HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:04 AM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
I was flying my planes yesterday in pretty heavy wind.
On some i had to use spoilers to avoid forcing them down. I tried the same with meteor and the effect was opposite: ailerons in up position worked like elevons. This gave me an idea for better elevator authority. I put a mix of elevator to ailerons and now at full speed I can do a loop almost as small as with my extra.
And this applies to inverted too, which until now was scary and done at 5 miles up.
Another thing worked is harrier and almost a hover and I am using a brick for a battery. (4s 5000 mAh turnigy)
While I was in programming mode I added to my throttle kill switch (mix 1) full spoilers and full down elevator to cut down on landing roll. Once I touch the runway I flick my mix switch and plane stops rolling in about 15-20 feet.
I also put front gear servo on gear channel, separated from rudder, but mixed with it so I can trim both independently.
I put on the plane 8 flights since and love it.

Rob
Rob great job with the mixing! I think I will some of your findings into practice... I love the way my meteor flies! One day in the future I will buy another... and now that I am used to flying my meteor... hopefully i'll keep her unscathed as ling as possible!
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:27 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
Rob great job with the mixing! I think I will some of your findings into practice... I love the way my meteor flies! One day in the future I will buy another... and now that I am used to flying my meteor... hopefully i'll keep her unscathed as ling as possible!
You will be surprised how much difference elevons mix makes. If you got your elevator maxed out you are getting less than half of what it will do with elevons.

You will get more thrill and rush with out getting more speed, which means expense: more cells and different power plant.

Also try my slowing down mix. I don't use it every time, but when there is no room it's huge help. I can land now in places where I flew my prop planes only.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.6 Competition Pro REF
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:42 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
some simple custom painting
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Sep 29, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:20 PM
USA, FL, Doral
Joined Jul 2006
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Must have been a bad esc. I fly mine for a solid 5 minutes on 5s. Battery and esc dont even get warm.
Maybe, but over 20 flights on 4s with ZERO problems.
Then a couple of flights with 5s and the ESC died.
Im replacing the ESC with an 80 amp one. Is hard to go back to 4s......
yucafrita is offline Find More Posts by yucafrita
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:21 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
not all batteries are created equal. If the pack has a lower IR, then it will allow EDF to draw more current and produce more power. That may be the difference. If a 5S is pushing the edge of the specs of the ESC then you will get some fail and some not. You should put a watt meter on it and measure static thrust. It will then drop in the air of course. Don't let static thrust current draw exceed the ESC specs. Heck, I try to stay 10% or more below it for static thrust.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:17 AM
TakeOff=optional,Landing= Must
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
some simple custom painting
Thanks for the pic,
Anyone else done some custom painting?
fg1972 is offline Find More Posts by fg1972
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:50 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
Thanks for the pic,
Anyone else done some custom painting?
page 81 of the post
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:52 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
So I flew my plane yesterday.. and started having trouble controlling her... I was able to set her down gently, but noticed that my motor had moved and was now offcenter and scraping the shroud! this sux because I glued down the screw that holds the wings in place and I have to cut around the fastener in order to fix it!
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:07 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
ok so I made the cut... and found something interesting! I was doing some statice testing the other day... well honestly I was just trying to test the durating of my batteries... I didn't thing anything would go wrong... but in actuality, I melted and derformed the shroud... luckily I have a spare lying around!
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:39 PM
Mansell Models
United States, UT, Layton
Joined May 2004
1,257 Posts
I am running 5S and no problems, however I am also using a Castle Creations External BEC. I have now 40+ flights using 5S in 100+ or 38+ Temps and no problems. Flights are limited to 3 minutes and that is WOT entire flight. In between flights I will let the motor and ESC cool for about 10 to 15 minutes. I would not attempt using 5S without an external BEC. Just my opinion.

Tom
N827TM is offline Find More Posts by N827TM
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:04 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N827TM View Post
I am running 5S and no problems, however I am also using a Castle Creations External BEC. I have now 40+ flights using 5S in 100+ or 38+ Temps and no problems. Flights are limited to 3 minutes and that is WOT entire flight. In between flights I will let the motor and ESC cool for about 10 to 15 minutes. I would not attempt using 5S without an external BEC. Just my opinion.

Tom
it's not a matter of BEC.. The advantage of using an external BEC is not that the BEC will burn or something .. it's the fact that the ESC runs cooler this way...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:18 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,266 Posts
Pav the heat depends if the bec is linear or switching. Most esc's have linear bec's unless specified to be switching. Switching is prefered these days unless you go HV or opto then the external bec is needed of course. or you have a ton of servos, bells and whistles, lights etc.
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:22 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
we are talking about the stock ESC here..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:57 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
845 Posts
stock 60amp has switching bec
smasher41 is online now Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:55 AM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yucafrita View Post
Maybe, but over 20 flights on 4s with ZERO problems.
Then a couple of flights with 5s and the ESC died.
Im replacing the ESC with an 80 amp one. Is hard to go back to 4s......
I think maybe you just had a bad esc. I tested mine with a 2650 40c 5s battery. I was pulling 53.2 amps and getting 998 watts output on the stock 60 amp esc. Havent counted how many times flown on 5s. Probably around a dozen flights. More than 50 flights on 4s.
Strongbow is offline Find More Posts by Strongbow