HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:16 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
Discussion
learning the signs of the wing

so after a few searches, i haven't found much information on "reading the air" with a flying wing.
having a few flights on my Z1, i can get an idea when i come into a thermal but its quite different than a normal thermal ship. i did get quite a good thermal earlier today, to at least twice the height than when i shut off the motor

i still have yet to cut in my flaps, and am anxious to try out small deflections for thermalling as well as large ones for shorter landings.

so what tips and signs do you guys have?
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2014, 01:06 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
please guys, i want to learn to thermal a wing and know when its in a thermal so i can get better for competition. i know someone here has some insight into this subject
Old Jun 21, 2014, 06:26 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,851 Posts
I can't come up with any reason why your flying wing would show signs of a thermal any differently than a conventional glider. The guys over in the sailplane thermal forum will of course talk your ears off on this topic.

My method to detect a thermal is to simply pull back on the stick. If your flying through lift, it will go up, if not, it will stall.
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2014, 01:46 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
because i haven't done much thermal flying other than some hand launch, i was unsure of how tailless craft react passing thermals, and being that there is no skinny fuselage to change attitude when in one its more difficult to recognize.

thanks for the tips, i will keep practicing and i'm sure i will get the hang of it. its just nice to hear from people with experience thermal flying wings

i still have yet to cut in the flaps, so in the mean time i have just been using a few clicks of up trim to slow it down a little while searching.
its nice to get 30+ minute flights with 5-6 motor runs on one pack
Old Jun 22, 2014, 07:47 AM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,171 Posts
Follow gliders with skinny fuselages Also Birds, clouds of insects, and trash can mark thermals. Polarizing sunglasses help too.
nmasters is offline Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Jun 22, 2014, 06:34 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,851 Posts
Some times I'll look for a wing to bump, forcing a turn. When this happens, the lift is on the side of the plane that got knock up, so turn into that wing and circle.
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member