Nov 20, 2011, 06:47 PM
Hi Ian

Two M5 nylon bolts in the wings, two dowels in the front, so one of each per wing half.

I also have a thin strap on underneath the bolt heads to kill a slight tendancy for the two halves to seperate due to the flexability of the bolts. Probably not necessary but it costs nothing. See detail attached.

I did fly it today (Sunday 20/11/11); despite the misty conditions we had a few bright spells. No problems what so ever - flew with statley grace and elegance. I'm really looking foward to the better weather and some nice long summer evenings!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2011, 01:06 AM
Thread OP
Doctor G, Thanks for the prompt response and photo. I think I'll plan on doing something similar as I really don't want to do the rubber band thing on this one. It looks so much more cleaner without them. Finally got back to working on mine tonight. I got the bottom spars layed out and the ribs glued in place. I already have one wing built so we're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Nov 21, 2011, 05:56 AM
The other thing to watch is the transfer of the weight through the fuselage. VC Braddock suggests cyno carbon tows to strengthen the cabin frame. I made the top cabin frame verticals wider and then extended them down to the bottom the the fuselage. The ogrinal has the cabin verticals as 3/8 sq 'butted' onto the stringer and then angled in slightly. I cut from 3/8 sheet a section something like the attached picture. The top angle forms the cabin strut and the lower part extends down into the main fuse. Probaly clear as mud!
Nov 21, 2011, 03:15 PM
A couple of pics from Sunday 21st November 2011 - maiden flight.
Nov 22, 2011, 01:47 AM
Thread OP
I put the carbon tow around the cabin frame and wrapped it around the fuselage before sheeting it.
Doctor G -I love the colour scheme on yours - it looks great. I'll be covering mine with Dacron. I used it on my 9' span Willis. Painted with Krylon paint for plastics it was nice and fuel proof too.
Nov 22, 2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorG View Post
A couple of pics from Sunday 21st November 2011 - maiden flight.
Beautiful build, congratulations on the successful flight. Welcome to RCGroups.

DoctorG, Do you have any photos of your construction process? We would all love to see more.

Thanks,
Nov 22, 2011, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmettoflyer View Post
Beautiful build, congratulations on the successful flight. Welcome to RCGroups.

DoctorG, Do you have any photos of your construction process? We would all love to see more.

Thanks,
Hi Thanks. I do have a few construction pics but they don't show any more than the ones you have posted on page 5. They are much more comprehensive than anything I have.

For the record the finish is Solartex with Spectrum Fuel Proof paint hand brushed on the fuse. and spray acrylic on wings and tail feathers. The later then given a coat of Ronseal Quick Drying exterior varnish. This is not 'hot' fuel proof but good enough on areas that only get an occasional smear of oil.

Decals are inkjet printed onto self adhesive vinyl and then Clearcoat.

If anybody wants any specfic pics of particular areas let me know and I'll try and oblige.

For those interested there are a few more vintage models on display at the club amongst the galleries shown here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/106306849172963717509

We have quite a strong vintage section in the club (members as well as models )
Nov 22, 2011, 03:53 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Nice one Doc!
sparks
Nov 24, 2011, 05:02 PM
Hi DoctorG

I'm also building one of these and have started on the wings. I notice from one of your flying photos that you've sheeted the wing all the way to tip on the underside. Did you sheet the top of wing to the tip as well ? Both the KK and Ben Buckle plans have missing dotted lines and do not make it clear what should happen at the tip.
Nov 27, 2011, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalsaBasher View Post
Hi DoctorG

I'm also building one of these and have started on the wings. I notice from one of your flying photos that you've sheeted the wing all the way to tip on the underside. Did you sheet the top of wing to the tip as well ? Both the KK and Ben Buckle plans have missing dotted lines and do not make it clear what should happen at the tip.
Hi Balsa Basher (nice!)

I sheeted top and bottom to the same outline as I figured it would help keep the covering neatly in place. If you haven't already done it go carefully around the top LE where you get a relatively large curvature in two planes. I ended up with split sheeting on one and had to redo it. I found the trick is to be prepared to cut thin wedges out of the sheet as you offer it up to the curve. Once you are happy with the curve the sheet will take up throw tradition out of the window and apply the cyano!
Nov 27, 2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorG View Post
Hi Balsa Basher (nice!)

I sheeted top and bottom to the same outline as I figured it would help keep the covering neatly in place. If you haven't already done it go carefully around the top LE where you get a relatively large curvature in two planes. I ended up with split sheeting on one and had to redo it. I found the trick is to be prepared to cut thin wedges out of the sheet as you offer it up to the curve. Once you are happy with the curve the sheet will take up throw tradition out of the window and apply the cyano!
Thanks for the advice I also ended up cutting a thin wedge out of the top leading edge sheeting. I reinforced the area underneath by sticking a piece of sheeting across the cut. I am going to extend the sheeting on the underside all the way to wing tip as it is nearly flat and will strengthen the tip. I may just add some block on the top to extend both spars to the tip.

I'm going to put in an ASP 80FS.
Nov 28, 2011, 05:29 AM
"I'm going to put in an ASP 80FS. "

You will need down thrust with that for sure. It will also lift off on tick over I reackon!
Nov 28, 2011, 07:29 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
As you're discussing engines... I have a question.
One of these days I'm going to start my BB Falcon kit, which I suppose will appear here as a "build log". However, I'm a long-time engine collector who uses and runs his engines. This means that I have a choice of virtually any feasible authentic engine. I don't want to go to spark ignition as I've never actually flown spark. So the choice comes down to old .60 glow engines, e.g. Ohlsson or Micron (super) but without a throttle, or a Laser, (62 or 75, the most convenient, but "modern") or a Taplin Twin...
OK, so now we get to the question... my choice, without doubt would be the Taplin, but I'm wondering whether it might be a bit marginal on power. Many years ago, a couple of knowledgeable English vintage modellers told me "No problem, the TT would fly a Falcon easily" but, with all that building at stake, I want to be sure. My TTs run superbly but, to state the obvious, the alternate firing means that they sound like they're doing 12k rpm when it's actually only 6!
So, has Doc G or anyone else ever actually seen a Taplin Twin powered Falcon fly well on 3-channel RC (not FF)?
Brian
Nov 28, 2011, 06:12 PM
Nope! I've got nothing to compare with either, as I have no idea what a Taplin puts out. Sorry.
Nov 29, 2011, 02:47 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
No direct experience to quote Brian, but I am constantly amazed at how little power vintage models seem to need to fly well (OK, I am talking electrics here). Also there is a thread hereabouts showing a Taplin Twin flying a Smog Hog in a very spirited manner - now I know the Hog is much smaller than the Falcon but it is a pretty chunky model and not such a "floater" as the Falcon. So my gut feeling would be - yes, the Taplin would probably fly the Falcon in a reasonable, albeit genteel, manner. And it would look really good perched on the front!

Quick Reply