HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:23 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
122 Posts
PVC Rear Bacelle

Hi guys, only a ;little achieved to-day. Temp reached 40.1 C and not sure what it was in the garage but hot, I like it hot but not quite that hot.
Mounted the servo, cleaned up (former 4) photos show the small progress. But it was progress, Next the PVC skin. Went to model shop and bought some 2.50 mm bolts so can make the last bracket, Will show tomorrow a small problem but easily fixed.

Bruce the first two tries showed that when building the nacelle on the wing (as per the design) gives strength and former location. Once you make it stand alone, massive change as everything must provide strength to the overall shape, else the skin will dominate and looks lousy. This will be heavier by default, not sure by how much

All best Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Last edited by Roddie; Jan 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:00 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Looks good... waiting for skin and the ALUM doors and removable aft section to be installed
I hope the high heat won't melt or sag that PVC? I know that you would be very unhappy then.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jan 22, 2014, 01:38 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
122 Posts
PVC Rear Nacelle

Hi Bruce, thanks for your interest and comments. Not sure about the Aluminum doors as I bought (part of the kits) the fiber under-carriage glass doors. Yep I had thought of the temp problem and accepted that if it happens that is fate. It has been an interesting journey.

Progressed with the build and rediscovered why they have such a fine trailing edge its all with the shape and the way the skin attaches to the Rear Nacelle frame. So I guess my frame is very similar to the actual. As the photo shows I now have progressed with one-side skinned and started to final shape the second side. The question is how do I complete the final top curve when the first side covers the frame??

Bruce and Rick, thanks for your interest and support.

All Best Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Jan 22, 2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 05:20 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Looks great Roddie you haven't forgotten about your landing gear fitting in there have you?

Bruce
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:20 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
122 Posts
PVC Rear Nacelle

Hi Bruce, I left the center bit to maintain the shape while I skin the nacelle. Once it is complete, the last part is to remove the center. I found out this with my previous attempts, that once you start removing the nacelle, from the wing, it is so floppy and very hard to keep the shape. Also I have tried the landing wheel movement, bit of timber as the the gear and the wheel. All ok

But now I have found out why that last bit that juts out past the flaps is that shape and I must make some alterations to cater for it.
Will take plenty of photos will I fix it up.

All best and many thanks for your interest. Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Jan 23, 2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:52 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
122 Posts
PVC Rear Nacelle

Bruce and all, I have completed the basic shape of the nacelle and now have to fit the under-carriage doors.and hinges. I also found that due to the nacelle being detachable I had to modified the upper rear portion, the photos tell it better that I can explain. As I built it I found that I could drill some lighten holes but PVC is notorious for splitting in the wrong place, so drill carefully and extremely cleanly. Do not leave any burrs as these will become a stress point and split. Particularly thin PVC and this is 2mm thick and a styrene skin.
I started asking around for someone n Canberra who has a combo lathe-milling machine. to start on the under-carriage it self.
Well all best Rod
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:48 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
Very nice!!! Excellent craftsmen ship.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:33 PM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
355 Posts
Looks great Roddie - want to make me a set???? Just kidding, seriously good workmanship though. Might do this on my other one

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:31 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
122 Posts
Thanks guys, I am rather pleased myself. But I will taking a break from building while I do my other passion, traveling.
When I return I will start on the Under carriage and have a few ideas, and post photos as I go.
The sad thing is the Mosquito in the local Museum has its under-carriage up so I cannot take any photos for assistance so if any of you have good shots of the Mosquito's under- carriage I would appreciate. But that will be later on.

All Best and thanks Rod. .
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:07 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Roddie... I'm impressed also I just can't get my head around the PVC and I'm wondering how well it will hold up when it's a very hot day? Will it sag or loose it's shape?

All the best w/ her I can't wait to see the gear in there working w/ the doors.

Bruce
Old Feb 02, 2014, 04:41 PM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
These any use Roddie?
grahamj4 is offline Find More Posts by grahamj4
Old Mar 18, 2014, 02:03 AM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Not much progress here lately, what little building time I've had has been repairing other models.... Meanwhile, my apprentice tends to slow things down but I keep him on anyway lol
grahamj4 is offline Find More Posts by grahamj4
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:17 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Grham.... good to hear from you I understand about being busy w/ the little ones; he looks to be a great helper,

I haven't heard from Roddie in a long while he's suppose to come back hear state side
this spring to see his son, and said he may pop in at my place as well.
I trust all is well w/ you and hope all is well w/ him.

Bruce