Old May 23, 2015, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by No Step
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2003
4,132 Posts
Build Log
93" Super Sinbad,....motorgilider

I got this partial kit from E-bay. It's an enlarged version of Bill Effinger's Super Sinbad towline glider, that was kited by Berkley Models at one time.

93"ws , up from the original 62"ws
10.3" wing chord
947 sq inches

Showing no loyalty to conformity, I'm planning on doing some modifications for fun. That's why I'm not putting this build thread in the Vintage forum. I will be adding an electric motor, and ailerons. I do not do towline anymore, or hi-starts. An electric motor is my preferred choice of getting up there.
But what's with the ailerons???? Well, it's a judgement call on my part. The enlarged partial kit is a two piece wing (OK, good). But the plans show a pretty short (straight tube) joiner at the center section due to the large amount of dihedral. I didn't like it, so I'll reduce the dihedral a "good amount" (eye-balled when I build the wing) to use a longer joiner. It might not turn well with the reduced dihedral so I'll add ailerons. I'm OK with that, doesn't bother me a bit.
So, any other mods?,.... well, maybe. I was thinking of a sheeted area on the fuselage, at the CG, to provide a better handhold when launching. There's a lot of open structure there. Also a battery hatch of some sort, probably incorporating the windshield. I'm still thinking about both those mods. Im a big fan of landing aids,.... flaps, spoilers, etc. Fear not, none are planned for this model
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2015, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by franciscan
Devon,UK
Joined Nov 2002
280 Posts
motorised Simbad

I will be watching this one with interest as I have been thinking of motorising my K8. I have a plan and canopy.
franciscan is offline Find More Posts by franciscan
Old May 24, 2015, 01:16 AM
Find More Posts by harborflyer
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
544 Posts
Watching !
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old May 24, 2015, 11:16 AM
Joined May 2003
4,132 Posts
This is going to work out real good. Shown below is a 2 1/4" Dubro spinner, which seems about right. Maybe I could even use a 2 1/2" spinner. I might sketch that out too, later. It'll probably have to be a non-folding prop, unless I can find a spinner with a yoke long enough to handle the distance required,.... doubtful. Besides, "unfolding" with those large fuselage sides would more than likely be problematic. Also shown is an older Axi 28 series motor. It'd be overkill I think, but it looks good in the picture. It shows anything will fit. I make my firewalls a little deeper than exact, and just shim with nylon standoffs. I have had good success with hollowed out, carved balsa cowls that I fiberglass and paint. It works good if full nose access is not needed. With a large spinner like this, I'll have great access to the motor mount screws, so maybe I'll go that route. I've glued up the fuselage keel and vertical fin outline.... just killing time waiting for wood. My scrap box didn't quite have what I needed. I can wait another couple days.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; May 24, 2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old May 24, 2015, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by owlsabie
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
3,374 Posts
Great project Fred! Built a small one once, and really enjoyed it. These are very pretty gliders

Al
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old May 24, 2015, 02:35 PM
Joined May 2003
4,132 Posts
Hi Al! Glad you found my thread. I think you'v e hit everyone of my builds over the years. Thanks.

Looking at drawings,.... that skid (to protect the tow hook), as drawn, has got to go since I won't have the tow hook on my model. There's a 3/16 x 3/4 balsa runner along the bottom. I'll probably inlay it with 1/16" ply or replace that balsa runner with a spruce or basswood piece the same size, back to just aft of the former towhees location.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2015, 02:45 PM
Joined May 2003
4,132 Posts
Btw, two of my flying friends have bought this same partial kit and will start theirs soon. I hope they pop in here and let us know when they start their's and keep us posted as to their progress. I think they are building theirs as pure gliders.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2015, 03:17 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
3,374 Posts
What can I say Fred? I enjoy following your threads
Old May 24, 2015, 07:40 PM
Joined May 2003
4,132 Posts
Well, thank you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2015, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by MicroRotors
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,927 Posts
Sweet, ... I'm glad to see someone is building it. I also bought one on eBay a few months back, ... but life keeps getting in the way.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one, ...

Regards
Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old May 25, 2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by jjscott
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
454 Posts
Would you comment more about the fixed vs. folding prop? I understand the principle. But what kind of bad things happen when the motor starts with the prop folded - just hits for a second or tears things up trying to open? Is any type of rub bumper feasible?

Jim
jjscott is online now Find More Posts by jjscott
Old May 25, 2015, 12:10 PM
Joined May 2003
4,132 Posts
Yeah, that's a pretty large side cross section for the blade to clear when unfolding, specifically the lower/side, below & aft of the spinner. It's one of those things that you would >have< to try and see. Maybe a programed (slow) power up curve would help it "around". I think a normal power up would carve up the fuselage instantly. Maybe you could fashion some sort of wire "guide" to also help it around. But that might be pretty ugly looking.

I have a double size Comet Sparky that years ago, I had to make a yoke for so I could have a folding prop. http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/sparky.htm It worked, but it was unbalanced, a hack job (no mill to make a nice one). Now I see >some< large yokes are available at Esprit Hobby, but it looks like they are for 8mm shafts which I won't have. I'm rambling,.... back to the Sparky,... I went to a fixed prop and it was just fine. I have lived with it for years now and am happy. It really didn't hurt performance all that much. So I think I can live with a non folding prop on the Sinbad. BUT, now that I see some large yokes are available, I might consider the folder again . But that still doesn't solve the deep fuselage cross section. Which I'm assuming will prevent un-folding, smoothly. Something I will have to investigate further.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2015, 11:40 PM
Joined May 2003
4,132 Posts
Good news / Bad news

Good news,.... I got my wood today. I can forge on.
Bad news,... We are trying to buy a "new " house as of yesterday, so things might go slow. But I hope to continue on, but at, more than likely, a slower pace.
Yay - Boo!

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2015, 12:11 AM
Joined May 2003
4,132 Posts
I got a start on the fuselage crutch. Be aware, these are hand drawn plans, and enlarged. I found that if I followed the plans exactly the longhorns were not symmetrical. The ol'eyeball test worked. It just didn't look right. I measured from centerline to one side and duplicated it on the opposite side and the plans were "off". These are plans from the 50's-60's,... not necessarily perfect, especially when enlarged . No problem, just be aware.
I made my cut for the new firewall, gulp! It looks right. I hope it's right
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; May 29, 2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old May 29, 2015, 05:25 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
3,374 Posts
That brings back memories. I built mine when building was still new to me, and trusted the plans. The shape was a bit off....... But she flew ok