New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2015, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,337 Posts
You might also try some sharp blows with a hammer against the wood near the glue joint, if you can get to it. I've had some good luck with that sometimes. Then go back to do the detail work on what's left.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2015, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Not Funny......
Joined Dec 2010
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
You might also try some sharp blows with a hammer against the wood near the glue joint, if you can get to it. I've had some good luck with that sometimes. Then go back to do the detail work on what's left.
Yup, like Lee sez.....

If the plane was built long enough ago to have oil soaked formers then it is reasonable to assume that the glue used wasn't all that special for older poly resin fuselages unlike the more modern Hysol9462.

An easy way? Get a 1/2" to 3/4" wood dowel of workable length to reach the formers and then whack (OK, tap...) that with the hammer.
- Mike
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Jun 04, 2015, 08:52 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,337 Posts
Agreed, a dowel or other driver of some type will increase reach and accuracy of the "taps", "whacks", "bangs", "POW", SMACKS.........oh, that was Batman the series, lol
Old Jun 05, 2015, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by A6_Intruder
Joined Jun 2013
18 Posts
Guys,
Thanks for all the input, allot of good advice here! I will post some pictures today so you can actually see what I am up against.
Kinda like a surgeon getting ready for a procedure I want to have this figured out before and attempt the process so I do not kill the patient.
Hey, maybe I should ask Pdawg for help.
A6_Intruder is offline Find More Posts by A6_Intruder
Old Jun 05, 2015, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by bigjohn
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
793 Posts
Man, I have a one-of-a-kind U-2 kit that I bought after someone started it.

He cut the 1/4" ply former himself, and I can tell by the cut line he never was able to color between the lines as a kid. It was then installed by the super-goop method to make up for the gaps, etc. Been thinking for years how to get that out. Was even considering soaking the whole thing in a barrel full of water.

Thanks for the suggestions here.
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Jun 06, 2015, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by A6_Intruder
Joined Jun 2013
18 Posts
Byron F18 Brotherhood

Here are a few pic,s not really showing allot though.
Randy
A6_Intruder is offline Find More Posts by A6_Intruder
Old Jun 06, 2015, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by jetjock50
United States, SC, Florence
Joined Nov 2004
195 Posts
cutting the formers

I think the idea of cutting the formers into sections with a dremel and a cutoff wheel sounds like it would be helpful then carefully working the pieces loose. I do have a template for the fan /landing gear former if you need it after you remove that one, may have one for stabilator servo mount as well as I did use them in mine. As I made a new former for the Jet Legend ballbearing stab/servo mounts.
Roger
jetjock50 is offline Find More Posts by jetjock50
Old Jun 06, 2015, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by Lt599
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
706 Posts
On my Byron F16 fuse I used my vibrating saw (not sure what the official name is) with the rectangular blade. I was able to cut along the epoxy separating the old formers from the fuse then ground the remaining epoxy out with dremel tool.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Jun 06, 2015, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by skyhawk
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,720 Posts
You need to be really careful though. If it was built like it should have been - glassed with polyester resin, then the glass will not come easily. I've done all my Byrons that way and they get stuck good. The former looks like it has a good bond.

You may be better off scoring the glass with a sharp knife to weaken the joint or you may have to grind them out.

The formers dont really look that bad - it might be better to just leave them alone.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Jun 06, 2015, 06:10 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,337 Posts
I have to agree that the formers and joints look good from here. I'd hate to try to remove those. Forget my suggestion of just knocking them loose. I'd leave them anywhere that I could, spend the time and effort on other things.
Old Jun 06, 2015, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by buckaroo
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
On my Byron F16 fuse I used my vibrating saw (not sure what the official name is) with the rectangular blade.
That's quite a nifty little tool. We use them all the time when working. We call them "bone" saw's as that was the original purpose for them before they made their way to the construction industry. Surgeons used them when they needed to cut skulls open. By the way the Fein model which are supposed to be the best one you can by, at $350 are not much better than the $39 ones at Harbor Freight, And definitely a must for the model shop.

Dean
buckaroo is online now Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Jun 07, 2015, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Lt599
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
That's quite a nifty little tool. We use them all the time when working. We call them "bone" saw's as that was the original purpose for them before they made their way to the construction industry. Surgeons used them when they needed to cut skulls open. By the way the Fein model which are supposed to be the best one you can by, at $350 are not much better than the $39 ones at Harbor Freight, And definitely a must for the model shop.

Dean
Very true, I use mine all the time I have attended a number of autopsies and the saw used to remove the scull cap is basically the same thing. With all the different attachments they make for them they are invaluable in the shop.

Greg
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Jun 07, 2015, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
671 Posts
I love it, not sure what the actual name of it is, but they are great.

I like the idea of a dowel and hammer too, will have to try that next time around, but yours looks pretty solid.
70 ragtop is online now Find More Posts by 70 ragtop