HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:13 AM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
991 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy R/C LED Lighting System

Hello everyone,

I have some questions about the Turnigy LED kit that I was hoping someone could help me with.

First, a product link so we're all on the same page here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ng_system.html

Now then, on with the questions!

I've already installed one of these kits onto my PZ P-51 BL and it works pretty good. Now I'm installing it onto my PZ Spitfire. However, the Spit is already using all available channels on my AR600 receiver. Is it possible to still connect this light kit to one of the channels via a Y-harness on the Gear or Flaps channel?

Next up: The kit is pretty good for the price, but as others have noted, the light coming from the LEDs are very directional and don't really shine to the sides much (if at all). I was thinking about replacing the bulbs with more omni-directional ones. Does anyone know what type of bulb I should look for to achieve this desired affect? There's got to be a name for this kind of bulb, right?

Lastly, I bought a set of clear plastic light covers that go over the LEDs and make them look for like scale lights on the wingtips, etcetera. I was thinking, instead of bothering with the omni-directional bulbs, perhaps I could just frost these plastic covers and they might provide a similar omni-directional effect. I don't have many of these plastic caps, so I'd rather not waste one if the my hypothesis is wrong. Has any one else tried something like this? Did it work?

Edit: I might attempt this and see how it works out. Seems like an easy fix to the focused light problem.

http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-defuse-an-LED/
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2013, 07:40 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
781 Posts
I not used this lighting setup, but yes it should work find on a Y connection.

The specs for many LEDs will include lighting radius for the bulb, but depending on where you buy them, they might not have the specs. The caps you have are probably a better way to accomplish this and some are sold just for that purpose. I tend to have the leds shine into the plane, rather than away from it which will make a big difference.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Nov 09, 2013, 03:44 AM
Joined Apr 2013
991 Posts
In case anyone comes across this and wants to know the answers...

I connected the lights and landing gear together on a y harness and connected it to the gear channel on my receiver and it works fine.

Also, sanding the led bulbs did help make them more diffuse, but only partially so. Better than the bright cones they used to be.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 04:38 PM
Joined Aug 2013
1 Posts
Sanding LEDs

I have the same kit and the same problems that you had. It works well if you sand the sides but leave the tip as clear. That way you get the diffuse light from the sides but it does not affect the brightness of the LED as it was designed.
Sinko1059 is offline Find More Posts by Sinko1059
Old Nov 12, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2013
991 Posts
I just wish the red lights were as bright as the green light. It looks a bit goofy, IMO with the green being so visible and bright, but all the other lights aren't nearly as visible.