SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:03 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
had a bit of time so I started the build, having the 48" extra I knew the landing gear and motor mounts were weak points, I made a few improvement, I also added some carbon stringers from the landing gear back to the wood in the middle of the fuse
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:44 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Just picked up clamps for the lights! First flight may be tonight not sure though.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
At field testing. Up wind down wind side wind at no throttle and at wot. ... no right wing drop.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Last edited by chopper62; Aug 15, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
that is interesting about yours chopper. I would be very interested for you to measure from the ground to the rear wing tip on each side and see if they are the same or not. I am very convinced now after flying again just now and thinking some more that i am on to something about a twist being in the wing. Many of you talked about using the centerline of the wingtip to center your ailerons. I just did this this evening. I took off my SFG's and used the centerline and centered. After doing this, I looked from the rear of the plane and noticed the right aileron looked about 1/8 of an inch higher then the left one. where they are closest to the fuse. They should not be off like this if the centerline if each wingtip is the same angle. following me? After measuring and looking from all angles I am convinced there is a twist in the wing where the right rear part of the wing is twisted higher then the left half of the wing, causing downforce over the right wing to occur even harder the faster you go.

I made sure both ailerons LOOKED centered looking from the rear and took off. it still banked right right away. It took about 5 clicks of trim at 50% or less throttle to make it fly level. if I went faster then the right roll came back. As long as i was at 50% or less I was fine and it flew pretty well over all. go full speed and you need another 4 clicks of trim or so to correct again but then your left aileron seems almost unresponsive at times. This wing twist has to be the issue.....manufacturing defect.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:35 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
At field testing. Up wind down wind side wind at no throttle and at wot. ... no right wing drop.
sooo.....how are you liking this plane overall then chopper? happy with it?

ok, just did some more measurements and noticed something else. when I posted that picture earlier today showing that the elevator stab was not lined up with the wing, I assumed that the stab was not level, when in fact, when I just measured the stab is level to the ground and in fact the wing is not. I measured right up against the fuse at the back of the wing and where the right wing comes out of the fuse, it is higher by around 1/16 of an inch to an 1/8 of an inch then where the left wing comes out. that is why when I look from the back down to the wing, they are not level with each other. I believe the hole cut for the wing is not level with the fuse.
Last edited by nickelbn1; Aug 15, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post

ok, just did some more measurements and noticed something else. when I posted that picture earlier today showing that the elevator stab was not lined up with the wing, I assumed that the stab was not level, when in fact, when I just measured the stab is level to the ground and in fact the wing is not. I measured right up against the fuse at the back of the wing and where the right wing comes out of the fuse, it is higher by around 1/16 of an inch to an 1/8 of an inch then where the left wing comes out. that is why when I look from the back down to the wing, they are not level with each other. I believe the hole cut for the wing is not level with the fuse.
I called it!
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
You said you havent put your wing on yet. Did you see my post asking someone to balance their wing to see if it seems balanced?
Checked the raw wing and it's pretty well balanced with nothing on it. Didn't make as much progress tonight as I wanted due to my lack of a 1/2" drill bit to enlarge the hole for the rear of the motor slightly. Also I need to get some spacers I think. But I did get all the electronics soldered up at least and the push rods put on the rear.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Here's a high speed pass from chopper's plane (it was a high pass, so the hat cam makes it look tiny). There was no right wing dip on his plane - it tracked pretty straight.

One thing to point out. His plane does not have the landing gear skirts and wheel pants on them.

High Speed Pass - 3DHS 40" EPP Edge (0 min 9 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:

I just did the same measurement and I get a difference of 1/16 of an inch on the trailing edge, the leading edge is fine. I have not put my wing in yet.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:

Due to the EPP skin, true measurements required the EPP to be peeled back. According to the measurements of the crashed plane I've got, the trailing edge of the wing-cut-outs are both the same distance to the back of the plane. This is telling me when the pieces were cut, they were laser cut in stack and not one by one.

Furthermore, there are slots in the upper frame to fit and to line up the two pieces of the side frame where the wings slide into.

Am getting use to this plane and after destroying 4 planes in less than a month, I'm flying this one a bit higher than I'm used to. Just got tired of fixing and assembling new planes after work and ignoring the significant other. It gets expensive when I don't pay attention to her.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Last edited by chopper62; Aug 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:29 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I just did the same measurement and I get a difference of 1/16 of an inch on the trailing edge, the leading edge is fine. I have not put my wing in yet.
so, I feel like kind of proves my theory. if the leading edges match up but the trailing edge is off, that would make a twist in the wing, would it not?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:08 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
This plane is pissing me off, I am tired of dealing with those damn "easy" connectors so I tried the z bend route, well one wire already snapped so now I am short a wire, if I some how managed to get this z bend down I am hoping I have enough rod from a aileron that I have enough for the rudder setup.

Did anybody else do z bends in there's?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Hey guys guess what, z bend pliers would probably work great! (Rolleyes at myself.) I am going to have to get some of those, I am done with easy connectors, they are a pita more than easy.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:46 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Hey guys guess what, z bend pliers would probably work great! (Rolleyes at myself.) I am going to have to get some of those, I am done with easy connectors, they are a pita more than easy.
Dual ball links and threaded rod, and you'll never want to use anything else.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:19 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Yeah, I will pick those up to if I see them at a local hobby shop, what size are they that I need for the 4x size planes?