SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
Discussion
Chase Vehicle GPS

One item we find extremely helpful is a chase vehicle mounted GPS. We input the turnpoint coordinates beforehand and the GPS then displays distance to the selected turnpoint at all times. This is very helpful in calculating final glides and other strategic decisions.

I just found an add for a Garmin unit at a price of only $69. Its hard to go wrong at that price. Its at : http://www.megagps.com/nuvi1250noh.aspx

I sure there are other units at similar prices.

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:45 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
John - Does your unit provide Sat/Hybid/Map options for the display?
Wondering if there was a topo version - the climb up and down to tanks was disconcerting depending on altitude and direction - that was a significant elevation difference.
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
jgs99v wrote
Quote:
Does your unit provide Sat/Hybid/Map options for the display?
Jack, I don't think so.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ellias View Post
One item we find extremely helpful is a chase vehicle mounted GPS. We input the turnpoint coordinates beforehand and the GPS then displays distance to the selected turnpoint at all times. This is very helpful in calculating final glides and other strategic decisions.

I just found an add for a Garmin unit at a price of only $69. Its hard to go wrong at that price. Its at : http://www.megagps.com/nuvi1250noh.aspx

I sure there are other units at similar prices.

John
John, does the GPS give you road miles or straight line air miles? I would think road miles would be more useful. Or are you using it to get a heading to fly?

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Steve - The one I have - that we have'nt used yet displays the road miles and ETA for each TP based on average distance vs speed. And also has an arrow which indicates the direction to turn. Greg and those guys don't approve of such devices.

Jack
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:01 PM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
Steve, it gives road miles road miles to either the turnpoint or distance to the next turn at an intersection if there is an intersection prior to the turnpoint.

Jack, what's wrong with having a GPS in the car? I have a gps with me at all times, otherwise I would never know where I am!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ellias View Post
Jack, what's wrong with having a GPS in the car? I have a gps with me at all times, otherwise I would never know where I am!
Last year I attempted to use this tack - but the team was not reliant as they have memorized the course and know tracking etc....
If you ever get a chance to team up with Greg you'll know what I mean. He reduces his workload to focus on the task at hand. We just provide the relavant angle of trajectory with respect to the next TP and he follows it.

But I do have a Nuvi, with all the turn points entered for CV, Davis and Montague. In fact Mavis was trained for this specific task whereby should could enter the route, then start the route and monitor these data and relay the info to the pilot and co-pliot/spotter. However she was given a different task at Montague So if a 10yr old can handle this anyone can!!! Each team has their own dependencies. But like you - I need this!!! It's indispensible if unfamiliar/only one pilot etc.....
One aspect that it does not provide is the method to fly the tightest course.
There were many opportunities at Montague to take advantage of this, and the flight data will reflect who flew the tightest course.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:32 PM
Happy on 72
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
While I don't fly XC (I hope to someday), I can add some information about GPS units. Some of the more recent versions by Garmin and Delorme allow you to download satellite and "birdseye" imagery into the GPS so you can have an overlay of what the terrain really looks like. You can also buy or download topo maps that give a good overview of the terrain as well. As far as routing goes, you can either let the GPS figure out a route, or you can plot your desired course on a pc and then upload it to the GPS so you can follow the track you define. Distances are then given based on the track and not straight line distances.

One option would be to use an iPad with 3G (you need the 3G version because the 3G chipset because the GPS functionality is built into it). There are a number of GPS mapping apps available that might work quite well for XC.

Mike
mwhitman is offline Find More Posts by mwhitman