SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2014, 04:32 AM
Joined Sep 2010
152 Posts
Discussion
Jet Ranger 700-size

Hello!
Need some information before I decide what to buy.
I am looking for a Jet Ranger in 700 size but what I can see when I check around there are different solutions for opening the fuse for battery changing and service.
And then....most important are the quality questions? See that some talk good about Fun Key fuselages. Which shop sells Fun Key to best price?

RCAerodyne have one also.....have seen some build videos on Youtube.

Soo.....I really appreciate if I could get some point of views from you guys

Br
Pelle57
Pelle57 is offline Find More Posts by Pelle57
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2014, 09:19 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
I don't know where you are so it is a bit difficult to say where a good place to buy is. I deal with a company on the west coast of Canada called Leisure Tech. They are the importer for Fun-Key products and easily serve the North American market. The Fun-Key line has a front canopy that comes off and allows you to mount batteries where ever you want or can. If you wanted to put the batteries in the chassis as they are in the pod and boom, then it is possible. If you want to put a small front cockpit in and mount the batteries further back, that is possible, too. However, the doors will not be able to operate because of where the canopy separates.

I had not really paid too much attention to the RCA kits until you posted this and have just a couple of comments. Yes, it has opening doors and it does look pretty good but that kit does have you install the chassis through the doghouse and by the looks of it, battery changes are done through the front doors. If you want an interior, you might find it a bit tough. On both helicopters, you can go to the smaller chassis of the 600 and that can buy you more room to work with on the inside. It may make the difference in mounting batteries for the RCA kit. There is not doubt that RCA has a better colour selection by far but I really like the quality of the Fun-Key kits and the overall presentation in the air.

I don't know this for a fact but, at least on the Fun-Key, you can flip the tail rotor onto the scale left side of the boom. I know that a fellow that, once in a blue moon, visits here and he does make really good scale landing gear for the Fun-Key Jet Rangers. He is mostly found on scalerchelis.com and his handle is JestRR. Look him up if you are wanting to get a really nice set of gear for the body. If there was one idea that I could give you, that would be to put a plywood floor in the body if it is similar to the 550 size. That makes a big difference in the strength of the chassis attachment. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Mar 02, 2014, 09:32 AM
Joined Sep 2010
152 Posts
Oh sorry....I didn't mentioned that, I live in Sweden. Soo, any shop I can find it will be long shipping way I think.
When I look around for the Fun Keys fuses I will only find www.jettechmodels.com and they seems to stay in HK.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 10:06 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
I can give you the email address of Leisure Tech. The owner's name is Phil and will answer very quickly. His business is Monday to Friday so you should see a reply sometime on Monday or Tuesday. He has a website but it is not setup to show stock or the ability to order off the site. Do let him know you are ordering from Sweden so he can work out what it might cost for shipping. Hope this helps. It is orders@leisuretech.ca

Don
Old Mar 03, 2014, 02:46 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
732 Posts
Try Jason..fun-key@163.com
justy g is offline Find More Posts by justy g
Old Mar 03, 2014, 03:50 PM
Joined Apr 2009
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I can give you the email address of Leisure Tech. The owner's name is Phil and will answer very quickly. His business is Monday to Friday so you should see a reply sometime on Monday or Tuesday. He has a website but it is not setup to show stock or the ability to order off the site. Do let him know you are ordering from Sweden so he can work out what it might cost for shipping. Hope this helps. It is orders@leisuretech.ca

Don
I have been getting all of my Funkey fuselages, blades and Rotor-Tech blades from Leisure-Tech in Canada for many years.
GyroMan is offline Find More Posts by GyroMan
Old Mar 03, 2014, 07:22 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
Just to let you know, the owners of Leisure Tech and Fun-Key are very good friends.

Don
Old Mar 03, 2014, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
152 Posts
Quote:

Don
Hii!
I wrote to him but haven't got any reply yet.
I also googled and found this shop www.jettechmodels.com
Does anyone know if they are good to buy from??

Br
Pell57
Old Mar 03, 2014, 11:32 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
Be patient as he is a fairly busy fellow.

Don
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:18 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle57 View Post
Hii!
I wrote to him but haven't got any reply yet.
I also googled and found this shop www.jettechmodels.com
Does anyone know if they are good to buy from??

Br
Pell57
Are you sure you are going to the right place? jettechmodels is not Phil's shop.

Did you e-mail him at?

orders@leisuretech.ca

If you sent the e-mail on a Saturday or Sunday, he would not answer as he is closed on weekends. But when I did, he always answered on Monday.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:50 PM
Joined Feb 2012
41 Posts
you can find them also in Germany
funkey.de
Scaleman01 is offline Find More Posts by Scaleman01
Old Mar 08, 2014, 12:18 PM
Joined Sep 2010
152 Posts
Motor + gear + LiPo setup

Hii!
I have ordered a Fun Key Jet Ranger in 700 size and have some questions about the setup.
I have a Align 600M motor I will run on 6S and can I use the straight main gear on 170T or is that gear to weak to swing 700mm blades?? Thought about 12T pinion.
It seems hard to get any reasonable HS with a slanted gear and this motor.
My esc are a YEP120.
What is the "best" HS for a Jet Ranger in 700 size?

Br
Pelle
Old Mar 08, 2014, 02:41 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
Pelle:

I would not go as low as the 12 as the material is very thin and can result in a shattered gear with a hard impact landing. Your motor shaft is most likely 6mm and that would suggest the best low tooth pinion would be the 13t. If you have a 5mm motor shaft, then it is entirely possible to put a 12t in place and run it with the 170t main gear. The issue that can happen is when you put the helicopter under a full collective pull-out, you can actually strip the gear because of the load the blades will transmit back to the main gear. I have had that happen to me, personally, and it is not fun. Your speed controller is overkill as an 80 would be more than enough but if you already bought it, it will work, of course.

