HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2014, 09:36 PM
Johnny Rabuse
Joined Aug 2011
469 Posts
Me flying my Russian p40

http://https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202918034490335&set=vb.1187127108&ty pe=2&theater

feel free to send a friend request if you wish .... I would load the video better but I havnt figured out how to use this dand gizzmo
JohnnyCrash.NYC is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyCrash.NYC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JohnnyCrash.NYC; Feb 01, 2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: fix
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2014, 11:55 PM
United States, CO, Eagle
Joined Oct 2010
95 Posts
Nice flight
Gnfghtr is offline Find More Posts by Gnfghtr
Old Feb 02, 2014, 04:32 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,555 Posts
I don't have this model any-longer lost it with radio failure but you can also split the doors in a scale fashion , then link the two doors together by adding a small arm. Its an easy mod and both doors will still open and close with the activation of the retract gear leg.
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 02, 2014, 04:49 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,555 Posts
Some pics of the mods , there small because I copied them from the thread as they had been deleted
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:09 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
7,932 Posts
New retracts for the 1400mm Corsair and P-40
http://www.motionrc.com/fms-designed...400mm-corsair/
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:22 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
New retracts for the 1400mm Corsair and P-40
http://www.motionrc.com/fms-designed...400mm-corsair/
They will require a little trimming because the worm drive casing is wider than stock. Bolt pattern is the same. You will need the corsair replacement struts to make it work.
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:12 PM
United States, WY, Buffalo
Joined Apr 2005
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
They will require a little trimming because the worm drive casing is wider than stock. Bolt pattern is the same. You will need the corsair replacement struts to make it work.
Those look great! Will they fit the older version P40? Also can you tell me what is the proper amount of time to run a motor WOT to get an accurate reading on a watt meter?
raptor123 is offline Find More Posts by raptor123
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:46 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2008
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor123 View Post
Also can you tell me what is the proper amount of time to run a motor WOT to get an accurate reading on a watt meter?
I usually take it from the time it starts to settle... So peak watts will occur once you spool it up to full WOT and then decrease shortly after. You'll know when it settles as the amps will hover..

Don't run the motor too long at WOT.. Once the amps drop you'll know your reading and that's enough. The motor will heat up quickly as there's no airlflow and you run the risk of overheating it, cooked motor is disaster as magic smoke will come out.
I had it happen on an NTM prop drive 2826 1800kv motor on 4S, did three static tests and the third one killed it. It was over amped and it was my fault but I learnt it doesn't take much to cook a motor with no airlfow.

Remember that the reading is also a "static" test. The motor/prop unloads in the air so the reading will be a bit lower again when actually flying. I think there is a difference with different prop pitches in regards to unloading as well. Greater pitch may draw higher amps when in flight but don't quote me... I'm still new at this and I certainly don't proclaim to know it all.
Sed8ed is offline Find More Posts by Sed8ed
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:36 AM
United States, WY, Buffalo
Joined Apr 2005
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sed8ed View Post
I usually take it from the time it starts to settle... So peak watts will occur once you spool it up to full WOT and then decrease shortly after. You'll know when it settles as the amps will hover..

Don't run the motor too long at WOT.. Once the amps drop you'll know your reading and that's enough. The motor will heat up quickly as there's no airlflow and you run the risk of overheating it, cooked motor is disaster as magic smoke will come out.
I had it happen on an NTM prop drive 2826 1800kv motor on 4S, did three static tests and the third one killed it. It was over amped and it was my fault but I learnt it doesn't take much to cook a motor with no airlfow.

Remember that the reading is also a "static" test. The motor/prop unloads in the air so the reading will be a bit lower again when actually flying. I think there is a difference with different prop pitches in regards to unloading as well. Greater pitch may draw higher amps when in flight but don't quote me... I'm still new at this and I certainly don't proclaim to know it all.
Thanks for the info. My watt meter actually locks in the highest readings. So I guess with my running it for about 5 seconds or so I'm okay. I did notice a variance with the same prop if my battery wasn't at full charge. Guess that makes sense though. I'm looking to upgrade my motor and wanted to get the right prop.
raptor123 is offline Find More Posts by raptor123
Old Mar 01, 2014, 10:18 PM
United States, PA
Joined Nov 2012
75 Posts
These are on my upgrade list. Second flight of my second P-40 one side folded on landing, thinking the worm gear snapped like on my first plane I was about to write it off but when I tried to extend it by hand It made a click and locked into place, works fine now. Guess I got lucky.
Eflyer 1 is offline Find More Posts by Eflyer 1
Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:52 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor123 View Post
Thanks for the info. My watt meter actually locks in the highest readings. So I guess with my running it for about 5 seconds or so I'm okay. I did notice a variance with the same prop if my battery wasn't at full charge. Guess that makes sense though. I'm looking to upgrade my motor and wanted to get the right prop.
That's what I've always done. You'll get the peak draw static and know that it will be less airborne so as long as your setup can handle the static sraw your fine. Most people advise overkill on the ESC for safety sake. For example; plane draws 38 Amps static you'd need a 50 amp ESC. IMO that 38 will be closer to 35 or lower in the air and I rarely fly full throttle so I have no problem using a 40 Amp ESC in this scenario. They are all rated for more burst amperage anyway.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Apr 21, 2014, 03:28 AM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,674 Posts
G'day Gents,
I put Cleopatra III up for a flight late this arvo. It has been a while, but she flew exceptionally well.
Great fun flight, with standard loops, rolls, low passes followed by a very nice greaser. Gotta love having flaps on this model.

Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Foam Model Stand