HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:45 PM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Hondajet,

Nice review. I've got an email this weekend indicating mine has shipped. I was afraid at this price, there might be quality issues with the mechanical bits. Sounds like a total refit is in order.......

I have a radian that pitches up under power as well but solved that with a mix.

The minimoa is quite a bit heavier than the radian. Do you have any info on wing area or wing loading?

Thanks,

Jim
I would say each wing is 7" x 36" on average (give or take an inch here and there) ......

so two wings will equal 504 sq inches or 3.5 sq ft ......

using Honda's auw of 38.25 ozs gives a wing loading of 11.0 ozs per sq ft or approx 33 gms/dm2 .......

not sure how this would rate for RC Gliders ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:48 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Hondajet's Avatar
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Hondajet,

Nice review. I've got an email this weekend indicating mine has shipped. I was afraid at this price, there might be quality issues with the mechanical bits. Sounds like a total refit is in order.......

I have a radian that pitches up under power as well but solved that with a mix.

The minimoa is quite a bit heavier than the radian. Do you have any info on wing area or wing loading?

Thanks,

Jim
it is on that ART TECH manual link posted earlier.

Attachment with details....if you can make sense of their parameters!

HJ
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:50 PM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
I would say each wing is 7" x 36" on average (give or take an inch here and there) ......

so two wings will equal 504 sq inches or 3.5 sq ft ......

using Honda's auw of 38.25 ozs gives a wing loading of 11.0 ozs per sq ft or approx 33 gms/dm2 .......

not sure how this would rate for RC Gliders ......
Thanks for the info.

Jim
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Hondajet's Avatar
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
I would say each wing is 7" x 36" on average (give or take an inch here and there) ......

so two wings will equal 504 sq inches or 3.5 sq ft ......

using Honda's auw of 38.25 ozs gives a wing loading of 11.0 ozs per sq ft or approx 33 gms/dm2 .......

not sure how this would rate for RC Gliders ......
Yes...Me to....not up to speed with those tech Aerodynamic details..only know how to Fly em!!

My DG 1000 as mentioned appears to kick up a little better in gusts of wind ...may be due to the inbuilt rear camber of the inboard trailing edge. I think I will modify the Minimoa the same way....easy to do with some hot water and gentle coaxing of the EPO foam.....that way as airspeed increases with gusts or thermal activity...the wing automatically gains lift from this increased camber surface. We'll see if that works.......it will help in any case.

HJ
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:57 PM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX FISCHER View Post
With these reports of quality issues and non floater performance I'm kinda bummed I ordered one.
Can anyone say this is capable of thermalling?
Fear not .... I think you will change your mind ..... it's a fine looking classic glider that I'm sure will be good for thermaling ....... if you don't have any lift then get her up to altitude ..... set the throttle at a very low level, and you can stay up for an hour if you want .... no problem ....

Any changes you make in hardware terms in the future will be well worth it ...... rem it's a 99 dollar plane with 4 servo's ..... a motor ..... an Esc ..... I wont mind upgrading the electronic parts if and when necessay but in the mean time I'm running fine in stock form with the exception of the Esc which I explain above (11.00 dollars if I rem correctly) ........
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 02:00 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Hondajet's Avatar
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Thanks for the info.

Jim
Well the Art Tech Manual gives 35 gms/dm2 whatever that means?

is that better or worse that my measurement of 33 as calculated by H14....

HJ
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 02:05 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Hondajet's Avatar
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Fear not .... I think you will change your mind ..... it's a fine looking classic glider that I'm sure will be good for thermaling ....... if you don't have any lift then get her up to altitude ..... set the throttle at a very low level, and you can stay up for an hour if you want .... no problem ....

Any changes you make in hardware terms in the future will be well worth it ...... rem it's a 99 dollar plane with 4 servo's ..... a motor ..... an Esc ..... I wont mind upgrading the electronic parts if and when necessay but in the mean time I'm running fine in stock form with the exception of the Esc which I explain above (11.00 dollars if I rem correctly) ........

I concur!!

The Design is just beautiful....and well worth it. The upgrades if you have to are just not an issue for the average modeler.

H 14 is right....get it up high and she will stay there for a long time....I am flying in cooler weather now....but I am confident she will soar in the right conditions. Anyway you have the inherent high and long endurance power in one minute runs to keep you up there for over an hour!

