SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:03 AM
Joined Dec 2005
12 Posts
Discussion
Help me decide

Hey Everybody -

Well, I've been selling my old stuff (non-R/C) on Ebay of late and I've accumulated about $500. So, now the fun part; I'm gonna spend that on R/C stuff!!

Anyway, I have an electric Duck and I'm thinking of going lipo on it but that'll cost be about $300 or so for the orion lipo battery and their charger. I want more speed and that seems a good upgrade. The other option is getting a nitro bike and just going for the speed and sound. Any nitro bikes (new) out there to be had without radio for around $300??

What's a guy to do!? Let me know your opinions. Thanks!
emu67 is offline Find More Posts by emu67
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:05 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2005
218 Posts
Brushless combos seem to make the electric bikes really fly. Just do a 'search' and you will find answers to your questions. One question would be how deep is your wallet?
SAL45 is offline Find More Posts by SAL45
Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:56 AM
Any thing nitro
NORTHRIDGE CA
Joined Jan 2006
1,186 Posts
The electrics seem to be faster (with novak brushless) than nitro corner to corner and on the straight with good nimh batteries,nitro has to deal with the powerband and clutch engagement,brushed or brushless has smooth instant power so there really two different beasts, I prefer nitro the sound,smell,power(2 stroke)smoke! ahhhhh I love nitro,But electrics are cool to. I run a TTN and I like it, I haven't raced any NFs or Bergo,s (nitro)
just some tt electrics and I think a Nouva electric and other ttn's and so far so good, one local is really quick (speed e)I think he has a nouva electric The only problem I see with theTTN is not enough lean angle,but it is still alot of fun!

The TTN rtr is like $350.00
Did that help lol!!!
HOT ROD LOCAL is offline Find More Posts by HOT ROD LOCAL
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:43 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu67
anyway, I have an electric Duck
a electric duck with lipos! i bet thatd shift on my local pond
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:48 AM
Joined Dec 2005
717 Posts
do you have someone to race with?

if don't and just wanna ride and have some fun, go for the nitro absolutely.

(V)ax
(V)aximus is offline Find More Posts by (V)aximus
Old Jan 24, 2006, 06:44 AM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Brushless or nitro, either way would be faster (= more fun) than your stock Duc.

I haven't seen any new nitro bikes for $300, but you can get a nice Novak b/l setup for that.
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:06 AM
Danbury, CT
Joined Jun 2005
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycbr123
Brushless or nitro, either way would be faster (= more fun) than your stock Duc.

I haven't seen any new nitro bikes for $300, but you can get a nice Novak b/l setup for that.
novak just came ou with the 4.5 should really make the bike scream(if the tire doesnt peal form the rim first!)
^jynx^ is offline Find More Posts by ^jynx^
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:11 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
[QUOTE=HOT ROD LOCAL]The electrics seem to be faster (with novak brushless) than nitro corner to corner and on the straight with good nimh batteries,nitro.
So far i haven't seen not one eletric bike beat a nitro in the straights.I'll give electrics this they are easier to drive and more forgiving.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:45 AM
New Jersey
Joined Mar 2004
197 Posts
I have found that my nitro ducati is easier to drive than my old electric fm1e..Maybe its just me but the bike seems more stable..
Ratpower396 is offline Find More Posts by Ratpower396
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:11 AM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,674 Posts
I have found that nitro bikes are smoother in and out of turns.. probably because of the lack of low end torque... there's nothing to squirt your bike out from under you like a high powered electric... once nitro bikes get on the pipe they can be very fast.... but Swheels... look at the bikes you are running... rear exhaust nitro monsters with .18-.21 motors in them .... I think that a properly set up brushless electric, will walk a properly setup .12-sized nitro bike for short to medium distances.... it's hard to measure because you can't really do a standing start with these bikes unless you have a starting box with long 2x4 rails to keep the bike up until it gets some speed

at the Nationals, the fastest Nitro bike averaged 18.71mph while the fastest electric (brushed) averaged 18.99mph... and on average the electric bikes were faster as they were all within 1mph of each other while after that first nitro, the rest of the nitro bikes dropped by 2+mph....

Either way you can be really happy... I think they sell the TTN without electronics overseas for around $300... but you are going to want to upgrade the motor right away if you want speed.... your best bet is to stick with the bike you've got and get a brushless setup... there are plently of setups for under $300.. the Novak 5.5 and 6.5 are like $239 complete, and the 8.5 is $209 and you can use regular 6-cell NiMh batts
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2