HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:07 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Discussion
Colorado - The Western Slope

The Continental Divide slices through the state, and those of us on this side live on what's commonly called the Western Slope -- especially those of us far enough out of the mountains to not live in what's commonly called "the mountains". Out here, it tends to be a bit less populated, the low country is drier and more desert-like, there's a huge amount of public land, and there are numerous slopes and potential slopes. Whoever decided to call this side of the state the Western Slope probably didn't have any idea of just how apropos the term is.

I'm not sure we need our own thread out here in the hinterlands. But maybe we do. Maybe we'll get together and fly a bit more often at some of the brilliant sites we have available. And maybe we'll encourage folks passing through to join up for some of the fun. In any case, lets try it out and see if the dozen or so of us on the west side of the continental divide have anything to talk about. I know I never feel quite right busting into the Colorado Front Range thread to blab about my day of flying.

EVENT!

To get things kicked off in a good way, I'm proposing a casual gathering of Western Slopers (or anyone else) on the weekend of October 7th and 8th, 2006. Last year about that time we had brilliant fall colors and huge lift at Lands End. We can hope for the same, and also keep nearby Reeder Mesa and Whitewater Hill and even Flat Top in mind in case the wind is off angle. Camping would be entirely optional, but if I camp, it'd probably be near Reeder, where it'd be lower and warmer.

Any interest? No need to commit. But let's see if we can stir up some interest and do some flying in the Big Air. (I know Arbo's hot to fly his Thorn, and I need a kick to get mine done...)

RESOURCES:

I have a thread with all the sites I know of near Grand Junction here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446198

Colorado Gliders:
http://www.coloradogliders.com/

My fun pic and vid website:
http://www.lavawing.com

Anything else?
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:27 PM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
Sure you deserve your own thread. And doesn't it just figure that it is someone from the right side of the hills that would reply to it first.

But, in the effort to be somewhat on-topic, Betsy and I will be passing through that way headed to points west on a seed-collecting trip Sept. 28 - Oct. 01. We need to head up toward Glade Park and out toward Price, Utah. We'll most likely be traveling in the motorhome (this time it's a business trip) so we like to find some nice out-of-the-way places to set up for the days or nights activities. We can probably swing some fly-time in there as well. I always pack a few planes along on these trips.

Hope to run into youze all left-slopers!
TomO is offline Find More Posts by TomO
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:11 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
Nice work GREG!!! Ecellent Pics as ALWAYS!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:26 AM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
That settles it - pack the bags, I'm moving.

I just got into sloping this summer, and have learned quickly how frustrating sloping can be in the northeast. Then again, we do have a pretty cool ocean.
merlinmurph is offline Find More Posts by merlinmurph
Old Sep 13, 2006, 03:44 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,463 Posts
I'm in for Oct 7th. Gotta be there.
I live in Paonia, CO, about 30 miles uphill east of Delta. I have a bunch of good to great flying sites near here, one exceptional slope on the Gunnison River that's great for SE, NE or E winds; that's the wind that happens here every day from dawn til about 11 AM. I call the place Morning Glory, 'cause that's what it is. I'll take the camera out and get some better pictures on here pretty quick. Here's a few...
Mike Furcolow is online now Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Old Sep 13, 2006, 04:07 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,463 Posts
And a link to TopoZone picture of Morning Glory Hill;
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...ad27&layer=DRG
Old Sep 13, 2006, 04:52 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Oct 2004
502 Posts
I'm really interested in going. Right now the only slopie I have is an M60 any suggestions on something else to bring for flying? Also since I'm here in Eastern , Southern Arizona, is there a any place to camp?

TreeFlyer is online now Find More Posts by TreeFlyer
Old Sep 14, 2006, 01:06 AM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Dang Mike! That site looks great! I'll look forward to doing some flying with you on the 7-8th.

Safford: Plenty of camping! Especially if you bring everything you need. There are "official" camp sites with tables and fire pits and stuff not too far away, but the best is camping "rough" right near The Edge. M60 should a great choice for "only" one plane. It should get you through all but the lightest lift, and ballast up for the big air. Bring it and join us! You could do well with almost anything else. Something really light and thermally. Or something phat, stubby and heavy. Personally, I'm hoping we can get multiple Thorns going at once. Crunchy things might go crunch, but some of the guys have flown them at some of these sites with no problem. (I'm specifically thinking of The Canuk, who did well with them during our last gathering on Lands End. Or... maybe he just got lucky.)

High clearance vehicle might help, but I'll probably be in a little (rental) car, maybe with my mountain bike as "high clearance" runabout.

--Greg
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:28 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
I'd head over to National Car Rental at the Montrose airport for that rental. I had asked for a mid-sized car when we drove the motorhome out to the WCSC, and wound up with an H-3 for $25 a day! H3's were the only vehicle they had.

It only felt a little strange asking the girl at the rental counter if she was sure she wanted to give me Hummer for 25 bucks.
TomO is offline Find More Posts by TomO
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Sounds good to me. We should have the big good wind up there by then. And yeah, gotta fly the Thorn some more.

Mike, was it you that went over and talked to the other guys that were up there flying last time we were up there? If so, did you get names? We should try and round them up as well.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:39 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,212 Posts
I must break away from the front range sometime soon to go out and fly with Mike F.
this could be it!!!! Well I hope to make it this time,,oh and Mike there is a sept 23rd
F3F at wilson lake if ya wanna go??? it seems to be a long way to wilson for you now that your on the west side,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:43 PM
Grand Junction
Joined Oct 2004
30 Posts
Not sure I am doing this right!

This is my first post on RC Groups. I have been flying with Greg and Donnie in Grand Junction. I have been reading all these threads for some time now and figured it was time for me to chime in.

I have been having a wonderful time flying slope. My small plane collection is slowly growing every month.

I am going to try for October 7/8.

O ya my name is Paul...yes another Paul
POB427 is offline Find More Posts by POB427
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:45 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,463 Posts
I would love to go to Wilson Lake F3F again; I'll see if I can work it out. May be going grouse hunting in Montana, though. I'll keep you posted.
Come on over anytime, I've got some kind of wind and every kind of slope for most any day. Sometimes a floater, sometimes a rocket....
Maybe stay at the house a few days before and/or after the Oct 7 event...

More pictures of Morning Glory Hill near Delta;
Last edited by Mike Furcolow; Sep 14, 2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:41 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Furcolow
I would love to go to Wilson Lake F3F again; I'll see if I can work it out. May be going grouse hunting in Montana, though. I'll keep you posted.
Come on over anytime, I've got some kind of wind and every kind of slope for most any day. Sometimes a floater, sometimes a rocket....
Maybe stay at the house a few days before and/or after the Oct 7 event...

More pictures of Morning Glory Hill near Delta;
Cool I'll call ya some time next Week to see if ya can make the F3F

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:52 AM
Boulder, Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
599 Posts
Greg,

I'm definitely interested. I've been wanting to check out the flying on "the other side" all summer. You guys have some of the most beautiful sites I've seen, at least in the photos.

Andy
SeaBass is offline Find More Posts by SeaBass