For a 700 size scale helicopter, a rotor speed with two blades that will give good performance and long flights with good blades, would be somewhere around 1200 to 1300 rpm and if you can go a bit lower, all the better. Your staying with a high kv motor will make that goal nearly impossible as the lowest I can get a calculated head speed down to without putting an excessive heat load to the ESC, is 1500rpm. I would seriously look at going 12s and changing the gearing to Mod 1. but if that is not in the cards, then have a look at the 730kv motor with your 170t main and a 14t pinion that would get you around 1360rpm at a governed 92% level.

If I was to go with a 12s setup, I would look at a motor of around 450kv with your main gear and a 14t pinion. With the change to a Mod 1. gearing (stock 170 gear is Mod .7), I would stay with the 450kv motor and change the main gear to the new 118t Mod 1. main gear and the 10t pinion that will goes with it. Both are slanted gears and will have lots of strength for the job. You will get a top rpm of 1410 and that should be lots of room to start at 1200rpm and move up until you find a level you like. Your issue at that point would be if your ESC can work with 12s or not, which would mean another ESC but I would still not bother with anything higher than 80 to 90A. Hope this helps.

Don

PS: I am suggesting motors that can fit your frame with minimal or no changes. I had to modify the frame of my 550 in order to use an 890kv motor. No big deal but wear a mask because of the carbon dust.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:24 AM
Joined Sep 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Pelle:

I would not go as low as the 12 as the material is very thin and can result in a shattered gear with a hard impact landing. Your motor shaft is most likely 6mm and that would suggest the best low tooth pinion would be the 13t. If you have a 5mm motor shaft, then it is entirely possible to put a 12t in place and run it with the 170t main gear. The issue that can happen is when you put the helicopter under a full collective pull-out, you can actually strip the gear because of the load the blades will transmit back to the main gear. I have had that happen to me, personally, and it is not fun. Your speed controller is overkill as an 80 would be more than enough but if you already bought it, it will work, of course.

For a 700 size scale helicopter, a rotor speed with two blades that will give good performance and long flights with good blades, would be somewhere around 1200 to 1300 rpm and if you can go a bit lower, all the better. Your staying with a high kv motor will make that goal nearly impossible as the lowest I can get a calculated head speed down to without putting an excessive heat load to the ESC, is 1500rpm. I would seriously look at going 12s and changing the gearing to Mod 1. but if that is not in the cards, then have a look at the 730kv motor with your 170t main and a 14t pinion that would get you around 1360rpm at a governed 92% level.

If I was to go with a 12s setup, I would look at a motor of around 450kv with your main gear and a 14t pinion. With the change to a Mod 1. gearing (stock 170 gear is Mod .7), I would stay with the 450kv motor and change the main gear to the new 118t Mod 1. main gear and the 10t pinion that will goes with it. Both are slanted gears and will have lots of strength for the job. You will get a top rpm of 1410 and that should be lots of room to start at 1200rpm and move up until you find a level you like. Your issue at that point would be if your ESC can work with 12s or not, which would mean another ESC but I would still not bother with anything higher than 80 to 90A. Hope this helps.

Don

PS: I am suggesting motors that can fit your frame with minimal or no changes. I had to modify the frame of my 550 in order to use an 890kv motor. No big deal but wear a mask because of the carbon dust.
Hi Don and thanks for your answer.
I thought that the motor high kv was the "problem" in the setup.
I have a lot of stuff in my boxes here and that was the setup I tried.
I will have a 6S setup because of saving weight and room inside in heli.
I have a black slanted gear here also Align M1/112T and if I buy a new motor like this http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...li_880kv_.html
I have that one in another Rex600 and it runs well.
And I saw that KDE have slanted pinion in M1 with 10,11,12T for that gear.
If I choose this solution with 10 or 11T, do you think it will be any problem with the heat on ESC with that?
Or if that not seems to work out I can buy that 118T and run it with 10 or 11T also.

Br
Pelle
Last edited by Pelle57; Mar 09, 2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 07:01 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
With that setup, you should be ok. I would also have on hand the 12t in the event you need a bit more rpm and tail authority although even that should not be an issue as you are running only two blades. I am running the same motor in my Jet Ranger but it is a 550 in a 550 size body so it is nowhere near taxed out on power. With the 12t pinion, you would get a final rpm, governed, at 1450rpm, which is just a bit high for a 700 scale Ranger. The 11t might be perfect and that should be the stand-by but maybe the first trial setup. One thing I have learned is that although you can take the chassis, add weight until it reaches what the final model will, it will not give you the same response to the tail that the body will. That is why I suggest having the 12t pinion on hand once the body is on because I will guarantee that it will take to the air with the 11t pinion and even the 10 but the tail may or may not work as well. One other thing you can have on stand-by is a longer set of tail blades. Most 700's have 105mm blades as stock so a set of 115 to 120mm blades would be a good idea. Even when it is in chassis test form, don't bother with the standard 90 to 95mm blades of the 600 as they will certainly be too small for the final body. Heat should not be a problem unless there is no way in for cool air. If you can, leave the rear windows out and put screen over them to simulate a window being there. If there are no side windows (normal for these birds) then screen all around would be perfect. I have no side windows in my Ranger and everything runs cool, even on the hottest days of summer. Hope this helps.

Don