HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2014, 09:26 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Stick with the 3.8 span its way more floaty than the 3.5 if lift is rarely your issue then the slightly better handling and landing of the 3.5 might be ok - I only ever used my 3.5 span when the wind really picked up or I needed something to practice with.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2014, 10:29 PM
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2013
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
Stick with the 3.8 span its way more floaty than the 3.5 if lift is rarely your issue then the slightly better handling and landing of the 3.5 might be ok - I only ever used my 3.5 span when the wind really picked up or I needed something to practice with.
I do like floaty. On Saturday I was able to work some light thermals and stay up for 7-10 minutes.

Tom
Imageek2 is offline Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old May 04, 2014, 10:48 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,714 Posts
How were you trying to learn to launch? Holding by the boom or in front of the wing?
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old May 04, 2014, 11:37 PM
Bad command or file name
Joined Jan 2013
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
How were you trying to learn to launch? Holding by the boom or in front of the wing?
In front of the wing. I don't think I kept my elbow locked. Of course it all happened pretty fast. The tail knocked my hat down over my eyes so I didn't even see the impact, just the crumpled remains on the ground. I regret not getting a picture now!

Tom
Old May 05, 2014, 02:17 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,344 Posts
Yikes Tom, so sorry to hear this!
Let me see what I have in both 3.5 and 3.8 X1 tips. I know I have some, just gotta dig them out from one of the boxes.
T
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old May 05, 2014, 02:20 AM
Bad command or file name
Joined Jan 2013
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Let me see what I have in both 3.5 and 3.8 X1 tips. I know I have some, just gotta dig them out from one of the boxes.
T
Thanks Tuan, I appreciate you looking!

Tom
Old May 05, 2014, 10:20 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
This community rocks I remember Mike Lee doing the same thing for me and the same favor returned a few years later.
Old May 05, 2014, 10:38 AM
"He's hot in the center!"
Halfway, MO
Joined Jul 2003
232 Posts
So what's the hot new method for ballasting the X? Is the screw together ballast set adequate for the X2 4000?
AdamQuennoz is offline Find More Posts by AdamQuennoz
Old May 05, 2014, 10:47 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamQuennoz View Post
So what's the hot new method for ballasting the X? Is the screw together ballast set adequate for the X2 4000?

IMHO speaking from someone who knows what its like to have to fly at 12m/sec in a contest (and hated it lol) If your model is sub 65 oz the brass ballast is not going to be sufficient in any serious wind.

I have a tungsten rod that is .5 dia and 15 inches long adapted to a copper tube. ITs ugly but effectively gets these light models to the required wing loading for big wind.

Adding the brass is only going to be effective in light to medium winds.
Old May 05, 2014, 03:46 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
453 Posts
The screw together ballast will allow for the following combinations (see attached cheat sheet):

12 (Long, Alum, Brass, Alum, Alum, Brass)
18 (Short, Alum, Bras, Brass, Brass, Brass, Brass, Alum)
and 24oz

A brass tube filled with lead will give you 32oz.

I found that the X2 does not need to be ballasted right away and its ability to climb suffers with ballast. The AUW of my 4000 is 71oz. (4 x 1.2oz HV MKS in the wing).
In Houston at the JTour event with 15-20 mph I had the 24oz combination and it was more that adequate, the 18 oz would have probably been a better choice.

Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Old May 05, 2014, 04:49 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
The tungsten rod I have is 32 oz - which only takes the X-2 3.5 to 91 oz - my problem was not climbing out it was getting home but the winds were higher than I ever imagined an event would continue at. I saw wind meters gusting to 18m/sec at one point.

I was not even really focusing on lift in some of my rounds I was more concerned with simply not having to lose my model or relite. I figured if the event was going to blow like this for a week the guy with something left to fly was going to stand a chance to win...

At one point I was wondering if I could get two rods into my 3.5 but then Chaos entered the scene

The real question is what can the fuse handle after 32 oz -
Old May 06, 2014, 01:16 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
453 Posts
Forgot, the 1st and/or 3rd notation in front of the four set ups is the hole used to secure the ballast to maintain the correct CG.
Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Old May 08, 2014, 04:05 PM
Bad command or file name
Joined Jan 2013
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
T
Thanks to Tuan I have some 3.5 replacement tips . Now to repair the fuse. I am going to replace the pushrods with carbon fiber while I'm doing it, and will also look at replacing the ball assembly on the rudder with a horn and L bend.

Tom
Old May 08, 2014, 06:35 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
I just got my Xplorer 1 3.8 flying well when this happened.

Now I need new tips. If I end up with a choice, should I replace the 3.8 tips with 3.5 tips? Many people seem to like the 3.5 better than the 3.8. I don't have enough experience to make an informed decision, so I am interested in opinions.

Thanks

Tom
Say it isn't so!!!!
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old May 08, 2014, 07:16 PM
Bad command or file name
Joined Jan 2013
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Say it isn't so!!!!
I know Jun, honestly the thing that bummed me the most was that when I got it from you it didn't have a scratch on it! And it really was flying beautifully, in fact at the last SC2 contest I took first place in the Open Sportsman category with it!

I was hoping you wouldn't hear about it until it had faded from your memory a bit more, lessen the blow!

Tom