HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
New Product
Change Sun 11 Blade 50mm

Just found this new 50mm 11 blade offering from Change Sun but no thread about it here on RCG, so here it is.

Not much info to go on at the moment, but can be bought from http://x-flight.com.hk/?sp=&p=6&cat2...ro_new&lang=en and http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2949.

Features :

- New Design & High Performance 50mm 11 Blade EDF Unit.

- Motor Already Installed By Factory.

- Rotor Blade : 11 Blade

- With 2.0mm Gold-Plate Connector

- Suitable With Most 50mm EDF Jet In The Market

- Can Provide More Thrust & Better Sound Performance

Description:

- Rotor Material: PC Reinforced Nylon

- Outside Diameter : 54.5mm

- Ducted Fan Length : 28.0mm

- Rotor DIameter : 50mm , 11 Blades

- Overall Weight : 66g ( Whole Unit )

- Motors : High Performance Outrunner Brushless Motor

- Working Voltage: 3S 11.1v

- Static Thrust : Around 410g At 11.1v (25A)

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367246639.829835.jpg
Views: 172
Size: 19.6 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367246649.684020.jpg
Views: 125
Size: 16.8 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367246659.498973.jpg
Views: 125
Size: 27.2 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367246667.838005.jpg
Views: 183
Size: 10.6 KB
Description:
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2013, 10:08 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
Today I received two of these from Hobby Paradise for $18 each (total was $40.18 including postage to Germany).

I've already tested each with a 25A ESC and 3s 1350mAh LiPo. They sound nice and, surprisingly, they appear well balanced. I held each in my hand while testing and I was impressed by feeling virtually no vibration. Additionally, the sound is not a piercing whine, but more a loud whoosh with a quiet background buzz.

I did not measure thrust, but it felt more like around 250–300 grams, although I suspect with better ducting and a good thrust tube it could reach about 400 grams. (The fan does not come with a contoured inlet lip.)

I have an old but new-in-box Robbe Concorde and will proceed to modify it for use with these two fans. That means carefully cutting off its scale-like nacelles that are set up for [pusher] 400/6v motors with Gnther-Props, and then constructing some slightly larger-than-scale nacelles and ducting for these ChangeSun EDFs.

Years ago when I origianlly bought the Robbe Concorde, I also bought two WeMoTec MicroFans, also 50mm, but they whined way too much so I abandoned the idea of using them in this model. A few weeks ago when I received a product update from Hobby Paradise, the price looked irresistible, and I know the ChangeSun fans are not whiney. Hence I quickly ordered them for the Robbe Concorde.

And now it's back on the workbench.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old May 18, 2013, 01:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
That's awesome, don't suppose you got any video of running them up? I've just seen the hobbyparadise vid with the hawk and the performance looks great, the sound is nice too.

Do you have a watt meter to check the amperage the fan is pulling? The specs say it pulls 25A so I'd be a little weary to use 25A ESCs. Doesn't leave any margin.

I've been thinking for a while about using twin 50mm EDFs for an airliner build, but up till now there's not been a great choice of fans, and to get a decent setup looked costly. One of the reasons for starting the thread is I wanted to hear what people said about this unit, I was trying to decide whether to buy some of these or the cyclone power alloy 10 blade 50mm's, but would rather be able to use 3s lipo's like with the CS 50mm.

Do you have a thread for your Concorde? If not, I'd be interested in one to see the progress, as would others in the airliner forum.

Guess I need to bite the bullet and buy some of these myself to try out.
Old May 18, 2013, 01:44 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,166 Posts
Shame about that Robbe Concorde . Those flew Very Well indeed with s400's.
A pair of brushless motors and Lipo battery pack would give serious performance.
Albeit not edf :-)
Alloy 50 units are fairly well made, their blade roots look large/ thick enough to survive... and none have shed :-) at 40k+ rpms.. so far.
Alloy shell, while heavyish is dead accurate.. which is useful imo..
However my Haoye 51mm 7 bladers give Mo' performance with same motor/cells.
Only slightly more whine, inconsequential differences imo
Might insert the H7 blader into the ali shell.. It fits :-)
Best use 40 a ESCs Minimum preferably bigger .. as Mine is at ~34 amps on 4s using a decent (not oem Motor)
Still a dog's breakfast for choices methinks
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Last edited by Bare; May 18, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old May 18, 2013, 03:27 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadhurst94
That's awesome, don't suppose you got any video of running them up?
No. At least not yet. I just got them in the mail about 9 hours ago.

Quote:
Do you have a watt meter to check the amperage the fan is pulling?
Yes. I also have a thrust scale. But I am not going rush and build this model right away. After some dedicated EDF testing about 1 year ago, my Graupner Epic Victory S has been sitting mostly untouched, a lot unglued, and with servos hanging and wires dangling. Bottom line: I am lazy.

For the ChangeSun 50 fans, I have two 30A ESCs on order. For the initial run-ups, I just happened to have one 25A ESC with the right connectors handy.

Quote:
Do you have a thread for your Concorde?
No. And I don't plan to start one either. The interesting aspect of this model is the EDF unit and its performance, so I will keep the posts here, short and simple (as opposed to this reply). The Robbe model is long discontinued, the ChangeSun 50mm EDF is new needs some review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Shame about that Robbe Concorde . Those flew Very Well indeed with s400's.
A pair of brushless motors and Lipo battery pack would give serious performance.
Albeit not edf :-)
I know the Robbe Concorde flies well — in fact, quite boring — with the 400/6v motors and Gnther-Props. I have seen many fly.

But for about 10 years I have refused to build mine with a propeller setup, and the WeMoTec MicroFan was not really what I wanted either. So I have been saving the kit for a better day — and that appears to be now. The ChangeSun 50mm fans are economical and will easily give it a good 50-percent thrust-to-weight ratio. It may still be somewhat boring to fly, but at least it will sound and look better.

