HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:44 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
What was going on with this vet that lead authorities to discover five 30 round (illegal) mags?
Libelle201B is online now Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Traffic stop, classic police state tactic.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:50 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Traffic stop, classic police state tactic.
That's funny, how about a UHaul filled with explosives?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
That's funny, how about a UHaul filled with explosives?
I dont see anything funny about it.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:02 AM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:
I like the one comment on the link about it being ex post facto law and they need to show who is the victim of his "crime".

They made it clear none of those principles matter to them.
I remember seeing a story about a man being charged with possession of marahuana. he was able to shuck the charges because in his state there was a law that said, if punishing the crime causes more harm that the crime itself, no law had been broken. or something to that effect, wonder if that could apply here.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:31 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
I dont see it. A guy buys a gun with a few 30 round magazines from a gun shop years ago when nobody said it is illegal, they change the law years later and now he is a criminal. That's ex post facto and prevented by the Constitution.
Maybe one of the lawyers can chime in on this, but I think that it has been decided that "regulatory laws" like this are exempted from ex-post facto prohibitions - as are other categories like tax law and misdemeanors.

So don't expect any help from the courts on that angle.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:07 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
I dont see anything funny about it.
So, it's a "police state tactic" to make a traffic stop? Just think how different things would have been if Timothy McVeigh had been stopped for a traffic violation minutes or an hour before he detonated the rental truck.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
So, it's a "police state tactic" to make a traffic stop? Just think how different things would have been if Timothy McVeigh had been stopped for a traffic violation minutes or an hour before he detonated the rental truck.
I can do that too, I wonder how many government jobs he created?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Jul 2006
298 Posts
But its okay to arrest him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattacks View Post
He'll be fine. Theres no way he'll actually get convicted of five felonies. It'll almost surely be dropped to a lesser charge. The mans a damn war hero after all. He was released without bail. That should tell you somthing right there.

Theres a reason why this made headlines is to get everyones attention. If you have these high capacity magazines you better get rid of them like a hot potato. He still is in violation of the law and those magazines are illegal. We'll have to follow this story to see the outcome. Im sure this will geet coverage from a lot of news networks.
Yeah - its fine to arrest him and charge him under this farce of a law. It will only cost him a bunch of money to fight this attempt at subverting our inalienable rights.
And folks think our rights are safe with the Democrats.
kf2qd is offline Find More Posts by kf2qd
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:55 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,754 Posts
As was stated, this was already the law in NY; since 1994. Though the possession of "grandfathered" pre-ban mags is still legal. In fact, since mags are generally not date stamped, it is almost impossible to enforce under the current law. NY's unconstitutional SAFE act banning even pre-ban mags does not go into effect for 1 year.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer