SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined Jul 2014
826 Posts
Discussion
FatShark 600TVL vs. Sony Super HAD ii 600TVL

Bottom line, the fatshark camera is junk. If you're like me and started out with one of the fatshark kits you should upgrade your camera right away. The main difference is the WDR feature on the Sony camera. I feel like I can see everything now...

I flew in a dimly lit parking garage last night for 3 hours and with the Sony cam I could see better than I could flying outside under overcast with the fatshark cam. The fatshark cam really only worked on a clear day when the sun was overhead. It suffered in basically every other condition.
Conradm is online now Find More Posts by Conradm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2014, 01:25 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,586 Posts
Exactly, the Sony Super HAD II's are amazing. And for $40 in the USA
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CustomFPVSetups.com
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:24 PM
Joined Jul 2014
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Exactly, the Sony Super HAD II's are amazing. And for $40 in the USA
Yep. I was slightly skeptical but this thing can really handle any lighting condition.

Oh and I got mine from Multirotormania for $34.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 07:34 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
170 Posts
Since I need a new Camera, is this the one you are talking about, if it is, which lens would you get 3.6 or 2.8?

Sony Super

And really, it was the camera's fault that I didn't see that tree!

thanks
JamesBC is offline Find More Posts by JamesBC
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:19 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,586 Posts
I prefer the 2.8mm lens on quadcopters and agile smaller planes where you'll be dodging lots of obstacles and need to know what's around you (2.8 = higher FOV). I prefer the 3.6mm when I want to do slightly further flying and need to see what's ahead of me clearer from a further distance. (3.6mm = lower FOV, objects clearer at range).

Either way you go, especially if you haven't flown FPV yet, you'll be fine.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:06 PM
Joined Jul 2014
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBC View Post
Since I need a new Camera, is this the one you are talking about, if it is, which lens would you get 3.6 or 2.8?

Sony Super

And really, it was the camera's fault that I didn't see that tree!

thanks
Yep that's it. You can also get it in the US for roughly the same price from here.

http://multirotormania.com/cameras/4...vl-camera.html
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:30 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,391 Posts
It's not a fatshark, but it shows how different my PZ0420 and generic cameras are.

Different days but same time and same location. I dare say the thing's barely flyable.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:45 PM
Shenzhen, China
Joined May 2007
406 Posts
So in order to add credibility to the thread's author of condemnation of the Fat Shark camera you post a comparison of 2 cameras on different days and choose any old CMOS camera you had to represent what you think a Fat Shark camera would look like. Wow. Thanks.
Fat Shark
fatshark is offline Find More Posts by fatshark
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:47 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,586 Posts
Above post had nothing to do with FatShark. He specifically states this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:18 PM
Joined Jul 2014
826 Posts
It may not be a fatshark camera in the comparison but it's a good representation of what I was dealing with. Especially now that the light has changed with Autumn. It was barely flyable in less than perfect light.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:19 PM
Joined Jul 2014
826 Posts
If I ever flew into the low sun the ground basically blacked out.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:23 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,391 Posts
I'm not condemning the fatshark camera, i'm adding credibility to the PZ0420 (i.e. sony super had 600tvl). This is a common issue with FPV cameras that anybody can relate to. It doesn't matter if they're on different days as long as the lighting conditions are the same, and since i fly both so often, there are no good and bad days.

I fly with BaseSDs and on the CMOS, i have to turn the setting all the way up just to be able to faintly see the ground and avoid crashing during the times i turn towards the sun (If you notice, it's a T junction with houses at the end), which meant flying with the picture alternating between overly bright and overly dark. The PZ0420 keeps the brightness consistent and visibility is prioritized even if the colors tend to wash out, which is what makes it such a good FPV camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradm View Post
If I ever flew into the low sun the ground basically blacked out.
You don't have to face the sun. On a cloudy day where the clouds are lit up by the sun and their shadows are casted on the ground, you get the same effect.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Nov 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:33 PM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
3,049 Posts
A little off topic, but I only have one Fatshark camera - so ... Took this with a FS700 camera ...

FPV 3 on F450 FS700 FPV cam 5 8ghz IRC 600mW vTx (3 min 26 sec)

Seems to handle the bright sky and the ground at the same time. Specially at the end, when pointed under the willow trees - all is still visible, and some cams can't handle the dark under the willows from outside the willows. But, maybe I'm not picky enough though?
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
Last edited by Tim Green; Nov 23, 2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: wrong url
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:38 PM
Joined Jul 2014
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
A little off topic, but I only have one Fatshark camera - so ... Took this with a FS700 camera ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5Qh2bBR_A

Seems to handle the bright sky and the ground at the same time. Specially at the end, when pointed under the willow trees - all is still visible, and some cams can't handle the dark under the willows from outside the willows. But, maybe I'm not picky enough though?
Is it this cam? Specs say it's a Sony sensor. The camera I'm talking about is a CMOS sensor.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,391 Posts
Naah, it's fine. It's mostly pointed at the ground and it's the middle of the day so the ground is well lit as well so there should be no problem. The sensors on my cameras are both made by Sony as well, but one of them is the super had.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Nov 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM.