arrival and let you know then if something was not working. Three weeks seems like a long time to wait.

Mike
AZcrashpro is online now Find More Posts by AZcrashpro
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:51 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,207 Posts
Thanks Mike. That's exactly how PayPal looks at it. The dispute was "bad battery" and requested a full refund. I offered to give a new battery even though I don't think I need to...but that wasn't good enough for PayPal.

I'm going to be very careful about selling to new users in the future. If they don't have a good track record, it's just not worth the risk.

Also, 45 days is a LONG time to play with an item and still be entitled to a full refund.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
He has to send the item back to you in order to get the refund right?
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:13 PM
Changing one life at a time...
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Aug 2010
338 Posts
Trader Rating: 93
Does saying "As-Is," "DOA Only," or "Refunds only if not as described" work for PayPal here? I know on a popular auction site you can sell with no returns. Or at least I THOUGHT you could...
JimStanmore is offline Find More Posts by JimStanmore
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mr RC Sound Unit
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity101 View Post
Thanks Mike. That's exactly how PayPal looks at it. The dispute was "bad battery" and requested a full refund. I offered to give a new battery even though I don't think I need to...but that wasn't good enough for PayPal.

I'm going to be very careful about selling to new users in the future. If they don't have a good track record, it's just not worth the risk.

Also, 45 days is a LONG time to play with an item and still be entitled to a full refund.
I totally disagree with PayPals 45day policy in our RC environment especially for used motors,esc's,helies,etc. and we are selling to someone that we have no idea if they know the proper use of these electronics. I've run into this with a NIB electric motor I sold and the guy had dissassembled the motor before saying anything to me which voids the warrenty even with the manufacter. I still say the biggest scam going is the buyer with paypal refund.
Hunkus is offline Find More Posts by Hunkus
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
Going Supersonic!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
727 Posts
Trader Rating: 74
I always inspect whatever I sell before shipping. If the package was packed well and no damages when the item was received then all you can do is help them troubleshoot. Has the buyer tried solving this with you first before asking for their money back?
Helldiver is online now Find More Posts by Helldiver
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:49 AM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
I always inspect whatever I sell before shipping. If the package was packed well and no damages when the item was received then all you can do is help them troubleshoot. Has the buyer tried solving this with you first before asking for their money back?
The buyer received the item three weeks ago. One week ago, he asked about a battery problem. (voltage of battery 12.3 vs 12.6). We go back and forth a few times trying to trouble shoot. Yesterday, he asks for a full refund. After offering another option, which was for him get a lipo charger or take it to a LHS to charge the battery, he opted to file a PayPal dispute.

I contacted PayPal, sent pictures of the plane pre packaged, offered a video of it flying before packaging, etc. The burden of proof will always fall on the seller to prove the buyer is 100% wrong.

My question has been answered. So to all that accept PayPal, regardless of "seller protection". You must be able to
1) show proof of shipping.
2) show the product was received in the same condition it was described.
3) prove it has been used by the buyer and functions properly.

With this in mind, I think it would be a good idea for all to ask that feedback left on this forum include a comment about the product functioning as advertised. Without that information, it's hard to prove your case.

Thanks to all who provided comments, I'm going to close this thread as I think the question has been properly clarified.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:54 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2012
161 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Damn that sucks dude.
Bhuwan is offline Find More Posts by Bhuwan
Closed Thread