SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:13 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,264 Posts
That is a variation of the 4-button, 2-line charger. There are a LOT of them. You don't have to balance charge the battery, but you SHOULD balance charge it. The balance plug is the one you hook to your old PZ charger.
It's not a 'fast' charger.....you need to set it appropriately for the battery. Read that first link I gave you for specifics about how to charge.

Watch these to actually use the charger:
Venom Pro Charger Plus Demo

Charging & Balancing a Li-po with the Turnigy Accucell-6
It has a different name but works the same.

Follow some links if you need to know more. Learn to use the Venom. Then throw the PZ away.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Last edited by flydiver; Jul 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:23 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
. Then throw the PZ away.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
I know...... In my beginning days I had 6 PZ chargers. 2 like the OP's died for no reason (along with a couple NiMh ones) I could tell. One had the termination problem before it died-good riddance as it confused me too.
Some people can and do use them for a long time. They are easy and simple but when something goes wrong you simply do not know squat. Asking in the Groups really doesn't help since you will have little objective data.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 12:32 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
440 Posts
May be bad balance

I've had a similar problem. If your cells are not balanced, the batter is bad, and will not hold a charge. There are very inexpensive devices to measure the voltage in each cell. If one cell is much different from the others, the battery may be bad.
As I understand, lipos always need to be charged with balancing.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Aug 05, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,264 Posts
So.....bad lipo......or bad charger.....or both?
Without decent tools you don't have a chance. At a minimum you need a decent charger.

Lipos don't HAVE to be balanced charged, but they SHOULD be balanced charged. Before balance chargers became easily obtainable lots of charging was done with non-balancing chargers. There were more fires too.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 04:23 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
440 Posts
Prob a bad battery

I use a Traxxas peak detection charger (Traxxas 2933 EZ-Peak Plus 6 Amp LiPo and NiMH Charger) that I got for about $80 on Amazon. It is AC/DC and will charge almost any type of battery. I've been very satisfied with it, and Traxxas provides amazing customer support.

I received a battery tester (Hyperion EOS Sentry Battery Checker) from a friend who happens to be an electrical engineer. It tells immediately if the lipo cells are balanced. If a cell is off by > 1V, I think the lipo is bad. When I had a bad battery, my friend suggested attempting to balance charge about 3 times and if the voltages didn't get much closer, to trash the battery.

I hope this helps.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan