SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:01 AM
Joined Oct 2008
6 Posts
Discussion
GC Anniversary Cub w/Power46?

I am a total noob and this is my first build so be kind. I've lurking and searching but I haven't been able to find answers on this specific plane/power combo.

I bought a GC Anniversary Cub which is coming along nicely so far. I've decided that I don't want to mess with gas and go electric instead. Based on what I've read so far, I've bought an Eflite power 46 motor and an Eflite 60-amp ESC. Initially I was thinking lipos for the batteries. But the cost is a bit of turn-off and after looking through the lipos really do burn thread I want nothing to do with them. So now I'm thinking about going the A123 route.

I'm looking for any advice I can get. Is the Eflite 60-amp ESC ok or should I be looking at something else? If I go with A123 packs, what configuration might work well for this motor in this plane? Or shoiuld I consider something else for batteries? And what about props?
Joe Gremlin is offline Find More Posts by Joe Gremlin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:15 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Since its a .40 size plane... a power 46 would work fine.

I advise moving the firewall forward to reduce the stand-off length needed and to allow the battery to be placed further forward, which can aid in getting the correct CG.

A123 would be fine.
(or the 5S2P 2400 mah LiFePO4 in the Ryobe 18 v packs... appx $100. Same chemistry as A123... but slightly different cells)

4S LiPo would give appx equiv power to a .46. 5S A123 is about the same voltage.

Note that LiPos are only as dangerous as the person using them makes them...

Some "LiPo fires" may actually have started in the ESC. (more likely to burn than the LiPo)

Size the LiPo pack aiming at 12 to 15 min flight times and keep the packs ballanced. Then just a little bit of care is going to be enough to not have to worry about the plane )or house) going up in flames.

When NiCds first came out there were people having fires and exploding batteries... We learned how to be reasonably safe with NiCds.... same rules applied to NiMh. But occasionally someone still manages to blow a NiCd up.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Last edited by fhhuber506771; Oct 17, 2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 05:40 PM
Joined Oct 2008
6 Posts
Very good advice. I never tought of moving the firewall forward. That's an excellent idea. Unfortunately I've already epoxied it in place. Perhaps I can dremel it out and fabricate a new one though. I'll have to give it some thought.
Joe Gremlin is offline Find More Posts by Joe Gremlin
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:58 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gremlin
Very good advice. I never tought of moving the firewall forward. That's an excellent idea. Unfortunately I've already epoxied it in place. Perhaps I can dremel it out and fabricate a new one though. I'll have to give it some thought.
Once its in... if its well installed... you are better off just using appropriate stand offs. Its not worth the work involved to rip the firewall out.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771