HJ
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 02:14 PM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondajet View Post
Well the Art Tech Manual gives 35 gms/dm2 whatever that means?

is that better or worse that my measurement of 33 as calculated by H14....

HJ
I believe the 33 gr/dm2 would be slightly lighter wingloading. I'm trying to get a feel for the thermal speed compared to the radian.

If anyone has flown both the radian and the minimoa, I'd like to hear your subjective comments on how they compare in thermal and when hunting (flying in sink).

Also looking forward to checking out the slow thermal turns with the minimoa's wing shape. How much flatter can you turn as compared to an RE plane? and compared to a flat wing REA plane?

Thanks,

Jim
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:08 PM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondajet View Post
Well the Art Tech Manual gives 35 gms/dm2 whatever that means?

is that better or worse that my measurement of 33 as calculated by H14....

HJ
it's the same number effectively ..... to be exact 6 percent higher loading than my calculation ...... lipo vendor/weight could explain that variation but it's not important ....

A typical IC engined plane may well be flying at three times that wing loading ..... say 100gms/dm2 or more ......

A simple powered glider type plane like the Multiplex Easystar might be around 20 gms/dm2 .......

ps. 1 oz/ft2 = 3.03 gms/dm2 ..... a usefull ratio to remember
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
Sic transit gloria
Rushmore Academy
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
At the above ratio , the radian has a 6.5 oz wingloading, the mini has a 11.5 oz loading, nearly twice the radian. In my understanding wingloading dictates how fast a plane must fly in order to achieve lift. This explains why radians at altitude can appear to float or hover and in the minimoa vid it flies quite fast. Does this mean that our minimoa is just as good of a sailplane/thermaller but must be flown twice as fast?

Also the art tech manual shows a 9.6v nicad, could this be the reason there are reports of over heating and nose weight being needed? Nicads are heavier right?
MAX FISCHER is offline Find More Posts by MAX FISCHER
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:06 PM
New to RC Flying
Jack_Chen's Avatar
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX FISCHER View Post
Also the art tech manual shows a 9.6v nicad, could this be the reason there are reports of over heating and nose weight being needed? Nicads are heavier right?
9.6V nicd are about 10 oz. or about 280g. a 2200 mAh 3S lipo is only about 190g. Can probably put in a 3000~3300mAh 3S instead of the nose weight.

The motor is covered by the spinner and does not have much airflow over it. Probably a bad idea to run it constantly and at full throttle. I guess you can handlaunch at 50% throttle and do a gentle climb to altitude before turning off and just glide/thermal.
Jack_Chen is offline Find More Posts by Jack_Chen
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:05 PM
Sic transit gloria
Rushmore Academy
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
Well my point is, is that the esc, motor, and prop are designed around a lower out put battery, 9.6v which packs less of a punch than a 11.1 v pack.
F it, maybe I'm outta my realm here....
MAX FISCHER is offline Find More Posts by MAX FISCHER
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:50 AM
Good Better Best quest.
olmod's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,364 Posts
My thoughts are just to fit smaller diameter graupner cam folder blades ,as this it seems is overpowered and suffers overheating just reduce the amps problem solved.
All said and done its not a supposed to be a hot multi ship.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:57 AM
Registered User
Michael.J.P's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Lang Lang
Joined Feb 2009
130 Posts
The pitch problems are due to the horizontal stab Incedence it is way out. I have to pack the leading edge up about 3mm to be able to get her to fly level under power.She is a floater as i fount with my first short flight,short due to the pitching problem while under power,also there is no down or right thrust set.

she is a very nice plane for the price and once the minor issues are sorted out ,should be very happy with it.

Michael
Michael.J.P is offline Find More Posts by Michael.J.P
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion A330 70mm fans 2metre span Glong-flyer Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 4 Dec 20, 2010 10:43 PM
Discussion Hobbyking PnP 33 in wingspan F4U Corsair Lilbanks96 Electric Warbirds 10 Dec 12, 2010 01:10 PM
New Product 3.9m WINGSPAN COMPOSITE UAV AIRPLANE READY FOR SALE FPVistanbul UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 20 Dec 04, 2010 08:58 PM
Wanted 2metre sailplane with everything KeithP Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 11 Mar 01, 2008 04:58 PM
Discussion Cyclone Elite 10 2metre Electric Glider Pants Electric Sailplanes 4 Feb 27, 2006 07:45 AM