And hotliner performance is not my concern; vertical flight and loops don't interest me here.
Old May 22, 2013, 03:03 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
Received these two ESCs today and will give them a whirl to see how they perform. At $7.80 ea. they were dirt cheap, so one or both will either, 1) work okay, 2) play dead forever, or 3) smoke.

I'm also setting up one ChangeSun 50mm fan with a formed inlet lip from Depron and thrust tube from a small plastic cup for thrust and amp measurement.
Old May 22, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadhurst94 View Post
Just found this new 50mm 11 blade offering from Change Sun but no thread about it here on RCG, so here it is.

Not much info to go on at the moment, but can be bought from http://x-flight.com.hk/?sp=&p=6&cat2...ro_new&lang=en and http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2949.

Features :

- New Design & High Performance 50mm 11 Blade EDF Unit.

- Motor Already Installed By Factory.

- Rotor Blade : 11 Blade

- With 2.0mm Gold-Plate Connector

- Suitable With Most 50mm EDF Jet In The Market

- Can Provide More Thrust & Better Sound Performance

Description:

- Rotor Material: PC Reinforced Nylon

- Outside Diameter : 54.5mm

- Ducted Fan Length : 28.0mm

- Rotor DIameter : 50mm , 11 Blades

- Overall Weight : 66g ( Whole Unit )

- Motors : High Performance Outrunner Brushless Motor

- Working Voltage: 3S 11.1v

- Static Thrust : Around 410g At 11.1v (25A)

Attachment 5740136
Attachment 5740137
Attachment 5740138
Attachment 5740139
If these come balanced, then it's definitely a big plus, especially for a cheap chinese unit. The 400gram thrust rating is a bit disappointing though, they are possibly limiting rpm to avoid any failures..
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old May 22, 2013, 04:38 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,166 Posts
You are after a scale build/flight?
Perhaps a 30/35mm edf unit might be a bit more scale?
Or even 4 of them :-).
In the micro EDF's area there are claims of ~3/400 gms thrust from those.. Which seems as incredible for such tiny units.
The upshot being that one now has the possibility of scale inlets.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 22, 2013, 05:33 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
... Perhaps a 30/35mm edf unit might be a bit more scale? ... Or even 4 of them ... The upshot being that one now has the possibility of scale inlets.
I appreciate the suggestion, but I recently rejected that option — too many wires and more could go wrong. But that's not to say those HK-30A ESCs are of infallible quality. With 4 ESCs the setup would actually cost more.

Additionally, four of those little EDFs would be cumulatively louder, if not more whiny, than what I want. They also function best with 2s LiPos, whereas I will utilize the 3s LiPo packs that [will] also power my Epic Victory S.

My modification's thrust will be fine. The nacelles will measure 1cm wider and 1cm deeper (or lower beneath the wing) than the pre-formed Robbe nacelles which have already been cut off for reuse in the modification. This does not really distract much, if at all, from scale appearance, especially from a distance. A very narrow slice of contoured Depron inside each nacelle's front and back will assist the appearance of two engines inlets/outlets under each wing.
Old May 22, 2013, 07:34 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
My new Change Sun 11blade 50mm unit showed up a few days ago and I just soldered up a new HK 30amp esc to test it out on. Although I dont have any power numbers yet, I can attest to how great mine came balanced...sounded wonderful with literally zero vibrations throughout the throttle range. For the price, you really cant beat these. Mine will be going in a Skyangel A4 airframe.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old May 23, 2013, 04:15 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik
Received these two ESCs today and will give them a whirl to see how they perform. At $7.80 ea. they were dirt cheap, so one or both will either, 1) work okay, 2) play dead forever, or 3) smoke.
FWIW, I've used several of those HK SS ESCs in projects since they appeared - and they work very well if you need simple, reliable, dirt cheap, and not a lot more Should add I haven't really pushed mine amp wise, and have only run them with low kv (<=2200 kv) motors.

T
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2013, 07:47 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
Alright guys, these are the numbers that I just got on my new CS 11 blade unit; this was using a 3s 1300 25c pack that only had a 45% charge (sorry).

Max watts hit 216 and settled to 201 for about a 12 second burst.
Max amps hit 22 and settled at 19-20 for the same 12 second burst.

I'm charging my 3s 1300 40c packs now.....and i'm sure the numbers will go up a bit, but boy did it sound good.

Ill try to get thrust numbers tonight as well once the 40c pack is charged.

Just did a second test with a 3s 1500 30-40c pack (95% charge), here are the numbers...

Max watts hit 280 and max amps hit 24.3......big big increase! I bet the 40c packs will still bring the numbers up a bit.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old May 24, 2013, 05:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Thanks for all of the test information there, the numbers are sure looking promising for such a small fan. Looking forward to the thrust info, if the other info is anything to go on, should be quite good numbers.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Just purchased a pair of these myself from Hobby-Paradise, $45 shipped. Hopefully won't be too long till they're here, can't wait to hear them run up in person.
Old May 24, 2013, 02:48 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
I have nearly finished smoothing a contoured inlet duct ring. Once that's finished the polyurethane sealer is now drying I will put some shrinkwrap over the motor wires to create a fin over which to smooth the airflow.

Then I made an appr. 50mm long, 53-to-45mm, thrust tube to affix to the EDF's back end. (The 53mm is because it has to fit the unit's outer ridge lip; the taper is really just 5mm.)

After that I will cut up a Coke can to make a holding fixture to secure the EDF to my thrust stand.

Finally a little soldering (that part I hate most) and it'll be ready for testing, hopefully this Sunday. Unfortunately tomorrow, Saturday, I have to finish my German taxes.