HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
916 Posts
More stuff....

Here's the latest:

I found a nice thin smooth butter knife to be handy in carefully separating the wing parts, horiz stab, etc off of the waxed paper when the glue is done drying.

Adios - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
916 Posts
Completion of the "Tiger"!!!!

So here's the finishing-up of the "Tiger":

For the shiskabob skewer wing-hold-down, I used a cigarette lighter to heat the tip of an awl to melt a hole in the canopy, this worked really well and I think probably better than cutting a hole would have been.

Automatic Washout:
The turbulator/compression spars had the added benefit of inducing a small amount of washout into both wings. Since the forward top of the wing is resisting the compression of the tissue paper's tension as is was shrunk with water spray, the wing behind the turbulators was warped up under the tension of the shrinking tissue as it dried since there are no turbulators there, where there are tuburlators on top, there is resistance and thus no "pulling up" of the wing there. It came out pretty close to even.

I went out this morning for a really (too) short initial unpowered glide testing and trimming. It came out slightly nose heavy as measured against the marks on the plans for the Center of Gravity/Balance point. It flew like it too so I added a little bit of clay on the rear landing skid base. I took a backpacking stove with me to do some heat warping/unwarping and I did a little to try to even things up but ran out of time.

One thing it does is it really wants to turn right after what looks like a very slight stall when tossed into the almost-not-there- breeze(actually not a "breeze", just slight air movement).

Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow morning to do more.

Bruce, thanks again for all the trim advise you gave to Erratix(sp?), I printed off your posting and keeping it handy.

Adios - Paul
Last edited by Pauliwog; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,432 Posts
Very nice and well done.

Try a little and I mean a little left rudder on it to stop the right hand turn you mention.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:08 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,246 Posts
Looks really good! How did the weight end up?

Just to clarify: do you mean right turn under glide trim? Are you gliding it with the prop free wheeling?
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
916 Posts
Non-flying update.......

Hey, Since it was foggy and the grass wet, I cleaned the bathroom and swept the house and worked on a DIY digital TV antenna instead of additional testing and trimming of the plane.

Thanks for the compliments and advice. As far as weight goes, I don't have a measured weight other than "really light in the hand" and "floaty slow in the air".

As far as the right hand diving turn goes, that was during glide trimming and I do believe the prop was free-wheeling at the time, good question though as I asked my self that question since the prop seems like it would be enough to make the plane roll into a turn if stuck in a stationary position.

I took a REALLY close look at the horiz stab and that may be part of the problem since it has a very slight warp in it that "could" be the culprit. So, another trip to the park with the backpacking stove will be in order. I'll adjust the horiz stab first and get it nice and flat/straight, then start adjusting the rudder after that, and recheck the wings to make sure they have the same amount of washout.

One problem I noticed was that upon landing, the prop get stuck in the grass, the lower blade gets caught, acts as a lever pushing the "drive shaft" wire upward to the top of the front "engine compartment" and pokes it through the tissue. Annoying.

Is there a general solution to the above mentioned problem?

Thanks - Paul
Last edited by Pauliwog; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:32 AM
yes, its a flying lamb :)
Bitola, Republic of Macedonia
Joined Apr 2009
531 Posts
A long nose plug and a tight fit for the thrustbutton and shaft works. usually...

I've been a quiet observer of this build and I liked it, both the model and the thread's developing conversation. A fine model!

Regards,
Dragan
draganbt is offline Find More Posts by draganbt
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Jan 2010
916 Posts
Longer nose plugs.....

Hey Dragan, That sounds like a good simple way to fix the problem. Glad you like the plane and the thread. Where I live we haven't had any rain for almost 4 months, and now that I have the plane finished, the rain just started and came in heavier than usual for the first rain of the season. Hopefully it will be dry enough soon to go fly it.

Adios - Paul
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,901 Posts
I sort of lost track of this thread the last few days. You've done a lot in that time. Nice looking bird.

Assuming you want to fly it right-right I'd remove the washout in the left wing panel with a steam kettle. It seems odd but when you've got a model which is intended to fly in circles you do not really want it to be totally symetrical side to side. It took me a while to learn this "trick" but it's served me well for the past 25 some odd years of free flighting. If it helps just look up how and why they "weight jack" oval track race cars for the same reason that they only turn one way.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Jan 2010
916 Posts
Rain and stuff.....

Well I just got back into town and the rain has come back roaring so everything is too wet to fly for awhile.

Bruce- I'll get the warp out of the horiz stab first, see what happens then go from there and probably try what you suggested as well as what Gossie said about some
very, very small rudder tweeking adjustment.

Adios- Paul